Colden Lake and bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tenderfoot View Post
    And your bear-aware precautions in a lean to may be great. But the folks that used it the night before may have cooked in it or close to it.
    The time the bear destroyed our Ursack bags that was probably the case. We hiked in a Monday in late fall. That previous weekend we were told over 50 people were camping around Colden Lake. When we were there it was only my son and I.
    Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

I'm going to let the bears win this one. Instead of packing into Colden, my one dog and I will pack into the campsite at the 3.2 mile mark of the herd path from 73 going toward Dix. Having already climbed the big guy, I'm hoping we can get the other four starting with Grace.
      Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

I had a bear in the old Panther Gorge leanto with me as I laid in my sleeping bag. It was close enough to smell its breath. This was back in the 80's. It sniffed around and left. The frigging mice running over the top of my head was just as scary.
        Bears are the 'Alpha' critter in the woods unless man has a firearm.
        Untrained dogs don't deter bears if they don't want to be deterred. A trained bear hunting dog is another story.
        Slant Rock area use to be a great place to learn how undeterred a bear can be with dogs, banging pots and pans, yelling, etc.
        Take precautions, use proper bear canisters and all should be fine.

Comment

Working...
        X