Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
madison

Pillsbury Mt

Hey All,

I'll be in the Lewey Lake area for the 2nd time this season in mid September. I'm thinking of climbing Pillsbury Mt for the first time. I've done about a dozen hikes from the Pillsbury trailhead over the years but somehow have never climbed this mountain. My question is- is the hike worth it? I know the firetower is closed these days. Are there still views? I'm also thinking of a dayhike to Pillsbury Lake, which I've visited a few times but it's been about 5 years or so. Any other suggested day hikes in the area? Due to ankle issues I'm trying to keep hikes at around 5 miles.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I believe only the cab is closed. Hikers are permitted to climb to the last landing below the cab. The views from the landing are decent.

If I was to choose a hike from that trailhead, though, I'd probably still pick Pillsubry Lake over Pillsbury Mountain. Alternatively, if you're OK with driving all the way to the west end of the Perkins Clearing easement, you could day hike to Spruce Lake (a bit less than 6 miles round trip).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Surprisingly (to me) it's been 8 years since MDB and I climbed Pillsbury...it's unlikely that the trees have grown tall enough to block the views from the stairs.

Have a look:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr6sf2V6ycQxwaym8

I would also recommend that you hike to Pillsbury Lake, but bring a boat and check out the old carry trail to Cedar Lakes for me.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
adknomad

That old carry ( as of June 8th this year) was still there but a bit hard to follow from Pillsbury to the junction. From there to Whitney was cake though there was one large spruce down. From the junction to cedar is doable but the beaver flow was higher than it usually is so a bushwhack was needed. I have the trail mapped if you're going back there.
adknomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

If youíre camping nearby you might not want to get too early a start. My only time up there was several years ago (during Sept), it was a pretty quick climb if recall correctly, and the fog/clouds hadnít cleared out yet so I had no views whatsoever from the steps of the fire tower. Got back down the mountain & back to the parking area and sure enough blue skies all around.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Pauly D.

I'm sure you've already done it but if you're at Lewey Lake maybe try Snowy Mountain. It's more than 5 miles round trip but the first few miles are just walking in the woods. The ascent is kind of steep in spots but it has good views from both sides. There's also a fire tower that was open the last time I hiked it.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
madison

Thanks everyone. I'll have 3 days so I might do both Pillsbury Mt and Pillsbury Lake, on separate hikes. I did Snowy once years ago and wouldn't mind doing it again but it will have to be after I get through this Achilles Tendonitus I'm dealing with.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
Banjoe

I just went up Pillsbury a couple weeks ago and all was good. The road to the trail head is in excellent shape, the stairs of the fire tower are open (some even have fencing for your protection), and the views were great. I actually did go early to beat the storms expected later in the day and was up there alone for almost an hour. Materials were dropped in the spring, judging by the vegetation growing around it, to do repairs on the cabin and tower. Both need it.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote