Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #21
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I would if it wasn't for my wife.
Groan!!!!
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #22
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Said the guys like you and many others to determine their locations or report medical emergencies.
There was a time past, when outdoors men would be mortified to call for outside assistance.
And if it wasn't for those damned antibiotics and blood pressure medications, we could all just drop dead in our 30s and 40s, or younger and not have to worry about our 401Ks!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #23
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
There was a time past, when outdoors men would be mortified to call for outside assistance.
Don't get me wrong, I'd still be mortified. But I guess I'd rather be mortified than dead.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #24
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Groan!!!!
Groan? Are you married? Sorry, I'd rather her have peace of mind instead of calling out the search party because I'm a day late.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #25
geogymn

Quote:
Groan? Are you married? Sorry, I'd rather her have peace of mind instead of calling out the search party because I'm a day late.
Of course you are right given your point of view. Reassurance is vital and compelling for a loved one. And their reassurance will help you achieve peace of mind. Beside technology is here and isn't going away.

But on the other hand..... Some go into the woods not only for the beauty and awe but also the terror. The terror of making a fateful mistake, where there is nothing to fall back on but one's own awareness. One is truly free when he has only himself to depend on.

I know all that is romantic BS to most. I have no problem and in fact encourage people to use any device that aids in there enjoyment in our woods (no motors) .
Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #26
geogymn

Quote:
PS.

I learned a long time ago that when revealing my outing plans to my wife I would always add an extra day to my itinerary.
There is so much more flexibility and so much less anxiety that way.
When you do come out that day early you can explain that you did so because you missed her. Everybody wins!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #27
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
PS.

I learned a long time ago that when revealing my outing plans to my wife I would always add an extra day to my itinerary.
There is so much more flexibility and so much less anxiety that way.
When you do come out that day early you can explain that you did so because you missed her. Everybody wins!
Ha! THAT is a good idea. I'm doing that next time. She'd never buy the "missed you" line though.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #28
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Some go into the woods not only for the beauty and awe but also the terror. The terror of making a fateful mistake, where there is nothing to fall back on but one's own awareness. One is truly free when he has only himself to depend on.

I know all that is romantic BS to most. I have no problem and in fact encourage people to use any device that aids in there enjoyment in our woods (no motors) .
It's not romantic BS. I've been hiking and camping in the Adirondacks and Catskills for close to 35 years now, and so I know about the freedom and self-reliance of which you speak. I did quite a bit of bushwhacking in my college days, either by myself or with a buddy and there were no such thing as cellphones or PLBs. Then I got married and about a decade ago, I realized that somewhere along the line, I was getting older every year. Being of "a certain age" my dad and my mother-in-law aren't in the best of health, which is another reason I was interested in the InReach. I know it's a crutch, but it gets me out there a bit more easily without worrying about the "what ifs" that may be happening back at home.

I guess you could say the same thing about off trail skiers and avalanche beacons. Is it a tool, or a license to do something stupid and above your skill level? Technology is a double-edged sword. (I hated the first time I forgot I had my cell phone with me and someone was able to send me a text in the middle of nowhere because I got a spot of signal for a second. Now I just leave it in the car.)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
geogymn

Quote:
Ha! THAT is a good idea. I'm doing that next time. She'd never buy the "missed you" line though.
She doesn't have to buy it, it still counts.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #30
crkmeup

I chose to purchase a PBL instead of either other option. The device is about $250 plus $100 every 5 years to replace the battery. It does not allow messages and does not passively provide your location data. It floats and is based on what ships at sea use for their rescue. It requires you to be able to press the button so in some cases it won't help when I am alone. https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca....yOotDTnj.dpbs

It avoids monthly fees so after device acquisition it costs $20 a year to own.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #31
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkmeup View Post
I chose to purchase a PBL instead of either other option. The device is about $250 plus $100 every 5 years to replace the battery. It does not allow messages and does not passively provide your location data. It floats and is based on what ships at sea use for their rescue. It requires you to be able to press the button so in some cases it won't help when I am alone. https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca....yOotDTnj.dpbs
And they have a buttload more transmit power, and usually a radio beacon in addition to the satellite signal. If your main goal is rescue those are the ones to get.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #32
gebbyfish

Quote:
And they have a buttload more transmit power, and usually a radio beacon in addition to the satellite signal. If your main goal is rescue those are the ones to get.
I've never had a problem getting a satellite signal in the Adirondacks with the Delorme/Garmin inReach, though sometimes it takes a bit longer to get it to send on a message.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #33
Trail Boss

Quote:
"Transmit power" is not as relevant as you may believe.

SPOT works with Globalstar whose satellites are stationed in low earth orbit (~1200 miles; same as InReach with the Iridium network). COSPAS-SARSAT satellites operate at higher orbits (including geostationary which is ~22K miles above the equator). Each system transmits with a strength sufficient to ensure proper operation (with its satellite receiver network).

For comparison, GPS satellites are in orbits about 12500 miles above the earth.

A PLB's radio beacon is kind of superfluous because it transmit its GPS coordinates along with the alert. In addition, from what I've read, most land-based search parties don't have a handheld receiver capable of homing in on the radio beacon. The GPS coordinates are usually sufficient.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #34
Justin

Quote:
My girlfriend wants me to have one.
I told her to buy one.
That was the end of that conversation.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #35
Wldrns

I just returned home from the 440 mile Yukon River Quest canoe race. All paddlers are required to carry, and to have previously demonstrated successful use of a SPOT in track mode before being allowed to enter the race. That makes it easy for race officials to keep tabs on all racers and to maintain a near-real-time running race status published online at 10 minute intervals. Plus anyone at home, friends and family, could follow us online. Since I drove from NY to Whitehorse with a borrowed canoe on the car this time, I kept the Spot on in the car so anyone with our Spot address could track our progress across the continent.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-17-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #36
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
"Transmit power" is not as relevant as you may believe.

SPOT works with Globalstar whose satellites are stationed in low earth orbit (~1200 miles; same as InReach with the Iridium network). COSPAS-SARSAT satellites operate at higher orbits (including geostationary which is ~22K miles above the equator). Each system transmits with a strength sufficient to ensure proper operation (with its satellite receiver network).

For comparison, GPS satellites are in orbits about 12500 miles above the earth.

A PLB's radio beacon is kind of superfluous because it transmit its GPS coordinates along with the alert. In addition, from what I've read, most land-based search parties don't have a handheld receiver capable of homing in on the radio beacon. The GPS coordinates are usually sufficient.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I always assumed the the more powerful transmission was a benefit when in heavy cover or a canyon, but if the satellites are further away... Apples and oranges but it makes for good marketing, I guess.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #37
crkmeup

Quote:
I think all of them work and the ability for the others to stay connected is well documented. My justification is what functions were important to me and what the yearly costs would be.

HYOH. I just wanted to share a lower cost option that was less feature rich.