X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a little about yourself

Originally posted by mtgoat View Post
    I always find these a good way to find out a little about each other. Just be brief and tell us what your career is and why you like the outdoors, etc. I will add mine after we get a few. Feel free to loosen up and relax.
    This looks like a fun thread. Maybe find some old buddies. I started out at Sabattis Scout Reservation in 1969 and ended up as a counselor for summers of '71 and '72. Caddied at Lake Placid Club in '73. Ended up out west after H.S., but come back every few years to see the mountains and the Five Ponds area.

One quick story: In 1998, I flew into Lows Lake with Tom Helms Service (alone) with a backpack and one-man canoe. I had given my exact plans to family and Helms. I started exploring Lows, then portaged and canoed the 3.5mile stretch to the upper Oswegatchie. The first part at the west end of Low's was a canyon cut through blowdown (thank you DEC?). I had to take TWO hikes - one with backpack and one with canoe. Found that mailbox and signed in (hilarious). Rested on those nice benches at the top of the esker. Arrived at 'Beaverdam' wasted and tired and found that fantastic cold spring. Set up camp and saw a full moon rising at dusk, so I set out in my little canoe and my new camera and I am guessing I must have dragged over at least 12 beaverdams thinking I could get to Partlow Milldam (fool, I was). The moon was so bright I could see very clearly. I stopped to take in 'the moment' in the middle of the upper reaches of that Oswegatchie hinter-land when I was suddenly IN THE WATER! That damn tipsy canoe caught me off guard. Now, I have swam with sharks, pet and handled them in the Carribean, so nothing frightens me except - leeches - leeches near beaverdams. I treaded water faster than my legs could with that canoe rolling over and over and over, until I finally realized...yup, I had to stand up in the leech filled muck.

*shivers violently*

My boots went a foot into the mud with my chin just above water. I held the canoe up to empty it and gingerly climbed back in, knowing I was covered with blood-sucking worms. My new camera was ruined. You never saw anyone paddle so fast or carefully as I did that evening back to the campsite where I stripped off all my clothing to peel off those nasty leeches. Well, thankfully, no leeches were found. Instead, I had a ruined camera and wasted pictures of the trip, but a good story. I must have looked ridiculous naked on that riverbank.

The next day I was winding around the upper river around the ruins that is 'Pine Ridge" (was amazing in it's day - huge pines in close clusters), when my canoe caught a log sideways and the current tipped everything into the river. Tent, sleeping bag, food, everything wet. Cleared everything out and realized the trip was over. I ended up canoing to Inlet in a little over five hours downstream. For all the problems, it was four days in the wilderness I'll never forget. And I still hate leeches!

Comment

• you should probably stick to land. lol, good stories, welcome aboard.

Comment

• OK...since I've been a member of this forum for a year now, I guess it's time I intro myself.
        I am 51 yrs old, married, with four grown boys and one new grand-daughter. I am presently a school bus driver, church pastor, and professional taxidermist. Just this week I received my NYS License to Guide camping & fishing using canoes. This comes in part because my role as a pastor (at least for now) concludes on June 29.
        My first exposure to the ADKs was as a young boy living near Buffalo, NY when my dad took our family on a camping trip to Rollins Pond. While we didn't get to the ADKs often, I was hooked. After attending college near Chicago, my wife and I spent 6 years living in Casper, Wyo and then returned to Syracuse. That put us back within reach of the ADKs, and we introduced our boys to them by camping a number of summer vacations at Brown Tract Pond. Since then, I have camped, paddled by canoe, and fished throughout the Central, Western, and Northern ADKs. My wife and I celebrated our 15th anniversary by camping on Canada Island in Lake Lila. Two other trips made with my boys that I cherish the memories of were paddling from Long Lake to Axton Landing and from Old Forge to Rollins Pond. Now that they are on their own, its tougher to make those paddling/camping trips with them.
        I love exploring and fishing with and from my canoe! And my wife and I find little better ways to hang out together than enjoying God's Creation while camping and paddling, especially in the ADKs!
        I appreciate this forum, as it keeps me abreast of the many ADK related topics. Thank you to each one who makes this forum what it is!!
        And by the way, my user name comes from a particular "species" that many deer hunters have seen in the woods, but didn't realize that's what they were looking at!! If you'd ever like to see one up close, I have one on display in my shop.
        May God bless you with an enjoyable summer!!
        "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
        My pictures:
        https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

• OK, I'm new, so here goes.

Born in Wilmington, grew up in Jay (AuSable Acres for you locals) with the woods as my playground. Worked at the AuSable Club one summer and as a ski instructor at Whiteface for around 6 seasons when I was in school. Fished trout since I was 5 years old up and down the AuSable.

I now live in Virginia and work in DC but the older I get the more I miss it. If I could find a way to make a decent living in my profession up north I would probably sell everything and do it. I have lived in VA since graduating from college in 1996 but I still call Jay "home."

edit: If you happen to stop at the Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley, there is a wooden tomato on the wall. My father is listed as the first judge of the biggest tomato contest

Dave
          Last edited by DME; 07-14-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Hi,

I have recently moved my family to the area. I have lived in Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas and California before this, I am very impressed with the natural beauty I have seen just in the Rochester area and I am very much looking forward to seeing the Adirondacks.
            Although I have not been able to make as much time in the past few years, I did lot of hiking, camping and canoing when I was younger. With my new less demanding career placing me within driving distance of the Adirondacks I hope to spend some time exploring.

Most of my experience has been hiking and camping throughout the Midwest and a little in Colorado. I always appreciate good advice on places to visit and hike with my wife and kids.

Mesquite

Comment

• Mesquite - welcome...there are quite a few folks here from Rochester, if that's where you are. We sometimes get together for a beer night (need one soon) or a Saturday morning hike...

Scott
              “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

• Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
                We sometimes get together for a beer night (need one soon) or a Saturday morning hike...

Scott
                Yes to both!

Oh yeah... and welcome Mesquite.
                "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Mesquite View Post
                  Hi,
                  ...I always appreciate good advice on places to visit and hike with my wife and kids.

Mesquite
                  Mesquite-
                  Welcome aboard - and you're in the right place for advice. There's a million places to hike with the family in the Adirondacks, and don't neglect some of the places closer to Rochester (Finger Lakes trail, High Tor, Letchworth, Chimney Bluffs, etc., etc., etc.), not to mention the Catskills.

Comment

• I know him lets get him out and have some fun.
                    Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Rickie View Post
                      I know him lets get him out and have some fun.
                      I'm not sure that's a good enough endorsement!
                      “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

• I joined this forum about a month ago and am now seriously worried about lost productivity at work. I just found this thread this afternoon and thought I'd tell y'all a little about myself.

I grew up in Wellsboro, PA, doing lots of hiking and camping in those beautiful hills of north-central, PA. I've always loved the woods, any time of the year. Love snow, the smell of decaying leaves in the fall. I'm just a different (hopefully better) person when I'm in the woods.

Moved to the Finger Lakes region in the early 80s and soon thereafter my wife, Fran, and I found our way to the Adirondacks for a camping trip at Lake Eaton. We were hooked! Over the years we've made many, many trips up this way for camping, hiking, xc-skiing, canoeing, and just to be in this beautiful place.

Last summer Fran told me she had decided to become a 46er...the best comeback I could come up with was "Why didn't we decide to do this a long time ago?" We figured we had hiked 5 over the years, but decided to start at zero. We made a couple quick trips up in September and managed to bag 8 of the 46. ("Bag" is such an inadequate term for what we do, but I guess it works) Recently spent a week in Placid and managed four more peaks, so we're now 12ers. (See trip reports for reports and photos.)

Looking forward to getting several more done this summer and fall. Never seems like there is enough time to get up to the north country as often as we'd like, but now that we definitely have the fever, we'll see if that changes!
                        Here at home we frequently get out on the Finger Lakes Trail and state forest land near our home, as well as the Lime Hollow Nature Center http://www.limehollow.org/ where we volunteer as trail sentinels. We also scoot down to the West Rim of the PA Grand Canyon (see my Avatar) whenever we get a chance.

Cheers!
                        Steve
                        Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

• Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
                          I'm not sure that's a good enough endorsement!
                          Good one!
                          Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

• Hi, I’m Paul -- a 52 year old math professor. I am married 19 years and have four children. My forum name –starzero- was the name of a computer that we used in grad school. I have played guitar (not so well) since I was seven and I have hiked in the Adirondacks since 1981.

I first learned about the Adirondacks in a National Geographic Article (I think the year was 1974). I read this article countless times and tried to imagine what places like Indian Falls would look like. My first trip to the Adirondacks was in 1981. Since then I have returned 2 to 4 times per year. It has taken me this long to climb 29 of the high peaks. I hope to complete the 46 by next year and then do them all again with my kids. I have a ritual that I follow each time I have completed a particularly difficult hike. I call this ritual the “hair of the dog hike”. What I do is to pick what seems to be a much easier non-high peak hike and go for it. Some of these "day after" hikes have turned out to be really amazing experiences. In particular I have enjoyed hiking Big Crow and Little Crow mountains as well as Rooster Comb and Snowy Mt. I’m always open to suggestions for future second day hikes.

It has been nice learning from and about the other members of the forum. I will read this section for a long time to come. Regards – Paul – AKA starzero

Comment

• Originally posted by starzero View Post
                              I’m always open to suggestions for future second day hikes.
                              If you haven't already done so, try Noonmark, Hurricane, Ampersand, Hopkins, Jay Range (unmarked but easy to follow), Pharaoh.

Dick

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions Dick,

Noonmark has been on my short list for a few years now. I've heard that it is a popular fourth of July spot for viewing fireworks..sounds like fun.

You really have me interested in the Jay Range. I've just looked over the description in the ADK book which says "the only limitation to hiking in the Jay range is ones own imagination". Hopefully I will get there by end of summer.

Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
                                X