Conoe Trip Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conoe Trip Suggestions

My brother and I planning to do a three day, 2 night trip. Would need to rent canoe at an outfitter.

I am a relatively experienced backpacker/ bushwacker and have some experience with canoes but I don't own one. I'm hoping to explore/ fish/ camp in some nice adk ponds, lakes, rivers and streams. This will be in mid October.

This would be first conoe trip for me. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rent a state canoe at Taylor Pond, or another at Mac's Guide service in Saranac Lake, canoe to one of the leantos, hang out/fish and do some canoeing, climb/bushwack Catamount the next day and head out the next.
    You'll get in good fishing time and learn much in a quiet and beautiful place. Might even see a moose.

You can also canoe very close by, Union Falls Pond, Silver Lake and Franklin Falls Pond but the best fishing should be in Taylor. The north end is shallow, the south deep.
    Lake Everest in Wilmington is also close by and fishable.

Comment

Rent at Racquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake. You'll have lots of trips to choose from: Lows Lake, Little Tupper Lake, Round Lake Wilderness and if you drive a bit further, the Oswegatchie River. Rob and Anne can help you decide and will take good care of you.
      "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
      - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

How about renting from St Regis Canoe outfitters on Floodwood rd.
        They are just on the edge of the canoe wilderness area
        Multitude of trips right from their door
        No motorized anything will you find
        Fishing is good (I’m told) watch the seasons

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
          How about renting from St Regis Canoe outfitters on Floodwood rd.
          They are just on the edge of the canoe wilderness area
          Multitude of trips right from their door
          No motorized anything will you find
          Fishing is good (I’m told) watch the seasons
          Is canoeing in October more difficult because it's colder/ windier? Or not bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
            I'm hoping to explore/ fish/ camp in some nice adk ponds, lakes, rivers and streams. This will be in mid October.

Just an FYI: Regular trout season closes on October 15th.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
              Is canoeing in October more difficult because it's colder/ windier? Or not bad?

It would be cooler and you might see snow. If the leaves haven't fallen it'll be lovely.
              Something to consider; in cooler weather you will have more clothes and maybe more gear all which equal weight which may effect boat handling.
              Also heavier clothes and boots truly require life vests whenever paddling or if you roll over you sink to the bottom and there they will find you standing straight up and still holding your breath [hopefully], three days later, if they find you.
              I canoed many times in heavy wool and boots just before the ice appeared in November so I speak from experience...tho I never rolled it then
              Last edited by Woodly; 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys!

Comment

Working...
                X