Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
adirondackcamper
Pine Barren

Hiking with a dog

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted. I just wanted to ask for any tips or advice for getting started with hiking with a dog. I have quite a bit of experience hiking ( both solo and with others) but I'm brand new to hiking with a dog. I just adopted a 3 year old Siberian Husky ( I'll try to post pics) Her name is Keeva. I do have lots of experience with dogs. Just never hiked with one before. And yes before anyone says it, my plan is to take her on a bunch of short hikes just through the woods in my area before I take her into the mountains. I'm just looking for tips and advice for when I feel she's ready for overnight adventures in the mountains further from home. Thanks everyone

Steve
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Justin

Hi Steve, congrats on your new companion!
I'm not a dog expert by any means & all dogs are different, but what has worked out well for me is to take your dog with you where ever you go, as much as possible... Rides to the store, over to see friends & family, out to check the mailbox, bring out the garbage, even to work with you if you can, etc. Also, talk to him/her a lot. I think that it helps them learn certain words & helps with commands. And yes...go hiking as much as possible, and always be sure to use a leash when necessary. Not everyone loves dogs, so keeping your dog close to you & under control at all times is important, including for the safety of your dog. Most dogs love to run too, so play a lot of fetch, or maybe even include some jogging together when you can. Camping out took a couple of a tries for me before my dog started to get comfortable. Same with being in the canoe. Another thing I've noticed...Doing a lot of bushwhacking seemed to help her to stay very close to me, and help train her to walk behind me when I tell her to do so. Hope some of this helps, best of luck to you & Keeva!

Last edited by Justin; 06-03-2017 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Added a thought
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
peskypup

As I learned the hard way today: watch out for porcupines!
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
snapper
snapper

For what it's worth, I put Justin's suggestions into play with our new pooch and she's coming along as my trail companion. She walks well on her leash with I attach to my hip belt. So far she's well mannered in the woods and doesn't even try to run off after rabbits or deer; although squirrels still upset her to a degree. My next step is to get her acclimated to my canoe while on dry land. After that our first few forays will be in a small pond and then, if all goes well, we'll try paddling a stretch of the Susquehanna River that runs near our home. I'm also going to take her on her first few "camping" trips in our backyard so she can get used to the process. Bottom line, take it slowly and don't move on until your dog is comfortable with what you're doing. That's my best suggestion. I hope it all works out for you and Keeva!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #5
jensaito

There is a bulk of articles and special sites in the Internet about hiking with dogs, I think, you can find there replies for every your question! And don't forget, that your friend will be at every picture you take!
jensaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #6
gebbyfish

I think a harness, rather than just a collar is very helpful when you come to spots where your dog may need a little help out. With a big dog, you need to be concerned with how you'll get them out if they are injured or tired. I know I've heard some people will hike with a camping hammock to be used to carry their dog in case of emergency. Pay attention to signals the dog gives you. If your dog seems to want to quit and is laying down, you probably need to end the hike. They can't tell you when they've had enough with words. You'll have to deal with poop and I know some people have some kind of apparatus that hooks the poop bag to the dog's harness or collar. Better than you carrying it the whole way. Either bags or a shovel to bury it. You'll have to carry enough water for yourself and the dog and you may want to look in to a harness that allows your pet to carry some of its provisions.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #7
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Bear in mind that not all other hikers are fond of dogs, especially ones which gradually get muddy and smelly. Also, kids might not like dogs of any sort.

It's not "Call of the Wild" - although a husky, you have a domesticated animal, bred to have certain physical and psychological traits, ones which may not adapt well to such a stimulating environment.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote