Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: do you carry a firearm when in the wilds?
yes, I always carry a firearm 53 23.66%
no, I never carry a firearm 97 43.30%
sometimes I carry a firearm 47 20.98%
I have thought about carrying a firearm 27 12.05%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
ADKpete

do you carry a firearm when hiking

Out of curiosity to the many hikers/backpackers and in general outdoorspeople of the forum, do you carry firearms when in the wilds on an adventure ( not just when hunting/fishing)? I have not seen this question posed before and I thought it would be interesting to discuss.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I never carry a firearm while hiking/backpacking.
I sometimes carry a long arm while canoe camping.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
ADKpete

I always carry my pistol when I am out and about. You never know when it might come in handy i.e.- a charging chupacabra could be right around the corner. But seriously it can be useful for signaling, survival. I understand fully the latter piece to your post BW.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It'd be interesting to see how the results of this poll compare to the results of a similar poll on ADKHighPeaks or Views From The Top. I bet a lot fewer of the posters on those forums carry guns with them in the woods...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
ADKpete

you're probably right, different mindset I think with mountain climbers , not that that is a bad thing. Just different. Either way to each their own.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
you're probably right, different mindset I think with mountain climbers , not that that is a bad thing. Just different. Either way to each their own.
Mountain Climbers???

On this forum?

Who?

Where are the mountains to climb in NY?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Mountain Climbers???

On this forum?

Who?

My bad , highpeaks climbers
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Mountain Climbers???

On this forum?

Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
My bad , highpeaks climbers
I don't really see that much of a difference between hikers in the high peaks and elsewhere. There isn't any technical climbing.

Only difference if you average it ll out might be that more peak baggers do less distance then other hikers and are more inclined towards trips of shorter duration as well. Less multi day hikes.

I would classify myself as a thru-hiker, most of my trips being a week or more as a rule. I've also done some ultra long hikes into some remote areas abundant with "predators", bears, cougars, wolves and have never found the need to carry a firearm. I feel safer in the woods then i do walking the street.

When in "bear country" I do carry bear spray which is the recommended protection to carry by wildlife experts and park people.

There is quite a mix of people on this forum and the peak baggers also do other types of hiking and paddling. Many of them are bushwhackers and my guess would be that when you get away from the trails you are more apt to run into bears and other wildlife.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Yes i carry when I hike , I do alot of bushwacking an as a rule I'm alone, I have had a couple of casees I had to use it back in there, One day I got out an was sitting in the summer trailhead an the rangar came over to my truck an saw my pistol laying on the seat(Iwas changing )He saw it an asked if I carry it I told him yes he said good because he knew where I hike an if I ran into trouble I can use it to signal with,
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
ADKeagle

Yup, always carry. I worry more about 2-legged problems in the backcountry than 4. Having said that, I think the main reason I do carry is the ability to signal and/or kill a meal if something went drastically wrong.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
geogymn

Never felt the need to carry and now that I am old, fat and lazy I don't care for the extra weight. Too funny BW about the wife and shopping!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Limekiln

I usually carry a Glock 10mm. model 20, although sometimes when it's hot out I don't bother.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
SummitHat
That was fun

Never carried a firearm, nor was in a situation where a firearm would have been useful, in several decades of multi-week backpacking, multi-week canoe-camping, hiking hundreds of peaks, nor cycling across the continent.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
ADKpete

I don't carry with the idea of needing to kill something like a bear or anything for that matter when hiking but nobody can see the future and there may be a day when a firearm would come in handy and if not it's only another 3 lbs. to carry around.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
darnedsox

I have a good friend who felt it was important to buy a pistola and get all the permits he could after the last Presidential election. We haven't camped together since. He and I are still good buds-we just don't want to get shot up squatting in the bush. Security is a relative term. I miss the lively debate over campfire. Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
ADKpete

Practicing safety and a little common sense takes away the worry about being "shot while squatting", and yes security is relevant. As far as worrying about one presedential election changing the course of the country and the constitution to that extreme I personally don't worry to much about that.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

This has been very good up until now, but is starting to tip-toe the line of becoming a political discussion. Please keep to the original topic...thanks.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #18

Most of my "hikes" are during hunting season , mostly big game season in the fall. Last fall I put in at least 50 miles of enjoyable "hikes" in the woods carrying a rifle. Early spring and late summer also find me "hiking " with my dog , being squirrel season and a .22 is all I can carry when hiking with my dog , I bring one along. Never a thought of it as a defensive or offensive thing , just a tool that I enjoy carrying . Sure , lots of scary scenarios could happen , but never has my dog been attacked by coyotes , bears just run , and so far the two legged critters don't often visit the small boring area I enjoy "hiking" in.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Old 01-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
ADKpete

For me it has always been just a traditional thing that I have always done. I remember when I was young my grandfather would take me fishing on black creek and other little "holes" he knew of and the first thing that went on at the spot was his pistol. Just seemed natural, and for those that understand what I am saying there is a certain feeling one gets when in the wilds tramping around with "the big iron" on your hip. I personally usually carry a 5 in. model 1911 in .45 cal.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
trickyasafox

I carry where legal- in the woods or not. Though I have camped and day hiked in bear area (no thru-hiking yet) I have never carried with the express fear of bear, snake, or any type of feral predator in mind.

When on private land, I really enjoy impromptu plinking / targets of opportunity (be it old stumps or legal game animals for the pot). In more public areas, I conceal carry for personal protection. I admit it is an unlikely scenario, but it is just a part of my life.

While in the woods I generally carry a 38 or 357 revolver or a 22 caliber handgun if I have a mind to shoot casually. I prefer the revolvers for woods shooting to save brass for reloading / cut down on waste in the woods. I too am a big fan of the 'ol slabsides' 1911 style of firearm- and generally carry an Officer's sized 1911 while out and about during my daily activities.
Closed Thread