Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear resistant coolers for canoe camping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear resistant coolers for canoe camping...

I thought I wanted an Otter Box cooler over a Yeti cooler but when considering the size of cooler to capacity ratio the Otterbox Venture 25 (I think) takes up a LOT of space for not a lot of capacity. The Yeti 20 has a smaller capacity but it seems to take up considerably less space.

These aren't the only brands either.

Any of you have your favorites, especially taking into consideration the size to capacity ratio? I know these things have thick insulating "walls" but I need to strike a balance - lots of cooling space for taking up the least amount of space.

Thanks

For our first Yukon River 1000 mile canoe race, we were required by the race rules to begin with 20Kg of food per person (x7 people in our voyageur canoe - do the math) in certified bear resistant containers. After much research on what was available at the time (in 2009) I ended up buying a very large Yeti cooler. Nice, and met the requirement, but a bit of an overkill. Since every meal I made for the team was dehydrated, I did not need it to be iced, but it needed to be lockable and certified as bear resistant.

Since that food weight requirement proved to be far in excess of what was actually consumed by 3X (we knew it would be for only 6 race days), the official minimum food weight requirement was dropped for subsequent races. For our next Y1K we ended up taking several of the more standard bear vault type of canisters instead. I do now also have a much smaller Yeti for routine use. Yeti is definitely durable, but pricey, as are other makes of similar build.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Well they are all expensive, but my main concern is that I'm getting as much interior cooling space as possible for the overall size / amount of space it takes up...while being bear resistant. Yeti seems to give you more cooling storage space per overall size than Otterbox does. Does that sound about right? Anyone?!

Comment

Working...
      X