Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for three to four day canoe trip in august or september?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for three to four day canoe trip in august or september?

hello all!

i'm trying to organize a four-day canoe trip in the adirondacks with some buddies in either mid to late august or september and was hoping to tap the board's knowledge for some recommendations for where to go. one friend of mine suggested stringing together a trip through eighth lake and raquette, which sounds like it could be nice, but that's just a thought.

here are the basic stats:

* we're all in decent shape
    * we're heavy into remoteness/serenity/beauty
    * we only have four days, maximum, and we'd like at least one of the days we're out there to be lazy & more or less stationary

do you all have recommendations for routes we could take?

Originally posted by mbrooks View Post
    hello all!

i'm trying to organize a four-day canoe trip in the adirondacks with some buddies in either mid to late august or september and was hoping to tap the board's knowledge for some recommendations for where to go. one friend of mine suggested stringing together a trip through eighth lake and raquette, which sounds like it could be nice, but that's just a thought.

do you all have recommendations for routes we could take?
    You have some time yet... best advice is to select some choices from the Adirondack Paddler's Guide and the accompanying map. You well get far better and more complete descriptions of trips than from anyone responding in the blind on the forum. Go ahead and get it, it will make your trip selection much easier and rewarding.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I'm getting the impression that you expect to do at least some carries. If that's the case, the Floodwood Loop would be a good choice. With four days, you could do a layover day on Long Pond and climb Long Pond Mt, or just be stationary, as you said. It's a great spot to camp.

I once did a 4 day trip around Cranberry Lake where I basically circumnavigated the lake. I camped in a different spot every night- Dead Creek Flow, Joe Indian Island, and East Inlet. No carries, but there are numerous options for hiking and side trips.

You don't mention how many are in your group, but you should know that there is a group size limit of 8 in some (possibly all, I'm not sure) of these areas.

Comment

If you go in August, aim for the week before Labor Day. Just plan to leave the Friday before Labor Day. After Labor Day there are no crowd issues. For a first time trip the St Regis Canoe Area is the way to go. Many many options for 4 days. The "Quiet Water Guide - NY" and "Adirondack Paddling" books are also excellent books. If you need top notch equipment there is an outfitter in the SRCA (St Regis Canoe Outfitters)

Comment

Working...
        X