Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #61
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Montcalm, you misread my comment.

I'm not saying the trails have to be perfectly maintained.

I'm saying that if we have CHOSEN to not maintain the trails in an area, then we have to advertise that. And if people have to search for the information, then we have NOT "advertised" it, and we are NOT competent managers.

Remember, the Adirondacks are supposed to be a tourism jewel that attracts people from out of state to spend their $ here. They should not have to search through a bunch of BS disorganized websites to avoid being surprised by an unmaintained trail.
Why I think you should all be lining up to pay a user fee, instead of bellyaching about all the amenities you are supposed to be getting for free, or for the few coins you spent in Wanakena or at a Stewart's.

BTW, there is a good trail into Sand Lakes from the other side of the 5 ponds, wldrness detailed it a while ago in another post.

I watched 3 of the videos , but at that point, I quit. "Total misery."

Last edited by Lucky13; 10-16-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #62
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I have to disagree. Apart from Andy's TV commercials, where is that officially stated? I don't believe that is what the Adirondacks is supposed to be, or why the "park" was crested in the first place. Some overly trampled and commercialized parts have unfortunately turned into that, but thankfully I don't think that is a fair characterization of what the whole of the Adirondacks is supposed to be, or in fact is.
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #63
webby459

I couldn't watch but 15 seconds of those videos. We had a saying in the race car hobby, OSB. (Other sports beckon)
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #64
Glen
Check please

Since beavers were here since the ice receded it would be interesting to know if the original wolf population contributed to a check on the population. No way of knowing for sure of course but I found this interesting:

http://www.boundarywatersblog.com/wolves-eat-beaver/

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0165537
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #65
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There are a few videos on YouTube also, including a few by Forest Dweller himself, who definitely seems genuinely very unhappy in this 5 part rant... (language warning):

Trail Flooded by Beavers, Five Ponds Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5
And this recent one was WAY worse, and my companion was having no part of it.

Not only that, it was MUCH further away from Wanakena, so if you hike that far and can't get around it it's especially annoying.

The one in these videos are pretty close to Wanakena, maybe two miles, so turning back wouldn't be as disappointing as going seven miles and then having to turn back.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #66
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post

Not only that, it was MUCH further away from Wanakena, so if you hike that far and can't get around it it's especially annoying.

The one in these videos are pretty close to Wanakena, maybe two miles, so turning back wouldn't be as disappointing as going seven miles and then having to turn back.
There are so many things wrong with these statements I can't help but say something.

Are there beaver ponds existent to the extent that humans cannot circumnavigate them?

If such a pond is encountered 7 miles from the vehicle and one does not reach their desired destination, does that imply they must "turn back"? In other words, is one so rigid-minded as to not be able to adapt to the situation and make a camp elsewhere?

If you answer yes to either or both of these questions, then you might want to find a new way to spend your free time.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #67
Wldrns

Quote:

If you enjoy hiking the Adirondacks, which seems questionable, maybe you should find a more willing and and adventurous companion (or go with no one at all).

So if I encounter a flooded trail or other obstacles while hiking deep in the woods, I should just throw up my hands, say it is too difficult, and turn tail to run for home, right?

Where's the real disappointment here? With the attitude expressed toward lack of even trying to expend some extra effort when the going gets a little tough, I would not be your companion either.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-17-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #68
bmike-vt

‘You hike with the trail you have, not the trail you might want or wish to have at a later time.’

Donald ‘French Louie’ Rumsfeld (probably, if he hiked in the ADKs)

Or:

‘Walk more, YouTube less’

Aaron Burr(dock) from ‘Hikington, the Musical’
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #69
TCD

Maybe all of us are tougher, or more experienced, or more "in tune with the challenges of the Adirondacks" than the OP....but this thread is becoming unseemly. I get the impression of people "piling on." OP has a valid point that unmaintained, impassable trails make trip planning difficult. Yes, there should be a lesson learned - expect unmaintained trails, and don't be disappointed if a trip doesn't go as planned. But I can certainly understand the feeling of disappointment, and I don't think we should be bashing someone for expressing that.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 AM   #70
Justin
Moving along

Quote:

Gotcha, thanks Tim. No hard feelings bro. Cheers to many more Adirondack backpacking adventures with dry socks and fewer cuts & bruises.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #71
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Maybe all of us are tougher, or more experienced, or more "in tune with the challenges of the Adirondacks" than the OP....but this thread is becoming unseemly. I get the impression of people "piling on." OP has a valid point that unmaintained, impassable trails make trip planning difficult. Yes, there should be a lesson learned - expect unmaintained trails, and don't be disappointed if a trip doesn't go as planned. But I can certainly understand the feeling of disappointment, and I don't think we should be bashing someone for expressing that.
What does it accomplish? And what did those videos accomplish? I didn't watch much but it seemed embarrassing. I feel bad for the beavers that had to hear that.

If you have an issue with how things are managed, perhaps send these comments (and videos) to the DEC and see what kind of response you get.

There are plenty of experiences one can have in the Adirondacks that will not include these types of challenges. Perhaps this is the kind of experience the OP should seek out. Either that or change the attitude and get the skills/equipment necessary to negotiate the real world.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #72
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
...but this thread is becoming unseemly. I get the impression of people "piling on."
I've been reading this rather unpleasant thread and while it makes me uncomfortable and I see no value in it I don't see any reason to lock it (not that you suggested that).

I'm sure the OP is aware that he can delete it.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #73
TCD

Thanks, Neil.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote