Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
PaPaddler

Question St. Regis Around July 4th?

Hi folks,

Planning a four night trip with my wife in the St. Regis Canoe Area - arriving around noon on Saturday June 30th and departing Wednesday morning July 4th. No fear of portaging but I'm wondering how difficult it might be to get a site on Saint Regis Pond or Little Long Pond (east) being that it's around the holiday?

We are waffling between the options of putting in at the Upper St. Regis lake access (St. Regis Carry Road) and heading in through Bear Pond or putting in at Little Clear Pond and portaging into Saint Regis Pond that way. Is it a "six in one, half dozen in the other" sort of thing? Or would you expect fewer available sites on the eastern end of the canoe area?

It's our first canoe camping trip in the Adirondacks so I don't know what the occupancy would be like; I was hoping to spend one day fishing Upper St. Regis Lake as a day-trip from wherever we camp, but if we were forced to Ochre or Fish Pond to get an empty site that would make for a long day trip to catch a couple Pike and Bass. Any insight or experience would be welcomed!
PaPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
mgc

That week will be busy. You may need to take whatever is available and not be too picky if you want to be on St. Regis Pond. What happens is folks tend to get in early and stake out a site.
If you need to go back to Fish Pond that's not the end of the world. If you shuffle along it's not a big deal to get there from Little Green to Fish, assuming that you don't mind carries. My wife and I have done it and had lot's of time to spare for fishing and setting up camp at Fish once we got there.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
PaPaddler

Thanks, mgc, figured that might be the case but wanted to check in with people who had more experience in the area than we do. We'll see what we get and roll with the punches!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Rich Lockwood

the pond hopping from upper st regis is a lot of fun. Some carrys are so short you can see the end form the takeout. There are also some nice campsites before you get to St regis pond.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
richard p

St Regis

Hi. St Regis Pond was my second Adirondack trip over 20 years ago with my wife and I still remember it very well. Weekends are very busy in the summer throughout the Canoe Area so try and get there early on Saturday. I don't fish so I can say much about fishing in the actual Canoe Area. If you enter via Little Clear grab the first available site on St Regis Pond - it will fill up. The parking lot will be a good indicator of how busy the area is. The pond is spectacular and worth the portage. If it is full you can head east toward Bear Pond. Fish Pond is a real adventure and worth the effort either as a day trip or camping spot. There are also sites available near Little clear that do not require registering anymore but I would assume they would fill up even faster because there are all vehicle accessible. Also, get an updated map since the sites changed several years ago. The old Adirondack Canoe Map has been out of date for years but it is pretty good. You can get current site info on the DEC site. You can also get the current map published by St Regis Canoe outfitters. Hope you and the wife have a great time.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
PaPaddler

Thanks to both Rich and Richard! We're staying the night before near Oneonta - so a 4 hour drive to get up there. Was planning on leaving around 7am but may get up and out by 5:30am to be ahead of the crowds.

Where is this registration that you mention? Wasn't aware of any registration requirements.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Rich Lockwood

the area you are going has al 1st come first served free campsites. I believe only serinac lake has registration/pay sites. have fun.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
PaPaddler

sweet. thanks.