Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #241
Edelweiss

Hi Neil-

Sure. Dick and I would be delighted to join you for drinks in Montreal! Maybe Sylvie could also join us.

Joanne

Last edited by Edelweiss; 10-29-2005 at 06:55 PM..
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #242
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Northville-Lake Placid Trail

Edelweiss, Dick, Neil, Hakuna Matada, Judgeh, Peanut Butter, Redhawk, Skyclimber 2971w... and all, thanks so much for the welcome. So...Hawk is proposing stategy . I welcome that since I'm still fairly new to being a woodsperson - actually, maybe I'm a woodsprincess. So, yeah, NP trail anybody up for it? Dick and Joanne (also a Cranie?) cool! Peanut Butter and Son? Let's stay in touch about this, OK?
wyldeflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #243
Edelweiss

Hi Wyldeflower (and fellow Cranie)-

Dick and I have wanted to thruhike the NP for some time now. Let's talk more about this. Maybe fvrwld could give us some more detailed suggestions since she hiked the trail last year. I like Hawk's idea for storing food caches which would work if we had two larger groups traveling from opposite directions. Our son Dan also hikes and backpacks. If his work schedule permits, I might be able to persuade him to join us for at least a portion of the trip.

Last edited by Edelweiss; 10-29-2005 at 06:54 PM..
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:03 AM   #244
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldeflower
So...Hawk is proposing stategy . I welcome that since I'm still fairly new to being a woodsperson - actually, maybe I'm a woodsprincess. So, yeah, NP trail anybody up for it?
We're definitely up for it. We've been hiking for some time, but I'd want to hear more about Redhawk's strategy, which I've heard about but never actually tried. Seems to me that both groups would have to be large enough so as to be able manage additional food for the first half of the trip, and both groups would have to travel a specified number of miles for a specified number of days in order to meet half-way. Does the overall terrain allow this (I've only section hiked it)? If there were an emergency of some sort in one group, that could put the other group in jeopardy. Redhawk, help me through my muddled thinking here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldeflower
Dick and Joanne (also a Cranie?) cool!
Edelweiss is the Cranie; guess I'm an "Eastmanie"

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #245
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
We're definitely up for it. We've been hiking for some time, but I'd want to hear more about Redhawk's strategy, which I've heard about but never actually tried. Seems to me that both groups would have to be large enough so as to be able manage additional food for the first half of the trip, and both groups would have to travel a specified number of miles for a specified number of days in order to meet half-way. Does the overall terrain allow this (I've only section hiked it)? If there were an emergency of some sort in one group, that could put the other group in jeopardy. Redhawk, help me through my muddled thinking here.

Edelweiss is the Cranie; guess I'm an "Eastmanie"

Dick
First I think these posts should be moved to the trip plannibg section.

An no, you don't have to have a large party to carry the "extra" food for the other party. You forget, you are not carrying the food you will be eating for the second half because the other party is carrying that. Both groups are carrying the same amount of food they would if they were hiking normally.
Both groups are also losing twice as much food weight at each camp since they are eating a days food and caching a days food. At halfway, no one will be carrying any of the dinner food for the rest of the trip.

If one group starts South and the other north on the same day and hike at about the same speed, then they should meet half way. Allow one extra days food just in case. When the hike is planned, the camping spots for each group should be planned in advance (along with an alternate "just in case")
I figure they would meet somewhere in the Lake Durant Area.

You just need to be sure that one person in each group has a gps and make sure you have enough batteries.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #246
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
First I think these posts should be moved to the trip plannibg section.
At the request of Dick and Redhawk I copied the last 4 posts to a new thread in Event Planning.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...5872#post35872
Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #247
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

Thank you for moving the previous posts to the "proper" place. The princess will learn to be better adept with thread handling, posting, etc. Thanks.
wyldeflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #248
dkoenig

Friends of Taylor Pond

Semi-retired techno-geek gone Adirondwacky. Details at:
http://denniskoenig.net

Live in Wilmington a shout from Whiteface, but also have property up in the town of Saranac that I call "Balsamea," where I escape from civilization in a 30-year-old little camper that took more money to fix up than to buy (one of those too-good-to-be-true deals) but I've loved every minute of it.

Latest windmill I'm tilting at, in the course of my quixotic obsessions: forming a group called "Friends of Taylor Pond" for anybody who loves that site in the town of Black Brook (southwest Clinton County), next door to Silver Lake and nearby Union Falls and Franklin Falls reservoirs on the Saranac River. Compiling a history of the pond, environmental & recreational initiatives (DEC is developing a UMP for Taylor Pond Wild Forest right now), and gearing up to promote development of disabled access to the trails there, similar to the great job they just did at John Dillon Park in the Long Lake area. Links at my site about that stuff. If you have a special interest, or even just a casual interest, in Taylor Pond, check it out.

On the lawyer hunting jokes here, I guess I hafta admit I've bagged a few (spent a long time working closely with them), but there's some darn good souls among 'em too. (You know, of course, how copper wire was invented? Lawyers fighting over a penny.) I think I've met as high a percentage of undesirables in my own career field as in the legal profession, and I can say there have been some lawyers who done me right in a lot of ways.

Tend to be a loner since moving up here to the hinterland a few years ago, but I figure if I stick around I'll find those rare types who can tolerate me and have similar interests, like wandering the woods and waters for no reason but doing it.

Gotta get a good pair of snowshoes this year. Looking for tips on good deals there, new or good used. Need large ones.

Stay warm all,
Dennis K.
dkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #249
Judgeh

What lawyer joke?

You're very fortunate you didn't chuck it all for a career in comedy.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #250
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh
What lawyer joke?

You're very fortunate you didn't chuck it all for a career in comedy.
Or Law!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 PM   #251
dkoenig

Then again, had I pursued a career in law, that'd have been a comedy!

-DK
dkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #252
vegematic

Adirondack Virgin

I'm vegematic and I recognise many names here from VFTT and the new RocksOnTop. I'm 38, vegan, recently married and mother to two cats (Inge, 6 and Wolke, 3). The husband hikes, the cats do not. I teach physics and astronomy at a private boarding high school, and get really...REALLY evil if I don't get out to play enough. Seriously, people I work with think I am by nature satanic and they avoid me at all costs. But if they saw me in July when I'm not in dress code and I have plenty of time to hike, paddle, cycle...they'd see what a warm and wonderful person I really am. Anyhow, the only relevance work has is that it provides me with money to buy food, cat toys, and new gear.

I've never set foot in the ADKs but plan to remedy that this summer. I've hiked quite a bit in all seasons in the Whites and in Maine (I live in ME) and even a bit in VT but haven't ventured "out west" yet. It's tough to motivate for a 6-8 hour drive to upstate NY when I can be at a trailhead in the Presidentials in 20 minutes! As I get closer to completing the NE 4k's, however, I am increasingly interested in exploring the vast unknown that is everyplace-else-besides-New-England.

So I'm looking forward to all your collective Adirondack wisdom and hopefully meeting and hiking with some of you as I expand my hiking horizons.
Cheers,
-vegematic
vegematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #253
redhawk

So lets see if I have this right. You pick on poor defenseless plants that can't run??

Welcome to the Forum. if it's the 'dack's you want to explore and learn about, this is the place.

If you're looking for some partners to hike with you'll find them here. Just be patient

Bunch of us here were up on the Allagash last August. Beautiful, but different topography from the Adirondacks.

And don't get the false assumption that the High Peaks ARE the Adirondacks. There is a lot of wilderness and beauty in the rest of the dacks too. Great backpacking, and paddling.

Hawk

Last edited by redhawk; 01-29-2006 at 03:44 PM..
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #254
twochordcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegematic
I've never set foot in the ADKs but plan to remedy that this summer. I've hiked quite a bit in all seasons in the Whites and in Maine (I live in ME) and even a bit in VT but haven't ventured "out west" yet. It's tough to motivate for a 6-8 hour drive to upstate NY when I can be at a trailhead in the Presidentials in 20 minutes!
Well you guys got higher mountains but we have more remote backcountry!

And I'll take more remote backcountry over higher mountains!

Seriously though, my father just bought a place in Wolfeboro, NH, and though I very much love New Hampshire I feel they failed to protect enough of that beautiful place - the National Forest is not large enough and it should have been made a National Park.

twochordcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #255
TheNatrix

Bio Thread

My name is Nathan, 24 years old, and I started hiking during my undergraduate study at Plattsburgh State. I grew up in Liverpool, NY just outside of Syracuse and never had any real exposure to the Adirondacks until going to college.

Plattsburgh State was great because they actually have a minor called the Adirondack Experience. Essentially students study the outdoors. At Plattsburgh I was able to hike quite a few of the peaks. Every year our Cross-country Coach had us hike one of the peaks for a team building activity, lots of fun but when you put 15 cross country runners on a trail together it eventually becomes a race.

I completed my undergraduate study and continued with my masters. This past May I graduated with my Masters and decided I needed an "experience". My friend mentioned the Northville Placid Trail and I became infatuated. I found this forum and the people here were extremely helpful. They even helped me find Kim and Back to Basics who was even more amazing! (After my trip I was able to relax at her place and listen to some good ol' James Taylor)

I now live in Rome NY and teach 7th and 8th grade English. The kids are pretty crazy but it keeps things interesting. It's tough to find time to get out on the weekends but I've been romping around the West Central Region quite a bit. I've seen quite a bit of wildlife around this region.

After the students go home for the summer I plan on doing the Northville-Lake Placid trail again and possibly giving the Long Trail a shot.

Thanks for everything everybody!
TheNatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #256
TEG

Tod here, just registered. I'm 20 years old and just recently took a leave of absence from Nazareth College in Rochester NY. I was a studio art major with a focus in 3D mixed media. I'll be participating in a trade school for carpentry next fall, and until then I'll be working landscaping around the Rochester area. I enjoy cold beer and Rock&Roll. I've always been a fan of the outdoors since I was a little guy. Started mountain biking in middle school and began building my own bikes in highschool.

Laying on my back in the field at Duck Hole last spring, the brightness and clarity of the nighttime sky convinced me that I should spend as much time as possible outdoors and in the mountains. I'm not a religious kid at all, but I felt like I connected to something more and I've never been at such peace before.

I have alot to learn, but I'm eager to broaden my knowledge. I'm excited to browse these forums and learn from everyones experience. Hopefully see ya'll out there!
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #257
Little Rickie

newbe

I'm 53yrs old,married andf have 2 kids. A son 17 & a young women 14.

I climbed Marcy in my 20s with inner city kids on am Outward Bound type trip when I was a youth worker in the inner city of Rochester. It was a great trip! Shortly after that I changed careers got married had kids and all of those distractions. I wasn't hanging out with an outdoors crowd and the Marcy experience faded.

I got involver in Scouts when my son was in first grade and have been involved ever since. I got my 2nd taste of the high peaks in the fall of 2004, the Scouts were going to climb Wright & Algonquin. Just before we got to the turn off for Wright a Scout was having trouble, he was exausted both from the effort and his medication. I had to walk him down & out real slow. The rest of the Scouts and adults went ahead. I was bumming real bad. I did the right thing and the only thing I could have but I didn't get my peak. My son summitted his first high peak without me.

Next weekend I came back with 2 Boy Scout buddies and we climbed Wright & Algonquin on a beautiful fall day, perfect conditions. Wright was so windy I couldn't stand up. Algonquin was clear & cool with great views. I was exausted at the end of the day and could hardly walk down stairs the following monday.

We all came back in December & did Cascade & Porter in 10-15 degrees clear, cold, packed snow trail, light fluffy snow during the night. The whole scene was a perfect winter setting. On top of Cascader the wind was blowing and covered in ice. The views were fantastic, perfect we were again excited and pleased with ourselves for climbing these mountains. I've climbed a total of 10 mountains. 9 since 2004.

I love the challange of the climbs and want to pursue my 46r. Everytime I finish I am determined to get in better shape. I hope to meet some climbing partners through the forum. My mistake when I was younger was I didn't stay connected to the people I did Marcy with and got to far off trail. I got a date out there, 2/25 and am waiting to hear back from some folks. I plan to climb at least 6 weekends a year and to do some backpacking with my Scout Troop. The forum is a great resource that I think can help me with both of these activities.

Thats all for now. I got an appointmnet waiting.

Little Rickie

Last edited by Little Rickie; 02-07-2006 at 12:31 PM..
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #258
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG
Laying on my back in the field at Duck Hole last spring, the brightness and clarity of the nighttime sky convinced me that I should spend as much time as possible outdoors and in the mountains. I'm not a religious kid at all, but I felt like I connected to something more and I've never been at such peace before.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #259
Rookie
Dream Farmer

My turn--

I’ve had a lot of fun reading this thread…figured I should make my contribution… (can’t add much to the collective knowledge on hiking yet—but I’m working on it).
I still haven’t figured out why I’ve gone crazy about hiking. I’m going to be 52 on my next birthday……why now ?
Luckily, I can still do everything I want. I’ve known about hiking forever, done a lot of canoeing, camping, hunting, fishing, trapping, boxing, and downhill skiing but the thought of hiking just came and went and there was never a hint of interest. If anything I would’ve said it looks like it would be pretty dang boring ! Now, …..my brain relates everything to hiking, or the planning of a hike, or getting equipment for a hike, what food would be good on a hike, or designing equipment for a hike… Jeeze, it’s consuming……Jeeze it’s so lovely !
Oh Yeah, about me :
The most important thing I’ve ever done (and am still doing) is raising kids (5)….I won’t go on and on about this but those of you who read this who have kids will probably agree that it’s the toughest, most important things we humans ever do and we go into it with so little training or understanding of the task at hand. I find that so ironic. We agonize over relatively trivial matters but consider it fine to blunder through raising the next generation.
I’ve earned a living doing many different jobs along with being employed at a utility for 25 years. I’ve worked days and gone to school nights and worked nights and gone to school days, got a few degrees (JD being the highest) and have come to know that experience is the best teacher. I make extra money for family vacations doing landscaping because I like the hard, hot, dirty work….hmmmm….that’s kind of like hiking ! Enough about me.
There’s a whole bunch of you that have impressed me with your knowledge, writing, sense of humor, energy, tolerance
and adventurous spirit. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #260
Judgeh

A Juris Doctor? Honest to goodness? Don't tell Redhawk but he's surrounded by legal types.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote