Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Vermont Canoe Little Tupper 12

For those who might have had the opportunity to check one of these out, how would it compare to the same sized Hornbeck/PlacidBoatWorks/Swift of a similar size? There doesn't seem to be much out there on it as far as reviews or comparisons. I am in the 'researching phase' of deciding which will work for me, (I'm leaning toward the swift 13.6), but I saw one of these pop up for sale and I'm curious what the general opinion is on them. Thanks!
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Sinite

Hornbeck 14

All I can tell you is that I have been paddling all over the Adirondacks and Canada for about 10 years in my Hornbeck. My 14' Hornbeck converts easily from solo to tandem. The hull design of my particular boat is very good for paddling stormy northern lakes. The Hornbeck crew takes good care of me whenever I have repair needs.
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
Rich Lockwood

Paddled one and have owned a 10 1/2 ft Hornbeck. The Tupper is much more tender with a narrower paddling station. Possibly faster.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Paddled one and have owned a 10 1/2 ft Hornbeck. The Tupper is much more tender with a narrower paddling station. Possibly faster.
Thanks! Exactly what I was wondering. it looked a bit narrower from the pictures and I was hoping it wouldn't affect the tippiness, but at this point I prefer stability to speed.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
richard p

Tupper

Are you referring to Vermont Canoe and Kayak's Tupper model? If so, it is a sweet boat. The round bottom, high seat and lack of tumblehome make it feel very tippy but once you get used to it (move those hips!) it is a fast boat. If you do a search here you will find comments from Charlie Wilson on almost every pack boat out there. Pricing on new boats is topping $2k so a used Tupper could be a good deal (they were about $1300 new).
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard p View Post
Are you referring to Vermont Canoe and Kayak's Tupper model? If so, it is a sweet boat. The round bottom, high seat and lack of tumblehome make it feel very tippy but once you get used to it (move those hips!) it is a fast boat. If you do a search here you will find comments from Charlie Wilson on almost every pack boat out there. Pricing on new boats is topping $2k so a used Tupper could be a good deal (they were about $1300 new).
Yes, that's the one. Good to know -- and thanks for the Charlie Wilson lead. I'll try another search. My first one didn't turn up much.

Here's the one in question: https://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/b...642773540.html

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 07-22-2018 at 07:48 PM..
Old 07-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Rich Lockwood

Tupper

Slipstream currently makes the tupper.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
richard p

Tupper

I forgot to mention that - yes they do. Production started in May. They say they used the original molds too.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard p View Post
I forgot to mention that - yes they do. Production started in May. They say they used the original molds too.
Thanks, I'm chatting with them now. Looks like they have a lot of possibilities.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Matt C

Swift 13.6

I would recommend the Swift over the others; all fine boats, but the Swift has the most comfortable seat ever made. It was also the only pack canoe with floor mounted seats I was able to use a single paddle in.
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote