Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
terijohn
primitivecampers

Long Pond

I have heard there are two ways to get on to Long Pond off of Floodwood Road.

We have not tried the one near Eastpine. Is that one easier than the other? Is it cartable? We plan on going 3 days with 4 people. 1 canoe (we will push on a art) and 2 kayaks.
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

There are two ways, one a bit longer if you start by the outfitters, one a bit shorter if you start at the parking lot further down Floodwood Rd.

I wouldn't say either are particularly cartable, but if I was going to pick one, it would be the shorter one from the parking lot. At least it's wide like an old road. It's really rocky though, so you may not have an easy time.

There's a third way to get to Long Pond, and that's through Hoel, Turtle and Slang ponds. You can avoid the first carry over the RR tracks by going through drain tunnel between Hoel and Turtle. But you do have to carry from Slang to Long Pond. As I recall, that carry is pretty short and smooth. It's not a wide a path though like the one on the other side from the parking area.

I generally go in through Hoel because it's nicer and there is usually plenty of parking there.

Good luck.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

The carry from the parking lot beyond East Pine Pond is short and easy. When I first visited there in the 70's (or was it 80's?) you could drive to the top of the last hill, within sight of the water. If you look carefully, you can still see remnants of the parking lot barriers there. Since the carry was an old road, it would be very easy to roll a cart in there, even after all these years, it's still wheelable, IMO. The only rough part is that final descent to the pond.

The other carry, near St Regis Canoe Outfitters, was perpetually flooded about halfway along the trail. Is it still? In any case, it's more than twice as far, and if still flooded, requires loading and launching twice to get to Long Pond.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Keithk
Keith

We had no problem carting it earlier this spring

When we camped there. “It” being the normal parking lot. It was a little tricky on the final downhill to the pond, mostly due to the stones, but it wasn’t that bad.

There was 1 medium sized piece of blowdown we had to lift over.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
NEranger21

If you're using a cart...try the parking area just beyond St. Regis canoe outfitters. It's perfect for a cart. The bog bridge is currently being repaired and the trail is clear (as of 2 weeks ago). This link will bring you to the DEC website, scroll down until you find the info for "Long Pond". coordinates provided... https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/70572.html
Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

I carted the western put-in to Long

This weekend I took a cart up and down the track at the far west of Long, and it wasn't easy, with a lot of rocks, but probably less strenuous than carrying. 55lb tandem canoe with basically car camping gear.

Last edited by Titanium Spork; 07-02-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote