Putnam pond/pharaoh lake loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrailBlaser View Post
    Based on my experience there (mid-week) this summer, don't expect peace and quiet when camping on Pharaoh Lake. I was camped at the designated site just past leanto #2 and had to put up with the noise from a loud group at leanto #5 (across the lake) the entire 3 days. Contrast that to the first two nights at Little Crab Pond, where I had peace, quiet and solitude. Pharaoh Lake is a really beautiful spot. I came to the conclusion that in the future, if I want to camp on the lake, I will do so early and late in the season.
    At most we'll spend one night there. Or we'll skip it entirely, depending upon how the trip goes.

Comment

Originally posted by TrailBlaser View Post
      Based on my experience there (mid-week) this summer, don't expect peace and quiet when camping on Pharaoh Lake. I was camped at the designated site just past leanto #2 and had to put up with the noise from a loud group at leanto #5 (across the lake) the entire 3 days. Contrast that to the first two nights at Little Crab Pond, where I had peace, quiet and solitude. Pharaoh Lake is a really beautiful spot. I came to the conclusion that in the future, if I want to camp on the lake, I will do so early and late in the season.
      Try Whortleberry for a night or two next time. Some nice open views up on the Whortleberry hills also.

Comment

Thanks Justin, that is my plan. I almost "evacuated" to their last time, but it was so nice on Pharaoh, I decided to stick it out.
        "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
        - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Yeah, Whortleberry is nice. There's actually two designated tent sites there but neither gets much use because there isn't a marked trail to the pond. The first site is on the north shore, all the way down at the West end of the pond. It's a nice site, with plenty of flat ground.

The second site is on the east shore. There's not as much flat ground here, but the site is a nice one for watching the sun set for sure.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, I hope to check it in the fall or next spring.
            - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Whortleberry is one of my favorites. I've never seen anyone else there, even when Pharaoh Lake is packed. It's a slight bushwhack so maybe that keeps most people away.

I didn't know there are more than one campsite. I only found the one on the North end. Will look harder next time.

Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Looks great, thanks for sharing the pic.
                - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I’ll raise you one Pauly D... Pharaoh Lake & Mountain from the open slopes east of Whortleberry...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                    I’ll raise you one Pauly D... Pharaoh Lake & Mountain from the open slopes east of Whortleberry...

Nice photo Justin. I heard a bunch of dogs yelping in those East hills one night at Whortleberry. Hopefully they didn’t chase after you on your adventure.
                    Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Working...
                    X