Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
rachelsdad

We No Nah Sundowner

Well as long as I'm in here.

A co worker has a 17' Sundowner. I've never really took to them due to the aluminum thwarts/ sliding bow seat but he wants out and offered it to me for $200.

Not Kevlar (guessing), dark green, tan ugly plastic seats, (apologies to you Sundowner fans).

Not a heck on them as far as reviews...which is surprising. I did notice no keel.

99% of my travels are lake/pond. Weight doesn't bother me.

Any fans out there?
Old 06-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Nehasane

Popular canoe a couple or more decades ago, tracks well, gets blown around by the wind somewhat.
Only poorly-designed canoes have keels.
Flat-bottomed canoes often have keels.
If you don't like it you could resell it for more than $200.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I've paddled them in the past, nice Adk tripping canoe, fast (meaning efficient), tracks well yet handles rough Adk lakes quite well. Sounds like the heavier lay-up, not so good for portages.
If your looking to move it , I might be interested in it fir my brother.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
electbc
Outdoorsman

I have a an 18' Sundowner in Kevlar gelcoat, I love it. However, the 17' version is said to be a completely different animal. For $200 it is a great deal, one hard to pass up even if it is Fiberglass. Wenonah makes decent foam padded seat covers, with or without backrests.
Here are some reviews on Paddling.com
https://paddling.com/reviews/product...wner-17-canoe/
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
58rover

sundowner would be a very good bigger water boat. Like said it will be a little pushed around in wind. I personally like sliding seats it allows you to trim the canoe with different sized paddlers. Also a keel is not needed.
I'd buy it in a second for $200.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
WaterRings

Be careful my friend

Nehasane said, "Only poorly-designed canoes have keels."

All the fans of classic & traditional wood canvas canoes would take great exception to that comment. Some of the best designed, best hull shapes, most highly coveted sought after and loved canoes all had keels. It could be said that only poorly designed canoes are made out of anything but wood! But I know that's not true so I will not go there.

Paddle on,
JCC
WaterRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRings View Post
Nehasane said, "Only poorly-designed canoes have keels."

All the fans of classic & traditional wood canvas canoes would take great exception to that comment. Some of the best designed, best hull shapes, most highly coveted sought after and loved canoes all had keels.
JCC
Some, not all...I own quite a few wood and wood and canvas canoes including one (or more) of each of the good ones. I prefer them without a keel...I consider a keel to be a barnacle on the balls of progress. If I scratch build I build without a keel. When I restore an older boat that was built with a keel, I will put it back on the boat...likely reducing it's profile when I do.
Some suggest that a keel protects a canvased hull.....in fact it can keep the canvas from sliding across an obstacle and lead to spills and broken or cracked ribs. The only keel ever put on a wood and canvas canoe that is forgivable is a shoe keel....I find that the one on my Chestnut is OK as it doesn't affect the way the boat steers and it slides over logs and beaver dams without becoming fulcrum point...... it does not keep me from being able to paddle/steer.....as most keels do.
On thing that you count on when you discuss keels is that you won't ever arrive at an agreement about them...
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
snapper
snapper

For $200.00, I'd snap it up in a second. Even in fiberglass (mine is Kevlar), it should be a wonderful boat and serve you well for many years to come.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - It's already been mentioned but the sliding bow seat isn't a bad thing. It allows my wife and I to paddle together and keep the boat level; I'm a bit heftier than she (LOL). If you don't want it to slide around, wrap a hose clamp around the tube and tighten it down once you find the sweet spot you want for balancing it out.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
rachelsdad

electbc:

Thanks for the link, there really wasn't a heck of a lot more info out there....much more here.

Thank you all.

He has been out the past few days. I'll catch up w/him Monday.

I'll more than likely grab it. If I don't care for it I'd be happy to pass it along.

I'm thinking ...oh....$200.00 plus a finders fee, (hint I like PBR).
Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
snapper
snapper

I've got 4 PBR from a 16 oz 6-pack still in my cooler!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:58 AM   #11
rachelsdad

I'm insulted with that offer...beer belongs in 12 oz cans
Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
snapper
snapper

Hey...it's what I could get in NH. Better than nothing