Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
dpc34

ticks are on the move

Was at our hunting camp for a spring work weekend and came home with a deer tick making a new home on my back....hunting club is outside Newcomb...lucky us.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Was at our hunting camp for a spring work weekend and came home with a deer tick making a new home on my back....hunting club is outside Newcomb...lucky us.....
Did you use deet? Permethrin? Just curious.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
dpc34

I have been a Permethrin user on all of my hunting clothes for quite a while..nothing was used up there...we just never had a problem with them in the past....did use something called Mt Man??????I think that is what it is called...I was working in a good tick environment....clearing roads of brush and downed trees....will be more careful next time...the black flies are real friendly right now.....enjoy
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Bark Eater Too

Yeah, all the reports were predicting that this was going to be a bad tick year, and it is coming true. I've never seen them be an issue in the higher elevation interior of the Adirondacks. Guess there is a first time for everything.

The little buggers are very prolific down here in the warmer climate of Delaware / Pennsylvania.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I just picked my first ever attached tick off of my upper thigh/groin.
How exciting, another first!! Tick had to be from my backyard.
I'll need to keep an eye on the bite site, and watch for any funky symptoms.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Bark Eater Too

General advice is if it was attached for less than 24 hours you are probably OK with respect to Lyme. If more than 24 hours, most docs will advise a preventative dose of doxycycline, as opposed to waiting and seeing.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Then there's this. Be careful out there...
Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble

i guess that I'm the curmudgeon in the group.
If you can't tolerate mosquitos, black flies or ticks, my advice is to stay at home.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
MrKawfey

We had my son's annual doctor visit last week (he's 6) and we discussed the tick issue. She said after 20 years of telling parents to avoid deet on young kids she started telling them to use it. She felt that the known risk of tick borne disease now outweighs the unknown risk of chemical toxins in bug spray.

She also lamented that there might come a day when the risk from ticks outweighs the benefits of venturing into the woods for kids.

It's easy to say, aww suck it up or just stay home. But when it comes to my kids, if one of them acquired a life long debilitation from a tick bite, I don't think I could ever forgive myself. We're still going to venture out for now, but man am I nervous.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #10
mgc

Last week I found about a dozen on me after turkey hunting in St. Lawrence County.
I thought that I had found all of them but that evening I found three more wandering around looking for a home.
The next morning I had three of them crawl under my sleeves while I was sitting. After a while you get paranoid...every small itch becomes a tick.

I don't believe that there is a repellent that is 100% effective. If you are in the underbrush or if you are moseying around in tall grasses expect to pick a few of them up. Tuck in your clothes and make sure that you have a change of clothes...and check carefully when you change into them..

I don't use repellents because the smells interfere with hunting...regardless I'm not convinced they work. I have picked ticks from my dog mere inches away from the worlds most expensive tick and flea collar...
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
skillzman1

I have some property that I'm allowed to hunt in Greenfield, which has been bad for years with ticks. I have a tick repellent spray that I use and never see a tick. On occasion I have skipped it for fear of scent, and always have a half dozen or more ticks crawling on me several times I stopped to check. I use the spray, I still got venison off the property, never got bit by a tick. The deer was loaded with ticks though.
I'll miss a deer by being winded as opposed to playing russian roulette with ticks.

Last edited by skillzman1; 05-27-2017 at 09:11 AM..
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #12
snapper
snapper

skillzman1 - Since you keep coming up tick free when using your repellent, would you mind sharing with us the product you use?

Until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
I have some property that I'm allowed to hunt i Greenfield, which has been bad for years with ticks. I have a tick repelant spray that I use and never see a tick. On occasion I have skipped it for fear of scent, and always have a half dozen or more ticks crawling on me several times I stopped to check. I use the spray, I still got venison off the property, never got bit by a tick. The deer was loaded with ticks though.
I'll miss a deer by being winded as opposed to playing russian roulette with ticks.

What repellant do you use?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
MrKawfey

Can't believe the coincidence, but I just found out today that my father in law is being treated for a tick borne illness at this very moment. Not sure what yet, blood test will be back Tuesday.

He found an embedded tick Sunday and by Tuesday he was feverish, week and vomiting. Still has a high fever, can't stay awake, and sore joints.

We'll see
Old 05-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Can't believe the coincidence, but I just found out today that my father in law is being treated for a tick borne illness at this very moment. Not sure what yet, blood test will be back Tuesday.

He found an embedded tick Sunday and by Tuesday he was feverish, week and vomiting. Still has a high fever, can't stay awake, and sore joints.

We'll see
Godspeed!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
What repellant do you use?
"Sawyer Premium insect repellent clothing"
'Permethrin(.5%) for clothing and gear/ odorless effective through 6 washings'

I believe I got it at Walmart..not sure.
NOT intended for skin contact.
I spray the legs of my pants and hiking/hunting boots, never found a tick.
I've walked the same areas without using it and have been loaded with ticks.
Nothing is fail proof, but I won't chance it without it in certain areas.
I've had ticks imbedded before and been sick years ago, not worth it.
It also depends on where I'm at, in Greenfield I always find ticks. Hadley/Corinth and north I rarely find them. But this year I may not chance it in those areas either.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
bluequill

I second the Sawyer permethryn clothing spray and have been using it for a number of years and it works. While living in NJ I spent weekly outings at orienteering events ( bushwacking on a set course) through tick laden areas of eastern PA and south Jersey. Never had a tick on me while others using deet or other products did. I always treated my shoes, socks pants and hats.

The only times I have found ticks on me was while working in my yard with untreated clothing. I think the last bottle I bought was off Amazon.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
MrKawfey

So my father-in-law got the first results back and it showed a positive for anaplasmosis. I guess they are still waiting for the results of another test as well, not sure what. He got started on doxycycline on Friday and by Sunday was up and around and able to eat basic foods.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
So my father-in-law got the first results back and it showed a positive for anaplasmosis. I guess they are still waiting for the results of another test as well, not sure what. He got started on doxycycline on Friday and by Sunday was up and around and able to eat basic foods.
My friend is a PT who is treating someone in Albany who has the same disease from a tick bite.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
MrKawfey

That's where he is, Guilderland actually. Not sure if he got the tick at home in Guilderland or at the camp in Mayfield. He was working outside at both places on the same day.