No announcement yet.

Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read in older books about the tradition of using hidden boats at remote waters, but I never tried it myself. I don't fish, so I had less incentive than some. Now I take a canoe with me and very much enjoy traveling that way, but I know it doesn't leak and will probably get me where I'm going. My other concern about using hidden boats when I found them was that the owner or someone who claimed to be the owner might come while I was out on the water and be vexed, not that it would probably really matter but I tend to think that the kind of folks who leave boats in the woods are probably not the most community-minded and might not be very nice about it.
    Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
      ...I tend to think that the kind of folks who leave boats in the woods are probably not the most community-minded and might not be very nice about it.
      Zach
      I actually met the owner of a stashed rowboat once. I told him that I had used the boat a few times in the past & always returned it where I found it. He was actually very nice about it & said that’s why he & his buddy left it there several years ago for others to use. We had a pleasant conversation. He knew it was illegal but didn’t seem to care & neither did I, nor did the local Ranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
        I actually met the owner of a stashed rowboat once. I told him that I had used the boat a few times in the past & always returned it where I found it. He was actually very nice about it & said that’s why he & his buddy left it there several years ago for others to use. We had a pleasant conversation. He knew it was illegal but didn’t seem to care & neither did I, nor did the local Ranger.
        Yep, theres more important things then a boat left behind. It might even come in handy some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
          I'm glad it worked out so well for all concerned. I just didn't want to take the chance, I guess.
          Zach

Comment

I've never used one but have seen them. Usually bring my own. But, as long as it's being used, and most are, I have no issue with it. The problem is that some are left in too obvious places and get damaged. I've seen them destroyed by rocks and bullet holes. Stash them in a place where they're not obtrusive and if someone finds it and uses it they s/b expected to put it back the way they found it.
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

A few distinctions that no one has mentioned:

In the case of boats that are locked up (i.e., chained up and padlocked to a tree), this is storage of personal property on state land. In these circumstances, the state will aggressively pursue remedies- including cutting the chain/locks, hauling the boat out of the backcountry (if feasible) and entering it into evidence storage, attempting to track down an owner and issue citations, etc.

In the case of boats that are not locked up and are available for anyone to use: These are generally considered lower priority. It's less a case of stored personal property and more a case of abandoned property, and realistically it's just not feasible for the state to constantly pursue action in regards to "first come, first serve" boats on lakes- given the large number of them across the park as well as the remote locations many of them reside in. So generally speaking, there is a bit of an expectation (even if unofficial) that if there is a boat on state land, then at the very least it should be available for anyone to use.

That's not to say that the state doesn't take any action regarding unlocked boats on state land. As Justin pointed out, the state flew a bunch of boats (generally the ones in the worst shape and posing the greatest safety threat) out of Pharoah Lake a few years ago. And about 10+ years ago, there was a big push across the Adirondack Park to try and get as many boats out of the backcountry as possible that resulted in quite a few boats being taken off state land throughout the park.

Another important consideration that has yet to be mentioned: Contrary to what often appears to be common belief, the life jacket law does very much apply to the backcountry- and it is often strictly enforced. Rangers will issue tickets for paddlers without life jackets in the backcountry while at the same time ignoring the fact that they are using a boat that (technically) isn't supposed to be there.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in, DSett. You always have a great nack for telling it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                  Another important consideration that has yet to be mentioned: Contrary to what often appears to be common belief, the life jacket law does very much apply to the backcountry- and it is often strictly enforced. Rangers will issue tickets for paddlers without life jackets in the backcountry while at the same time ignoring the fact that they are using a boat that (technically) isn't supposed to be there.
                  *raises hand* I have a question: Would a blow up snorkeling vest count as a life jacket, or does it have to be certified somehow? I ask because those are very light and flat when not full of air, and could easily be tossed in a pack for a "just in case I want to use a boat" situation.

Comment

It has to be Coast Guard approved type I, II, III, or V life jacket.

For backcountry use, some paddlers will carry inflatable Type V life jackets- these are small vests with a CO2 cartridge that are designed to inflate upon pulling a ripcord. These are often seen as preferable to Type I/II/III life jackets as they tend to be less bulkier (and lighter). However, it's worth pointing out that unlike Type I/II/III life jackets, which need not be worn during warmer weather to be legal, Type V life jackets are only legal when worn, in any conditions.

There's more info in the following links:

Last edited by DSettahr; 09-11-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                      It has to be Coast Guard approved type I, II, III, or V life jacket.

For backcountry use, some paddlers will carry inflatable Type V life jackets- these are small vests with a CO2 cartridge that are designed to inflate upon pulling a ripcord. These are often seen as preferable to Type I/II/III life jackets as they tend to be less bulkier (and lighter). However, it's worth pointing out that unlike Type I/II/III life jackets, which need not be worn during warmer weather to be legal, Type V life jackets are only legal when worn, in any conditions.

There's more info in the following links:

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boat...atersGuide.pdf
                      Makes sense. I have a rip cord inflatable I wear while canoeing. They make ones that auto deploy when they get wet too, but I calculated the odds of me getting knocked out and needing that feature against how often I'd deploy it by mistake and opted for the manual one.

Comment

Working...
                      X