Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
wiiawiwb

GPS - first one - good, better or best?

I've never used GPS before even though I like gadgets. Looking at getting my first unit and trying to decide which is the most advisable way to go.

I can get a Garmin GPSmap 60Csx for $220 and have a good unit that I can learn to use. In the alternative, I can get their latest line, the Montana 600 for ~$475+.

The Montana has a much larger screen and is their latest technology. Would it be worth the extra $255+ to you?
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Alpine1

If the 60csx is the newest model Garmin put out I'd go with it. It's an awesome machine and gets great reception even inside a pack.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have a GPSmap 60Csx and a buudy has a newer Garmin (not sure if it's a Colorado or Montana) with the larger, touch screen.
His touch screen is easier to see...a little, but it is sensitive to ALL touches--in his pocket or in his pack. Battery life seems to be less for his than mine, that larger screen doesn't come for free. Other than that, I see no difference in performance.
For me, same performance and lower cost for the 60Csx = better value.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Seeker

depends what you want to do with it. just my 2 cents, but i still prefer "terrain association" using a paper map and a compass. i carry an older GPS (garmin etrek) just for backup, in case i get completely turned around and don't know where i am. it will then give me the grid coordinate i need. love having that sort of safety net.

some old sage said 'be neither first nor last to try a new idea', so while i sorta laugh at those who are always on the cutting edge of new tech, and i tend to be one of the last (cheaper!), maybe you'd be happy with 'better' instead of best...
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

Get the 60CsX. It's a killer machine!

Then procure the 1:24K mapping for the Adirondacks and you'll be in business.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
yellowcanoe

I have a Dakota..the touchscreen drives me nuts as its hypersensitive..and after a while with muddy hands its all smeary and hard to read

Get the one with the buttons.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Go for the 60 CsX.
last year when I was thinking of getting another unit i read some reviews on the Colorado (Don't think the Montana was out yet) and I wasn't impressed by what some owners had to say.

I ended up purchasing a USED CsX and I am pleased with it's performance.

Old Sioux Proverb: "Sometime the latest and greatest ain't the best."

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
wiiawiwb

Thanks everyone. That's the way I'll go. I can use the difference for another outdoor gear item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Go for the 60 CsX.
Old Sioux Proverb: "Sometime the latest and greatest ain't the best."

Hawk
That definitely came from wise tribal elders.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote