Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Grey-Jay

Downstream Dry flies

In situations where water conditions allow you to only wade upstream of rising fish, can you successfully cast and fish downstream dry flies avoiding drag with slack lines? Is this possible mainly in slow moving pools and not riffles or tail water runs?
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
bluequill

If you are directly above and in line with a rising fish try casting directly downstream and as the forward cast straightens slowly lift the rod tip to almost 90 degrees causing the straightened cast to come back to you. As the line settles on the water drop the rod tip. As the line moves downstream feed line off the reel and move the rod tip side to side causing the line to lay on the water with a serpentine effect.

Two issues with this.......you don't want your forward cast to go over the rising fish as this will definitely put them down, especially in clear, slow moving pools.

Be careful on the amount of "zig-zaged" line you have on the water. When the fish takes the fly it could be difficult to have a quick hook set with too much line on the water.

Also, if you tie your own leaders they can be fabricated to lay down in a "zig-zag" fashion for situations like this. I used to have some recipes for them.....I will look.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
EagleCrag

I find that when fishing dries or nymphs downstream that you are much more likely to pull the fly out of the fishes mouth. Frustrating but sometimes there isn't any alternative.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Grey-Jay

Type of fly

A fly shop employee told me yesterday that unavoidable and brief very minor drag might be ok with certain flies vs. others. Cadis for example.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
dwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I find that when fishing dries or nymphs downstream that you are much more likely to pull the fly out of the fishes mouth. Frustrating but sometimes there isn't any alternative.
Tru dat, Ive lost a lot of nice trout when theyve run and positioned straight down with no way of getting an angle to side steer.
dwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
fishcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
A fly shop employee told me yesterday that unavoidable and brief very minor drag might be ok with certain flies vs. others. Cadis for example.
ala Leonard Wright! The Dry Fly as a Living Insect

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
fishcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
dwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
The context in which the shop employee was speaking might've been when you've determined a zero drag dead drift is the correct and possibly only approach to score.

However, there's many situations , using both cadis and mayfly imitations , while positioned up stream, and dragging the fly across in front of the rise and/or letting hang right in front is effective. Sometimes that's the only way they want it.
dwing is offline   Reply With Quote