Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #21
13331Girl

I am sooo happy you went to Stoney Pond! It's an awesome place. I get some of my best pictures there... I think we ( streamfisher- my husband Mark) are going to ski there next weekend. What side of the road were you on? I like the side with the ponds. I'm scared of the other side (Ha! Ha!) . I don't mind going up hill- it's downhill that scares me ( I'm strange, I know! Ha! Ha!).

I was in Inlet skiing. We had four great days of X-country skiing. Believe it or not- the Inlet Golf Course was awesome. No bare spots and the skiing was fast. Plus, it's very dog friendly.
We skiied around Sagamore Lake in Raquette Lake on Sunday. That was so pretty.

We did Flatrock Mountain on Saturday. It's a great trail system and we saw only three snowmobliers ( we were on snowmoblie trail 6 though)...
It was really fast skiing. We did hit a few bare spots. But, that's the story all over the Old Forge/Inlet area. I would defintly recommened Flatrock mountain to anyone in the area looking for a a fun ski. We had a great time.
We're going to take FlatRock up on his offer for a guided ski next time. There is a lot of land up there.

You can see our pictures on my web group.
http://groups.msn.com/JulesBBGroup/w...06.msnw?Page=8
Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #22
13331Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy
We actually met yesterday, unbeknownst to either of us at the time! My brother in law and I were the two guys that were hiking past you towards the beginning of your adventure.

Ordin
I'm advocating ADK forum jacket patches or hats so we can identify each other. I wondered if we ran into FlatRock while we were on his mountain.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #23
Boreal Chickadee

Jules,

Paul, my son, and I started at the north parking area on Jones road. I didn't know it was plowed all the way through the forest area. We went in on the east side (pond side) skied down to trail 1 loop where I did my cartwheel and then proceeded down to the pond, up through the campground and around the lake picking trail 1 and 17 back up to return to the car. There was about 4 inches of fresh snow Sunday.

We usually go up to the Inlet area for our traditional New Year's day ski/snowhsoe but we were both up very late (me waiting for him to get home) and since snow conditions weren't great I decided a more local ski would be better.

I'm hoping for better snow next weekend. I hear Flatrock calling, "come ski, come ski". And then there's the Otter Lake truck trail, "no, ski me!" Or is that BREIA, "ski me!". So many trails, so little time! And of course we have to always go around cascade Lake, Bubb and Sis, and Moss Lakes.

I've never thought about skiing around Sagamore. I've walked it, but never skied it.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #24
trouthunter

Glad you enjoyed Stoney Pond! The trails on the other side of the road are nice also,mainly one big hill with several trails on it.The downhill runs to the ponds from the parking areas are always fun.I call this forest my little adirondacks as it is similar in terrain but only about 30 minutes away. This is also a excellent place to mountain bike.
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #25
13331Girl

Hi! First I must clarify- I noted that my husband Mark's screen name is "streamfisher63". I was wrong. That is his AIM screen name. I forgot he was "TroutHunter" here...

PB.. I would hold off on skiing in the Old Forge/Inlet area. The trails are starting to get bare. It's a long ride for the current conditions. If we get the 3 inches of snow the news is saying we might get- then I would go.
Check out Sagamore! We had a blast. There was pretty good snow too.
Plus, you could make a side trip to Lake Moghegan or Lake Kora...
Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #26
Boreal Chickadee

Thanks Jules,

Skiing Sagamore just might add to a perfect weekend.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote