Murphy Lake trail work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy Lake trail work

This past week a dedicated group of DEC folks, local volunteers and some stalwart trail crewmembers improved a section of the Murphy Lake trail a quarter mile or so from the Pumpkin Hollow Rd. trailhead. I've hiked this trail for the past 50 years and was excited to hear that they were working on it. This morning, I had a brief opportunity to check it out.

There was little evidence of the UTV's used to haul the equipment and materials to the work site. The "ruts" will most like fill with leaves and pine needles in the next few months and you'll never know they were there.

Shortly after crossing a small hill, the trail descends into a very wet area. For years, this section was covered with round logs; very slippery and dangerous. I've slipped and fallen several times on this section. It got so bad, people were walking off trail through the swamp to avoid the logs. Not exactly LNT.

Now, the trail is gravel filled cribbing that carries one smoothly over the swampy area.

I liked how the new cribbing was laid right over the old logs.

On a week where most of us were either stuck inside or complaining about the heat and humidity, these folks poured out their sweat to improve a section of trail that is near and dear to my heart. Thanks DEC, good job!
    Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-05-2019, 05:44 PM.
    Tick Magnet

Thanks for the report. I can't see any of the pics.

Kathy

Comment

TM - Unfortunately, like Schip, none of the photos are showing for me. I don't usually have this issue with your trip reports so I figured I'd chime in as well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

No photos here either plus an enlarged page.

Comment

Photos are very nice , I can see them .
          ~ADK's UPHILL ON THE WAY IN & UPHILL ON THE WAY OUT~

Comment

I just re-posted them.

Hopefully everyone can see them now.
            Tick Magnet

Comment

Great to see the state giving some more attention to this area in recent years. Many great memories there as a kid. My last time though there I cleaned up a lot of trash at the lean-to.

Comment

Thanks for reposting. All but one came out but you certainly get the idea of your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Thanks for your work.
                  Successful ascents: 137 (81 different) as of 8/30/22
                  Adirondack/Catskill fire tower challenge: 13/31
                  Adk 29er challenge: 11/29

Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad, Hamilton County Waterfall

Comment

Working...
                  X