Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
JW

Question Tick Tubes

Do they work? Is it possible to eradicate ticks from a small woodlot - say 1/2 acre? Is there a better product out there?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
dundee

I don't know this product, but eradicate might be asking too much. From what I know, ticks lay zillions of eggs. You may be able to reduce the number, but I would think they'd come right back the next year, an endless battle. If it were my property, and I'm assuming this is a working property as you use the term woodlot, I would eliminate as much underbrush as possible as ticks like to hang on this stuff and wait for a mammal to pass by.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
rickhart

I've used them some years and they do seem to reduce the number of ticks, but not eliminate them all. To put enough out is pretty expensive if you buy them, but there are various directions online for making your own.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
TCD

https://www.domyown.com/permethrin-s...wE&sub_id=1106
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
JW

Thank You! That is great info. I wouldn't expect to eradicate them - one can only hope to.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
richard1726

I tossed out all over my yard, very wooded, about 40 to 50 tubes, toilet paper tubes, with cotton and the correct tick killer insecticide 10 years ago. I also have an aggressive mouse trapping program in place, basement, attic and garage. We used to collect the tiny Lyme ticks off our dog and sometimes kids, mount them on 3x5 cards and give them to the nations expert, at the time, on Lyme Disease. He would use them at Dr. conventions. We probably collected 50 over 3 years in the mid 1980s.
We have not seen a Lyme tick since putting the tubes out in 1992. Deer continue to visit our yard. We live in EAST LYME CT!
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
JW

Thanks Richard - Did you use permethrin?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
JW

great treatment - I will be using in a hardwood area - need to be very careful using around pollinating plants because it's very harmful to bee's.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #9
TCD

If you're going to be spending time there, either working or playing in the woods, I would do your best to eradicate the ticks. Tick tubes are nice, but if it's only a half acre, if it were my lot, I would pick up a mixing bucket and a sprayer, and just saturate the whole lot with Permethrin. Wait two weeks and repeat. Just don't let your cat play there for a wile, if you have an outdoor cat...Permethrin is poisonous to cats.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
richard1726

Yes I used permethrin. I see plenty of honey bees, too many ground hornets and lots of lightening bugs.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #11
Terasec

I would not use permethrin in such a manner
some states require a license to apply Permethrin as such
lower grade permethrin for clothing has its own handling requirements
if you hunt I would not harvest any animals in an area treated with permethrin
if you have kids I wouldn't want permethrin any where near the kids
US military has guidelines for permethrin treated clothes including not recommending pregnant and women who intend on getting pregnant to wear treat clothing
used correctly on clothing it can be relatively safe, but spraying a wooded area with it is asking for trouble

looking at tick tubes online, product targets mice to spread the permethrin
don't know how effective it would be thrown about randomly in a wooded area
if it was cheaper, would say go ahead and try it,
but for the price? your call

factors in tick growth are availability of hosts to feed on, ground cover to get on hosts,
winter weather which determines survival rate of larvae over winter
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Beaver Chaw
Don't forget to Spit

Get some chickens! they love ticks
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
TCD

I think the concern about toxicity is overblown (as is often the case).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

"Permethrin has little systemic absorption, and is considered safe for topical use in adults and children over the age of 2 months. The FDA has assigned it as pregnancy category B. Animal studies have shown no effects on fertility or teratogenicity, but studies in humans have not been performed. The excretion of permethrin in breastmilk is unknown, and breastfeeding is recommended to be temporarily discontinued during treatment.[12]

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, permethrin "has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin, and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon.""

On the flip side, Lyme Disease is frequently misdiagnosed and untreated, and can result in long term and incurable neurological and musculoskeletal problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

That's an easy call for me. I don't live in a tick prone area, but if I did, I'd be spraying the Permethrin.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I think the concern about toxicity is overblown (as is often the case).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, permethrin "has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin, and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon.""
That's why the label says something to the effect of "not for use on exposed skin" on some of the clothing treatments available. Not because it's toxic, but because it doesn't work if applied like that.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #15
JerseyHighlander

https://greenmethods.com/product/ste...50250-million/
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
TCD

Doesn't appear to mention ticks...
Old 07-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Doesn't appear to mention ticks...
I know it does somewhere on that site but;
https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1998/mar/tick

I've used them for several years now on my 1.5 acres of woods. Used to be that the dog hardly ever came in without a tick or three on him. Nowdays, it's much more rare, often weeks between.

I also encourage the wild turkey's to hang out and feed as much as possible but that is more rare now since the new pup found out they are so much fun to chase.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #18
Viking

Back home in Northern Michigan, where practical, people would keep some Guinea Fowl.

Sucked 'em down like M&M's.
Viking is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insect repellant, ticks, woodlot