Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
tmount
Yellowman

Bike to Lake Andrew

As I understand it, the numerous camps on the road going west after the right turn trail to Bradley Pond, are coming down this month. Is it ok to bike back there to Lake Andrew?
tmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
TCD

I would guess if one user group (the camp leasers) no longer can use the convenience of the road, another user group (bikers) probably cannot as well. Check with DEC...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
dpc34

is the Bradley Pond trail open to bikes..didn't think it was...can't get there from there..
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Try calling the DEC office in Ray Brook 518-897-1200.
I called with the same question about Gulf Brook Rd back when it first opened to the public in 16 & the Ranger in charge of that area got back to me the next day.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

No, that road is not open to bikes, even where the marked trail follows it. As far as the public rights are concerned, the trail is in a designated wilderness area. The fact that some private individuals have the right to drive the road doesn't affect or change what the public is allowed to do (FWIW, even though the lease camps must be removed by the end of this month, OSI/The Nature Conservancy have the right to drive that road until September of 2019).

Also, I'm not sure that the roadbed is actually a public right of way beyond where the marked trail turns off for Bradley Pond. Even with the new land purchase, the road itself still forms the boundary between public and private land for some distance, and it's not clear exactly where the boundary is. If the boundary is the north side of the road, then you've got a situation where it's illegal to walk the road beyond the turn off for the marked trail (despite it being legal to walk parallel to the road but in the woods). There's at least one situation on MacIntyre East across the main Upper Works Rd where this is the case- it's illegal to walk in one of the private roads that forms the boundary between private and state land but legal to walk parallel to it, a few feet off to the side.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote