Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

electric trolling motor on canoe?

Sometimes living in NY is hard. My wife had shoulder surgery so I was thinking I'd register the canoe and toss a tiny trolling motor on it. NY makes this process onerous, to say the least. Has anyone done this with a canoe that they weren't the first owner of? Any tips? It seems almost impossible, given the amount of provenance they seem to require:

You will need the Manufacturer’s Certificate or Statement of Origin (MCO or MSO) signed over to the new owner;
the original owner’s bill of sale from all subsequent transfers between individuals; and
a bill of sale from the prior owner (see #1b).

If a boat is 1987 or newer and 14 ft. or longer, and not documented, a NYS resident must obtain a title in their name before transferring it to a new owner.

I'm going to try, but I don't foresee success. I expect I'll get beat down by DMV in one way or another. And this doesn't even include requesting hull numbers and having them come and inspect the canoe.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Viking

I have been down that road, although it was a few years ago.

Bought a canoe at a garage sale with no papers. Went to the DMV with the hull numbers and explained the situation. Paid the tax on the $200 I paid for it. I was able to register it in my name, although in the State's eyes I am not the official owner of it. In theory, if somebody were to make a claim against it I would lose. However, the 87 year old lady that had it probably won't be coming after it any time soon.

Been happily registered for over 20 years.

I have 30lb and 46lb thrust motors. Shaft is too long to be comfortable on the 46 so I use the 30 which works fine. Make sure you keep the connections tight to the battery or you can get sparks and melt your cables.

I love it!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post

I have 30lb and 46lb thrust motors. Shaft is too long to be comfortable on the 46 so I use the 30 which works fine. Make sure you keep the connections tight to the battery or you can get sparks and melt your cables.

I love it!
Thanks, that gives me some hope, although I'm betting things were a lot less stringent 20 years ago.

I have two motors as well. One is very small, the prop is maybe 4" in length but it's the perfect size. The other is bigger, and like you said, has a really long shaft. I was actually thinking about maybe taking it apart and cutting it down, but it seems like a lot of work for something if I'm not going to use it much. Most of the places I like to go are motorless anyway. This would just be for quick trips to Cedar River Flow.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
Terasec

went through it on a 10' bass boat
was not a big deal, filled out form, local sheriff(think it was a sheriff)came over inspected boat, and issued a Hull ID#,
with that I registered the boat,
was not a big deal or hassle at all
https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boat...pplication.pdf
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Terasec

also if shoulder injury is an issue
remember hauling a deep cycle battery can be a pain,
mine probably weighs 50 lbs
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
went through it on a 10' bass boat
was not a big deal, filled out form, local sheriff(think it was a sheriff)came over inspected boat, and issued a Hull ID#,
with that I registered the boat,
was not a big deal or hassle at all
https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boat...pplication.pdf
Was it registered before? Do I need to try to get a hull ID before I register the boat? It does have numbers stamped into it. I managed to get the manufacturer's origin paperwork based on that. But no clue how many people owned it (if any) before the person who I bought it from.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
also if shoulder injury is an issue
remember hauling a deep cycle battery can be a pain,
mine probably weighs 50 lbs
She's the one with the bad shoulder, so it shouldn't be a problem. I was looking for smaller batteries, though, and found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076584FY7...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 07-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Was it registered before? Do I need to try to get a hull ID before I register the boat? It does have numbers stamped into it. I managed to get the manufacturer's origin paperwork based on that. But no clue how many people owned it (if any) before the person who I bought it from.

Hull ID comes first with that you can register
manufacturers origin paperwork might be enough,
is there a label on it stating USCG certification with max capacity?
I didn't have any paperwork for my boat, don't recall exactly what I did but wasn't difficult
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/boats.pdf

35 ah battery wont give you much run time

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs...motor-run-time
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Hull ID comes first with that you can register
manufacturers origin paperwork might be enough,
is there a label on it stating USCG certification with max capacity?
I didn't have any paperwork for my boat, don't recall exactly what I did but wasn't difficult
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/boats.pdf

35 ah battery wont give you much run time

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs...motor-run-time
No, nothing like that. It's just a Bell Canoe works Morningstar canoe. It has a hull number / serial number stamped into it on the front. So it technically has a hull number, just not a registration number. I think.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Bob K

Years ago, all I needed for the old aluminum canoe I bought was a tracing of the hull number engraved into it. Piece of paper layed flat and pencil at an angle should work. Photo will help too.

If no hull # engraved, it takes extra steps & more time.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Viking

Bob's reply reminded me of a similar situation. My father in law bought a Holsclaw (sp?) trailer kit back in the early 70's in Michigan. Since it was a kit there wasn't any paperwork for it, plus in the 70's I am sure everything was easier.

They had me do the tracing thing and checked to make sure it wasn't stolen and then sent the registration. Probably just take a cell pic these day's.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Bob's reply reminded me of a similar situation. My father in law bought a Holsclaw (sp?) trailer kit back in the early 70's in Michigan. Since it was a kit there wasn't any paperwork for it, plus in the 70's I am sure everything was easier.

They had me do the tracing thing and checked to make sure it wasn't stolen and then sent the registration. Probably just take a cell pic these day's.
Believe it or not, they still want the tracing. I guess that somehow proves you have the physical boat. Or at least you were standing in front of the boat at the time.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #13
Bob K

After my first trip to DMV ( this was maybe 15 years ago) and explaining that the old canoe I bought had no engraved hull #, it was clear that having a tracing would get my boat registered in minutes.

I returned an hour later with a tracing that made them happy even though the numbers & letters didn't match any manufacturers code in their database. Why my boat ( now retired) has a hull # identical to my 1981 Rockwell table saw remains a strange coincidence.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
After my first trip to DMV ( this was maybe 15 years ago) and explaining that the old canoe I bought had no engraved hull #, it was clear that having a tracing would get my boat registered in minutes.

I returned an hour later with a tracing that made them happy even though the numbers & letters didn't match any manufacturers code in their database. Why my boat ( now retired) has a hull # identical to my 1981 Rockwell table saw remains a strange coincidence.
Here's to you.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 PM   #15
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post

What's so weird is that you even noticed; I mean what ARE the chances?
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM   #16
Green Drake

Not that I would ever advocate breaking the law in any way because that would be irresponsible and immoral, but the fine for an unregistered canoe with an electric trolling motor is less than tbe cost of obtaining a title and 3 year registration.

Just saying.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Drake View Post
Not that I would ever advocate breaking the law in any way because that would be irresponsible and immoral, but the fine for an unregistered canoe with an electric trolling motor is less than tbe cost of obtaining a title and 3 year registration.

Just saying.
What IS that fine? You could save me a boatload, er a lot of money.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
mike7575

In the eighty's I had a coleman canoe that I put a 4 horse motor on. I was told 2 different times by the DEC to put my numbers on it ( I did have it registered, they checked). When I sold it still didn't have numbers and I had no tickets. Good Luck
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #19
OntarioSkiBum

Try this one... I have an inflatable boat that I used to use with a small gas motor. In NYS, the law is that for short stays, the out of state licensing applies. Problem is in Ontario, we don't register boats under 10hp.

I called the DMV in Albany about this. The agent and her colleagues really knew the answer straight up. After a while they seemed to think I was okay with my unlicensed raft. Given the lack of certainty though I left my motor home.

On that trip, I saw a DEC agent and asked how they interpreted the rule. Their opinion was I needed a registration in my home state/province.

OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

Mission accomplished in a single trip. I had tracings and pictures and manufacturer certificate of origin and even (ahem) a bill of sale. Had a bit of a scare when my first two credit cards were declined, but luckily I had my checkbook as backup. No, I didn’t get hacked as I first feared. Right after my third card was declined it started happening to everyone. It was pretty embarrassing - at first. So I guess the moral of the story for the dmv is the same as hiking and camping. Be prepared. Yes, I had a knife, lighter and a flashlight that wasn’t my phone. What? It’s how I roll.