Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

New Boat

I had a small windfall and used it to purchase this. It works great on the mudroom floor - just ask my wife! Intended use is remote river sections and fishing the big lakes out west. First fishing expedition is a section of Otter Creek here in VT that I've had my eye on for years. Next s the Hudson River Gorge for an overnight trip.

Note to longtime Forum members: Ask Glen where HIS new boat is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.JPG (104.1 KB, 395 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Stillhunter

Very nice. That would be perfect on the Delaware River system.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Very nice. That would be perfect on the Delaware River system.
Possibly venue #3
Old 06-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I had a small windfall and used it to purchase this. It works great on the mudroom floor - just ask my wife! Intended use is remote river sections and fishing the big lakes out west. First fishing expedition is a section of Otter Creek here in VT that I've had my eye on for years. Next s the Hudson River Gorge for an overnight trip.

Note to longtime Forum members: Ask Glen where HIS new boat is.
You might as well just throw a line in your kitchen. You'll have the same results...
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
You might as well just throw a line in your kitchen. You'll have the same results...
Great suggestion! There were brookies rising to a Trico hatch in the kitchen sink this morning. I did find it difficult to manoever the new craft through the mud room door and past the counter island to get into casting position. By the time I got set up the hatch was over.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
gmorin71

nice, I have been looking at pontoons myself to get ON the river.

what is your plan for going alone? that is mainly what is holding me back from making the purchase. what i was going to do on the delaware is just float a 100 yard section or so, move the car, and continue.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

My plan is to bring an old beater bicycle and lock it up at the takeout. When I finish my float everything goes into a backpack and the boat gets chained to a tree while I retrieve the car. The other solo rule is to never run anything above Class 2 water.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
My plan is to bring an old beater bicycle and lock it up at the takeout. When I finish my float everything goes into a backpack and the boat gets chained to a tree while I retrieve the car. The other solo rule is to never run anything above Class 2 water.
Mine's rated for Class V. Maybe you shouldn't have bought a pool toy. Didn't it come in pink with yellow butterflies?
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
wildbrookies

Nice Glen!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Mine's rated for Class V.
On a very serious note one of the reasons I didn't buy a Dave Scadden boat is his marketing, which I believe makes unscrupulous claims like 'Class V rated'.

No boat is Class V rated. Maybe someone very experienced could pull off a Class V descent in one of his boats but the AWA rating system considers the difficulty of the drop, the skills of the paddler and the possible consequences if something goes wrong. Class V water can kill you if you upset and take a swim. Here's the AWA definition of Class V:

Extremely long, obstructed, or very violent rapids which expose a paddler to added risk. Drops may contain** large, unavoidable waves and holes or steep, congested chutes with complex, demanding routes. Rapids may continue for long distances between pools, demanding a high level of fitness. What eddies exist may be small, turbulent, or difficult to reach. At the high end of the scale, several of these factors may be combined. Scouting is recommended but may be difficult. Swims are dangerous, and rescue is often difficult even for experts. A very reliable eskimo roll, proper equipment, extensive experience, and practiced rescue skills are essential. Because of the large range of difficulty that exists beyond Class IV, Class 5 is an open-ended, multiple-level scale designated by class 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, etc… each of these levels is an order of magnitude more difficult than the last. Example: increasing difficulty from Class 5.0 to Class 5.1 is a similar order of magnitude as increasing from Class IV to Class 5.0.

31 years ago I walked away from the sport of whitewater kayaking after watching a very experienced paddler capsize in a Class V rapids (Bull's Bridge, Housatonic River) miss his eskimo roll and eject from his boat. It took close to 300 stitches to close up his scalp and face after his nasty , swim.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Glen
Check please

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
gmorin71

Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a pool toy.

hahaha sorry that was funny

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Glen
Check please

This is VT's real boat. Watch for him on a pond loaded with perch as they are known to be attracted to this color. For extra fun, bring a bb gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daves tube.jpg (64.8 KB, 263 views)
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 06-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
EagleCrag

I've got to give that fellow with the walker credit. Most would have given up the ghost. I admire him and we should be careful not to laugh as we may find ourselves doing the same some day.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Good point EC, Several years ago a friend of mine I fished with in his late 80's was still getting out. He'd wade out on a sandy spit with his wading staff in knee deep water and stand in one spot for an hour or two , catch a couple of fish and be happy. I took him out for his last fishing trip shortly before he passed away. I'm sure he fished on the River Styx on his way across.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #16
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
Good point EC, Several years ago a friend of mine I fished with in his late 80's was still getting out. He'd wade out on a sandy spit with his wading staff in knee deep water and stand in one spot for an hour or two , catch a couple of fish and be happy. I took him out for his last fishing trip shortly before he passed away. I'm sure he fished on the River Styx on his way across.

John M.
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #17
ADKpikebuster

What kinda pike waters you gonna take raft into?

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #18
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I've got to give that fellow with the walker credit. Most would have given up the ghost. I admire him and we should be careful not to laugh as we may find ourselves doing the same some day.
Point taken. Mea culpa. Post removed.

Pikebuster!!! Where have you been hiding???
Old 06-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
EagleCrag

vt: I didn't take offense at your pic of the fellow with the walker. But at 66 I can envision that day in the future! Fortunately I'm still very capable for my age but getting old is like an old rusty car. You know something is going to break eventually, you just don't know what or when! Tight lines.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
bluequill

I'm 67 and laughed at the photo, not laugh AT the gentleman fishing. I hope I have the ingenuity to come up with a way to keep on doing what I do when my parts break down. Let the folks laugh.....it's ok.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote