Allen from the east / Boreas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen from the east / Boreas

I have explored the area to the east of Allen Mountain, and come with in about 2 miles of the summit. I've never attempted an ascent however. Anyone tried it yet?

Jim Goodwin tried it along Sand Creek, said it was awful (as in blowdown). I would venture to guess that it hasn't changed much in 50 years, but you never know.

Comment

TR from a bushwhack of Allen I did in 2013. A portion of our route went across a direct line from the south.
      The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

With the road open to La Bier Flow will a new herd path develop up Allen?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          With the road open to La Bier Flow will a new herd path develop up Allen?
          That was one of the concerns during the public comment period & classification debate. Now that the access has been made a lot more easier I’m sure it’s probably bound to happen, just like the litter, makeshift campsites, and TP piles I found at Boreas Ponds last fall.

Comment

Yeah, just look at what the access has done to paddling on Boreas.

Comment

Actually, in the big scheme of things a herd path from White Lily to Allen is IMO not all that bad of a thing.

Comment

Yeah, just look at what the access has done to paddling on Boreas.
                Actually, in the big scheme of things a herd path from White Lily to Allen is IMO not all that bad of a thing.
                Shorter Miles of Hope.

Comment

Ok, I’ve got your route plan. Hike in from Elk Lake to about the 2800 contour. Leave the trail and using your compass hike/bushwhack West, climbing all the time. Your goal is McDonnel Mountain, 3937 feet. Some where you will, (we needed to), set up a minimal camp for the night. From the top of McD Mountain it is an easy walk down the shoulder and up Allan. We then went West circling counter clockwise to avoid the cliffs to the SE of Allen to the 3300 contour. From that contour we traversed gently down to the 2700 line aiming for the kinda flat area just east of the trail to the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by richard1726 View Post
                    From the top of McD Mountain it is an easy walk down the shoulder and up Allan.
                    Is that the case? I thought it still looked quite thick in there and deceptively long, so I dropped off McDonnel and headed directly for Skyline Brook (which turned out to be the worst woods I had ever encountered).
                    If it's not too bad between Allen and McDonnel on the ridge, then maybe that's the best approach after all for McDonnel - just take the trail to Allen and continue on to McDonnel and back.
                    Spencer Bigfoot

Comment

Ya ya, the spruce is very thick, but in the Fall with out bugs you can push your way through. We moved at about 1/2 to 1/4 mile per hour at times. This was a true trail-less experience. And let me tell you zero mud! Map, compass and mechanical altimeter no electronics.

Comment

Working...
                      X