Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
bluequill

Lower Osgood River

Has anyone paddled the Lower Osgood from the Hays Brook Trail this year? Looking for a conditions report......blow down/ beaver activity.

I paddled the upper portion today from Osgood lake to the second campsite on the river (just before the dam remnants). Nice campsite and a beautiful area with a mostly a clean sandy bottom. Plenty of pickerel weed for a late summer purple-fest. I had hoped to make the "black hole" where the river disappears but was under time constraints and had to turn back.

Thanks!

Last edited by bluequill; 06-17-2017 at 11:19 PM..
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Glen L

"middle" Osgood

Despite what the highly respected P Jamieson wrote, there is no black hole where the water disappears. With a willingness to fight lots of Alders,old beaver dams, & blowdown; w/ dogged perseverance one can connect the upper & lower Osgood @ hi water levels
Enjoy
Glen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
NEranger21

I frequently fish from the truck trail to where Hayes brook flows in...The river has braided from beaver activity, but the main flow is identifiable and float-able. I haven't seen any strainers or sweepers but I do hop around a lot and could've missed them. Good luck and drop the local ranger a line if you see anything of interest past Hayes brook, he'd appreciate it *cough cough*
Old 06-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

One of my first canoe trips was from where the Osgood crossed Rte 30 to Meachum Lake.
A slow moving stream, populated with small northern pike.
Lots of alders, but interesting.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
bluequill

I paddled that section from rt 30/ Meechum Lake upstream a few weeks ago. I wasn't able to go too far, maybe a mile and a half due to time/ daylight. It is a nice little river.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote