Suggestions for short hike / hammock camp overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for short hike / hammock camp overnight

Hi, everyone! I’m looking for some good suggestions for a relatively level hike where I can hammock camp overnight. I had chemotherapy 2 years ago that left neuropathy in my feet, so not looking for a major hike but far enough to be remote and peaceful with a place to hang a couple of hammocks for an overnight outing. I appreciate all suggestions! Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you coming from and how far do you want to go hiking wise.

Comment

I am only 40 minutes south from the Adirondack Park, and could do 4-6 miles round trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of choices, particularly if you can get to the southwestern Adirondacks.
        The Black River Wild Forest comes to mind. Hike to Gull Lake and/or Chub Pond. Many other choices too. See:
        The 127,135-acre Black River Wild Forest is located within the southwestern foothills of the Adirondack Forest Preserve and offers a broad spectrum of recreational opportunities, from snowmobiling near the adjacent communities of Old Forge and Otter Lake to hiking on foot trails in remote areas.

Nearby is the Ha-De-Ron-Dah wilderness with relatively flatland hikes into Middle Settlement and Middle Branch Lakes, and beyond.
        The Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness contains 26,600 acres and is located in the western foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, west of the hamlet of Old Forge and the Fulton Chain of Lakes and east of Independence River Wild Forest.

You may want to invest in one or more of the Discover the Adirondacks guidebook series for extremely detailed exact information.
        This website is for sale! hiketheadirondacks.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hiketheadirondacks.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I won’t name the spot here because it would show up in searches. There’s a conservation easement in northern Saratoga county with 4 established tent sites within an easy 1/4-1/2 mile of the parking lot. All sites have thunder boxes, and are basically on the lake/pond. It may be close enough to you where you could even check it out prior to your overnight. I was at one of the far sites a week or two ago for an overnight and found it exceptionally quiet. I’ll pm you the info.

Maybe you want a longer hike than that, but something to consider.

Comment

What about somewhere in the Silver Lake Wilderness. Big Eddy?

Comment

Sent you a PM.
              Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Working...
              X