Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
Hard Scrabble

The old days at Marcy Dam

There were signs advising hikers to keep off the cross country ski trail from the ADK Lodge.
There was a state maintained ranger cabin at Marcy Dam with a toboggan for emergency rescue.
The toboggan was probably stolen.
Marcy Dam pond is no more as well as the ethics.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Trail Boss

Hmm, "ethics" or "aesthetics" ... or a bit o'both?

My first time at Marcy Dam was in 1978. I met Ranger Peter Fish several times over the next 4 years of hiking in the High Peaks. I don't know if he, on occasion, hung his hat at Marcy Dam Outpost or just went home every night. The Outpost was manned back then and remains manned to this day (outside of winter). Trivia: I met Charlie Nolan (I believe that was his name) who used to man the Lake Colden Outpost year-round. He let us dry our wet clothes in his cabin one wet snowy Easter Weekend when we ambled in looking like drowned rats.

At Marcy Dam (circa 1980), I met an Assistant Ranger named Gary Tyler under the funniest circumstances. Gary said I matched the description of a runaway and he was not entirely convinced by my adamant assurances I was "Not the guy." In addition, I stupidly thought June would be warm and chose to bring a wool blanket for the two nights. The temperature dropped into the low 40's so I did look like an unprepared runaway! <s**t-eating grin> If anyone knows Gary's current whereabouts, please let me know because I'd like to say hello.

I'd have to say Marcy Dam looked pretty much the same in 2002 (spring water still flowed out of the brass pipe sticking out of the east retaining wall) and not all that much different in 2010 (spring water was now a trickle and the double lean-to was gone ... which was either Marcy Dam #1 or #3). However, everything went sideways after Irene blew through in 2011.