Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Nairb

Black flies

Anybody know how bad the black flies are around pieseco area. Had a few people that went near there over the weekend and said that they were unbearable. I'm wondering if they're really that bad this year. The people that gave me that info don't head up that way often so I'm thinking they just didn't know what to expect.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
1bluefin

Black flies

They were pretty bad at Fawn Lake just down the road from Piseco. Oddly enough they were worse on the water then on land. Glad I had my bug shirt with me.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Lonehiker

I climbed Panther near Little Sand Point last Sunday late afternoon. Walking on the trail without spray wasn't a problem for some reason. When I got to the cliffs the black flies showed up and started biting. I put the spray on and that repelled them enough to enjoy the view. Being on the mountain they weren't unbearable, because I have been through much worse. But It could be a different story depending on where you are.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
superduty

Camped at Nicks Lake for six days ending Monday and the flies were brutal. Kayaking on the middle of the lake was fine but going near a leeward side of the lake was suicide by fly.
superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

I was in Nobleboro for the weekend... while there were some flies, I spent most of the weekend in shorts and t-shirts with no issues. I think I have 2-3 bites on the back of my head is all.

The wife and kids did get a few bites on the neck and ankles.

Also, spent some time in Speculator walking around 'downtown' and they were not an issue.

The only time I noticed them being annoying was Saturday morning down by the West Canada scenic view.

I was actually just talking with my father on how I was glad they weren't swarming in clouds this year.

One thing I have noticed is that bug conditions change change rather quickly and drastically
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Grey-Jay

Next week 80s?

The recent unseasonably cool and wet weather has subdued the black fly severity in southern Adirondack Park areas I have spent time. In fact mosquitos are more a nuisance. But next week's predicted 80s temps seem an unknown. The peak fly numbers could be over now or flies could come out in clouds with a vengeance in more seasonable weather. In trip planning next week, I'm assuming the worse.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
Wldrns

Expect to greet deer flies with warmer daytime temps. if warm humid nights, then punkies (=no-seeums) emerge in grassy areas.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Mallard1100

I was at camp last weekend in Long lake and they were very bad. Bug suit and head net a must.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
ADKxplorer

Black flies were horrendous in Vanderwhacker WF this weekend, head net needed even with repellant.
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

They are about the worst I've ever seen them in the eastern Adirondacks. Usually, Memorial Day is the tail end of their season for the Schroon Lake area, with only a few still out here and there. Even now, a full week after Memorial Day, they are still going very, very strong. I think the cool weather combined with the high levels of precipitation have resulted in colder than normal streams for this time of year, which enables them to keep hatching.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
nyestreet

Superduty... I spent the day at Nicks Lake Friday 5/19, morning paddle then pm hike around the lake. Blackflies pretty bad out on the water except when the wind kicked up, not bothersome at all on the trail.
nyestreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
Fly Rodder

Friday evening near Wells was no problem, I fished some creeks and didn't even bother with a headnet. There were few Saturday, but the breeze kept them from swarming.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
bluequill

I was out on the Oregon Plains Trail (Saranac Lake/ Bloomingdale) yesterday and not one BF or skeeter!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

paddling on the south inlet of raquette lake saturday they were not bad till we got to the rapids, then it was headnet time. the skeeters were worse than the BF's tho...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #15
Buckladd

Around Lake George they've been out once it warms up, which it's supposed to do later this week. So have the mosquitos. Black flies like running water and there's plenty of it courtesy of all the rain. Although, they don't like the 90-degree stuff they're predicting for next week. Neither do I. We just keep going from one extreme to the other up here.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #16
crkmeup

I was in West Canada Lakes over the weekend. They were very thick but left immediately after making a camp fire. Could not collect water or anything else away from the fire ring until the sun went down.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble

Let me ask you this, would you rather endure black flies or ride the subway in NY City???
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Let me ask you this, would you rather endure black flies or ride the subway in NY City???
Where's NY City?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #19
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Where's NY City?
My point, exactly.
Stop complaining about the bugs!
They've been here for centuries, we are the intruders.
If we cannot accept the discomforts of wilderness camping, we may as well stay home.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Oh come on Jim, lighten up!
Things just wouldn't be the same around here without the annual "Black Flies" thread...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote