Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
TBone13

Question November Camping

Hi All,
A small group of us are looking to bust out the canoes in mid November for some camping/fishing/getting away/etc. for a couple of nights.This is our first time out to the Whitney Wilderness area so any tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.
The goal would be to stay on Little Tupper but depending on the wind and weather conditions, we may go to Round Lake as a back up if the waters are too choppy. I know how unpredictable the weather can be in this area but we will be using a canvas tent with a little stove.
Any tips for bass fishing in those colder temperatures? (I know the trout are catch and release only).
Anyone go that time of year, experiences?
Thanks in advance!
TBone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone13 View Post
Hi All,
A small group of us are looking to bust out the canoes in mid November for some camping/fishing/getting away/etc. for a couple of nights.This is our first time out to the Whitney Wilderness area so any tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.
The goal would be to stay on Little Tupper but depending on the wind and weather conditions, we may go to Round Lake as a back up if the waters are too choppy. I know how unpredictable the weather can be in this area but we will be using a canvas tent with a little stove.
Any tips for bass fishing in those colder temperatures? (I know the trout are catch and release only).
Thanks in advance!
You may be "busting" out lake ice as well. Here is a mid November Indian Lake trip with canvas tent (no fishing but a hunting trip): https://youtu.be/WKba1Z-Y0bA
Old 09-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
bridgeman

Catch and Release for trout only until October 15. I couldn't find the language, although I believe fishing for all species would be closed after that date for waters containing trout species.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

When in November? It might make a huge difference.
Here's a look at a paddle to Wolf Pond (Blue Ridge Rd, near the Boreas) in late November. Similar elevations, but LTL is farther north yet...Oh, and Round Lake can froth up pretty good too.

BTW, I've been in mid October (Essex Chain) and had to wait for skim ice to soften enough that we could break through and paddle out!

I say, roll the dice and hope for paddling in, plan for hiking in.

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Bob K

Note that a few campsites on the N shore of LTL are accessible by foot along the gated road. That could be a safety backup. Be prepared for cold & wind.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:58 AM   #6
TrailBlaser

November paddle trips can be memorable. In the late 80s-early 90s my last canoe trip of the season was on Veterans Day weekend. I would usually paddle the Oswegatchie, but one year I chose Lows instead. I never had a problem with ice, but got snowed on a few times; once fairly heavy on Oswegatchie. The most memorable was the year I went to Lows. I was camped in Grass Pond and on the second night was awoken by the wind and snow. It was one heck of a snowstorm. The lake was so rough I had to paddle and carry through the bays on the north shore to get out. Fortunately back then I had my '88 4Runner, which was the only vehicle in the lot when I reached the lower dam. I had to put it in low 4WD to get out the access road. This year I was planning on resurrecting that tradition, but just found out I have to be in DC that weekend. I guess I will have to wait until next November to tempt fate again!
Old 10-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
TBone13

Thanks everyone for all the input! Looks like I should re-think not getting my kevlar skid plates for the front of the canoe, and maybe bring some ice axes in addition to paddles haha.
Great video and pics, Bioguide and Stripperguy, I appreciate it. We're aiming for a start date of Nov. 14th/15th so looks like we'll roll the dice and have some back up plans. Great information to know that some campsites on the North shore are hikable, thank you Bob K.
Great story TrailBlaser, those "oh crap" adventure moments always end up being the most memorable ones. Last year we did a few nights in the Delaware Wild Forest (Andes, NY) in mid October. The first two days were beautiful in the mid 60's and on the last day it was snowing sideways. Windy to the point where we had to drag the canoes along the shoreline and hike out. It was an adventure!
TBone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
snapper
snapper

TBone13 - Just curious...where did you paddle in the Delaware Forest? I live outside Oneonta and would be interested in exploring the area. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone13 View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance!
It is NOT legal to catch and release fish for any species in New York during its closed season, and the general trout season closes October 15, so don't catch too many trout in a row or you could be targeting them. This season closure is also specifically listed for the Whitney trout lakes, in the Hamilton County regulations.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Catch and Release for trout only until October 15. I couldn't find the language, although I believe fishing for all species would be closed after that date for waters containing trout species.
You can fish in Trout waters that contain other gamefish after the trout season closes. You can not ice fish in said waters for anything unless they are specifically listed as open for ice fishing. Since brook trout ponds are often monocultures, they effectively close with the trout season as any fishing would be targeted at Brook Trout.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
bassanglers912

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/...milton-county/
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/...anklin-county/
The way I read it, unless your water is listed, statewide rules apply. Season for trout closes Oct15
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassanglers912 View Post
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/...milton-county/
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/...anklin-county/
The way I read it, unless your water is listed, statewide rules apply. Season for trout closes Oct15
???

The waters the OP asked about are listed for Hamilton County, because they also have other regulations, but they are also listed as closing October 15. I don't know what Franklin County has to do with this discussion.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
bassanglers912

Sorry, I was thinking Tupper was Franklin. Good info anyway?
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote