Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Edb 46 er

Beaver flooding

While hiking the Silver Lake Wilderness section of the NPT I came into some flooding by Beaver's. Heading north from "Fiddler's Pond" the trail has been re-routed a brief spell on the west side of the main trail marked with surveyors tape in orange. The Beavers completely flooded the main trail and if you're not looking for the side trail to skirt the flooding you will end up hiking through the flooded area. Keep your eyes peeled for the tape!

June 2017. Started on Sunday morning the 11th and finished the section on Tuesday morning the 13th! Met some cool people and definitely did not want to stop hiking but had no choice. The Silver Lake Wilderness will go in my history books as my most memorable hike and I can't wait to get back on the trail!
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
dundee

Thanks for the heads-up. IIRC, Fiddlers is just a couple of miles south of Rt. 8 near Priest's Vly?

Lots of folks will put the Cold River area or West Canadas as their favorites (no problem with either of those choices ) , but the Silver Lake Wilderness may be the best one that nobody talks about.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
general posts

Thanks for the trip report..I have hiked various sections of the NPT at different times. I am currently planning out how to start section hiking it in its appropriate order I.E. North to South, each section as I can knock it off. Having a 3 year old and another one on the way shortly, planning and prepping are the most I can do right now aside from maybe a single over nighter here and there.

Could you please tell me where exactly you started and ended your section and how you shuttled yourself to and/or from your vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

-GP
general posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
... but the Silver Lake Wilderness may be the best one that nobody talks about.
Shhh.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
Shhh.
Yes, I typed quietly!
Old 06-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
...but the Silver Lake Wilderness may be the best one that nobody talks about.
SLW is indeed one of the best areas to explore, especially once you get away from the NPT super highway.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Edb 46 er

I came onto Route 8 from the SLW and completely wanted to turn around and go back! No joke either, I was wilderness bound and very sad to leave, so, I just turned around and hiked back to Buckhorn (Fiddler's Pond) and spent part of the afternoon by the stream in the hammock relaxing before I hauled myself back out to Rt. 8 to be taxied home.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Edb 46 er

I had a friend drive me to Upper Benson, Godfrey Rd. and drop me off to start. Then when I completed the section I called another pal to come pick me up, it only cost me gas and lunch money:-)

What nice friends to go out of their way to help.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. IIRC, Fiddlers is just a couple of miles south of Rt. 8 near Priest's Vly?

Lots of folks will put the Cold River area or West Canadas as their favorites (no problem with either of those choices ) , but the Silver Lake Wilderness may be the best one that nobody talks about.

Yes, that is correct, Fiddler's is about two miles in heading south or very close to two miles.
I believe Priest's Vly is on the east side of the trail heading north opposite of Fiddler's?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
IIRC, Fiddlers is just a couple of miles south of Rt. 8 near Priest's Vly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Yes, that is correct, Fiddler's is about two miles in heading south or very close to two miles.
I believe Priest's Vly is on the east side of the trail heading north opposite of Fiddler's?
Just a little confused on exactly where this flooding is...
Priests Vly is located about a mile and a half southeast of Buckhorn (Fiddler's) Lake...
http://docs.unh.edu/NY/lpln54nw.jpg

Last edited by Justin; 06-15-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
dundee

Yes, Priests is on the east side of the trail.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
forgedin78

I think he's talking about a section about halfway from buckhorn outlet to rt 8. It's been flooded on and off for ten years or so.....lately it hasnt been an issue, just some rock hopping. But maybe the beaver have returned.
forgedin78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
I think he's talking about a section about halfway from buckhorn outlet to rt 8. It's been flooded on and off for ten years or so.....lately it hasnt been an issue, just some rock hopping. But maybe the beaver have returned.
The Beaver have returned.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
Quote:
The Beaver have returned.

Still confused, sorry guys.
Yes, Priests Vly is(was?) on the east side of the NPT, whether you're heading north or south....correct?

A section about halfway from Buckhorn's outlet (which empties into Dead Vly) & Route 8 would be a different location...correct?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just a little confused on exactly where this flooding is...
Priests Vly is located about a mile and a half southeast of Buckhorn (Fiddler's) Lake...
http://docs.unh.edu/NY/lpln54nw.jpg
Sorry, for the confusion people. I seem to have my Priests and Dead Vly mixed up. I can't be sure about the exact location so, I gave a rough estimate, But if any of you have traveled the trail south from Rt.8 there is a little footbridge over a stream that either flows into Buckhorn or out. But the flooding was before the footbridge going back in the SLW. It was definitely a mess, the dam was built right on the original trail and quite flooded. The only way to know is to go there and check it out. just trying to be helpful, sorry I couldn't give GPS coordinates. But nonetheless, it has been rerouted by some helpful folks looking out for us, just keep your eyes peeled for the orange tape. Hope this helps a little bit more.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
... if any of you have traveled the trail south from Rt.8 there is a little footbridge over a stream that either flows into Buckhorn or out..The only way to know is to go there and check it out.
Thanks.
That sounds like the outlet of Buckhorn, which flows into Dead Vly. It's been a few years since I've been there, so I assume that's where this flooding is, and not at Priest Vly, where flooding has also been an issue in the past.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks. That's the outlet of Buckhorn, which flows into Dead Vly. It's been a few years since I've been there, so I assume that's where this flooding is, and not at Priest Vly, where flooding has also been an issue in the past.
The flooding was not far from the footbridge.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
The flooding was not far from the footbridge.
Ok thanks again, 46er.
I think I understand now.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #19
Edb 46 er

Planning to do the West Canada section in the following couple of weeks? Soon as I get the time. Any side trips not listed you could PM me if you like. Always looking for some interesting areas to explore if not too far off the highway:-)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

PM sent.