Ice conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice conditions

Hi all, I dont hike too often in the ADK. I'm going this weekend and see a slight dip in the weather..... are microspikes needed this weekend or does the temp need to be lower for longer? Thanks everyone.

Sorry that I'm unable to answer your question but for what microspikes weigh, and the small amount of room they'll take up in your pack, I'd suggest you just bring them. That way you have them if the conditions you encounter require them.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

With predicted temperatures of about 32 Friday and Saturday night expect anything.

Comment

The temps at higher elevations will be well below freezing overnight this weekend. Newcomb's forecast is showing a predicted low of 25 degrees F Friday night- temperatures at or near the summits of the High Peaks could easily be around 10-15 degrees after you factor in the difference in elevation. So some ice is likely to form overnight, yes.

With that being said, day time highs will likely be above freezing on all but perhaps the tallest peaks- so it's also not super likely that the ice will stick around all day.

But, like Snapper says- for what they weigh, there's a solid argument for saying that it is better to carry microspikes and not need them than it is to not carry them and need them. Especially this time of year, and if there's any chance of ice at all.

Comment

Thanks all for the responses, we are doing Wright, Algonquin, and Iroquois so I'll be bringing the spikes for sure. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey Cpoit, how'd it go? I'm planning on doing the same hike this weekend and I have my eye on the forecast. How was your weather?

Comment

We were up on Haystack Sun 10/13. Left spikes in car. At the very top there was a very small amount of ice on puddles in the shade. Nothing on rock face.

With that said the mountain forecast for this week for Algonquin seems to have below freezing weather and some precipitation all week long.

So I would plan on spikes.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Originally posted by tenderfoot View Post
                We were up on Haystack Sun 10/13. Left spikes in car. At the very top there was a very small amount of ice on puddles in the shade. Nothing on rock face.

With that said the mountain forecast for this week for Algonquin seems to have below freezing weather and some precipitation all week long.

So I would plan on spikes.
                Thanks. I don’t own any and have been reluctant to buy some but it seems it would be the smart thing to do

Comment

Working...
                X