Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #41
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

The "Incident"

By all too many requests to keep PM'ing: Guess we will turn this thread into a twilight zone!

The "Encounter" (or non encounter if you will)

When I lived out in Wellington, CO, a small town 10 miles North of Fort Collins, I was driving home from Work about 1:30 am. I ran out of gas about two miles from Wellington. This was a surprise because I thought I had gassed up the day before. There was a field on one side f the road and woods on the other. Wellington is a town or 200 people, icluding cows, sheep, cattle and pigs so there is no traffic on the road from Ft. Collins.

I had walked about 1/2 a mile and suddenly every hair on my head stood up straight and I felt chilled to the bone. Having spent several tours of duty "in-country" with my SEAL team in Nam, I had experienced this before, usually indicating an ambush or danger ahead.

I loked around and could see nothing, neither did I hear anything, but there was a strange smell which I can't explain. it was feint, and onlike anything I had ever smelled before. Somewhere between french fries and week old cadavers.

For the only time i can remember in my life, I was scared almost to the point of paralization. I finally shook it off and double timed it out of there as quickly as I could. i ran all the way home, took a shower, thought about the whole thing, convinced myself it was just something crazy and went to bed.

The next morning, i walked down to the garage/blacksmith shop to get a can of gas and see if someone could give me a ride to the car. When i got there, a couple of police cars were there and as i wet to the office, the owner said "here he is now". the police asked me if it was my car on the highway, why it was there, and if i had seen anything.

reluctantly I tolf them about the feeling I had and they listened intently, asking me again and again if i had seen anything strange. I told them no and just that I had smelled that strange scent.

After about a half hour of interrogation and them also checking my job to verify when I left work, they drove me
down to my car. As we passed the place where I had my hair stand on edge, there were a whole bunch of police and other governmant cars parked by the filed and a lot of people in the field.

When i asked what was going on, the deputy tole me that the night/morning before, there had been three cows that were found dead. One was nothing but skin and the other two had all their internal organs missing and there was no sign of tracks of any kind other then the cow tracks.

I got to the car, went to put the gas in and it would only take 3/4 of a gallon and it was full! I got in the car, turned the ignition and it started right up and i went home.

I never saw or heard a thing, but it was the only time in my life that I ever felt sheer terror.

There was never any kind of evidence as to what happened.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there was no sign of blood either..
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #42
Robony

"Although many have reported details about this mysterious "creature", few have actually seen it. Reports from around the world tell of thousands of mutilations of farm animals. The number of incidences of these horrors have increased, but by the time man has discovered the damage done, Chupacabra is no where to be found. Those who have seen Chupacabra report that this animal stands approximately 3 to 5 feet in height. It has fangs, quills on it's spine that can also be used as wings, red eyes and grey skin.

It has been reported that Chupacabra also has an unusual "smell" and leaves behind a stench that resembles sulfur. The main diet of this animal seems to be the Blood of the animals it attacks. The blood is literally sucked out of the animal. As a result, this creature was originally referred to as "Goat Sucker" due to it's zest for Goats in Puerto Rico, years ago."

Sounds kinda similar to your story. There's lots of info on this out there. Just Goggle it. Also, FWIW I agree with you Jason. You just never know. There is a great movie from the 70'sa that I watched over and over when it was on Showtime. It was about a group of hunters on an expedition to find BF. The movie was a mockumentary of their trip woven with other "famous" stories, including a report from Teddy Roosevelt about an encounter he had. I'll bet ole Teddy had some great sources by which to score some local vegetation!
Robony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #43
scooch

thank you for sharing redhawk...really fascinating encounter.....what i could identify with the most was the "feeling" of terror....or perhaps an inherant ability to sense it. I am admittedly not the bravest person in the world, but am not a coward either...but with everything in me I knew not to ignore my gut instinct, because of the almost "paralyzing" fear...
I have great respect for anyones ability to connect from a sixth sense. It is an amazing gift....
scooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #44
marzrw

Redhawk...That sounds more like a 'Close Encounter' than a bigfoot episode...Especially since the 'authorities' were involved...There is 'way' too much unexplained phenomenon that our government has not told us to this day and it continues as time goes on...Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #45
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzrw
Redhawk...That sounds more like a 'Close Encounter' than a bigfoot episode..
I just wanted to point out that people should not be too quick to "poo poo" other peoples experiences.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #46
Mavs00
I am the sith

Hey, who knew, Hawk's crazy as a Sh*thouse loon.

Just Kidding. I never had that kind of experience, but for sure, if I did, I'd probably crap a stone and beg forgiveness from the great almighty. I'd be a babbling idiot {okay, even more than I am now} for quite some time.

Yup, I'll admit it here. Great story Hawk
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #47
Kevin
**BANNED**

"The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right? " from Contact
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #48
Wildernessphoto

There was a confirmed siting in Oluska pass this past weekend!
Strange one, Very tall, but bald...Came out of the woods and growled at the campers at Ward Brook....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gary.jpg (125.9 KB, 259 views)

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #49
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessphoto
Strange one, Very tall, but bald...Came out of the woods and growled at the campers at Ward Brook....
It's got 4 eyes too.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #50
Wildernessphoto

It's true...4 eyes, and noisy too. You can see, and hear him coming. Please don't shoot him when you see him...He's been tagged and we're tracking his movements on www.adkforum.com...

Old 06-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #51
scooch

Holy ***********!!!! Evrybody Ruuuunnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!
scooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #52
steve40

I had a tree fall down not far from where I was camping at T-lake falls,heard the breath get knocked out of something then heard it running through the woods.Probably a bear.Also experienced a horrible smell when hunting near Wagner brook in the same area.Again maybe a bear?Was not a dead animal smell.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #53
Boreal Chickadee

Steve-black bears have a smell that I would describe as musty. Very distinctive and not forgotten. Definitely not like a dead animal. At least that's what my nose says.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #54
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessphoto
It's true...4 eyes, and noisy too. You can see, and hear him coming. Please don't shoot him when you see him...He's been tagged and we're tracking his movements on www.adkforum.com...
and a large self inflicted hole on his golden dome

has to be the Duck Hole Guy!
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #55
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh
and a large self inflicted hole on his golden dome

has to be the Duck Hole Guy!
Actually it's the extremely rare and elusive white breasted bald headed beaver.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #56
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Redhawk, based on the descriptions (7 feet tall, black) it could be Shaq hiding from the media.
Shaquille Sasquatch?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #57
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Actually it's the extremely rare and elusive white breasted bald headed beaver.
yes it's true...It goes by many names as it roams the Seward range, bald headed Beaver, Sasquatch, bigfoot, and yes...Even the "Duck Hole Guy".
It is a dangerous creature, even inflicting injury on itself with it's ax...

Old 06-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #58
steve40

I know it scared me bad on my way down Wright
Old 06-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #59
AdkWiley

I know a guy who runs a sugar bush up in fanklin county. He went out to the sugar bush cabin one morning in the winter. There was a fresh coat of snow covering everything and there was a foot print on the front poarch in front of the door. It has large and had three toes. There was only one print and nothing else. He says he wasnt sure if the snow jsut melted that way but ther were no other spots that had melted. He has some guys that wont go into the sugar bush at night. After hearing that I came to the conclusion that big foot has one leg and wings. Makes sence seeing his name is "Bigfoot" , and not "bigfeet." Also he is hard to see because people expect to see him running around the woods, not flying above them. So keep your eyes on the sky!
Old 06-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #60
steve40

Will be sure to