Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Sinite

Newcomb Lake/Moose Pond canoes?

Last time I hauled my boat to Newcomb lake I was surprised to that the boat house had canoes sitting in it. Are they available for public use?
If I hike to Moose Pond instead are there any canoes stashed there?
I do not support stashing canoes, but I will definitely use one if it is there.

Thanks!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
rdl

I saw a 2 minute promotional video a couple days ago of Camp Santanoni and mention was made of the canoes in the boat house available for public use. I don't remember where I saw it and tried to search quickly to locate the video but was unsuccessful.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

I saw them the last time I hiked in, and was a little dismayed at the thought, truthfully.
I seriously don't know how that's not a huge liability.
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Sinite

Apparently it is not a liability because no one officially owns them. This is what I was told by someone who answered my facebook message to the camp. I am somewhat hesitant to say it on a forum (thinking about it right now) but they are available for public use. Apparently they are pretty beat up because -public use. I think I will head up there with a roll of duct tape!
Old 07-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Sinite

I really would like to know if there are any boats stashed at Moose Pond. The Moose Pond near Newcomb Lake.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have visited the campsite area at the end of Moose Pond twice, in 2012 and last year, and never saw a boat of any kind, but there's a lot more shoreline where one could be lurking.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
Sinite

Thanks. Good to know. Glad there isn't a pile of old rotting boats.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I have visited the campsite area at the end of Moose Pond twice, in 2012 and last year, and never saw a boat of any kind, but there's a lot more shoreline where one could be lurking.
Zach
I haven't been there in years. Is it still a really muddy shoreline? last time I was there it was just mud and postholed hoof prints.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
Bob K

I believe that the boats at camp Santanoni are available for day use only. First come etc. Its a beautiful place to paddle. They looked OK to me, though I trailered in my own by bike.

Have been to Moose years ago and never saw any boats. Saw none at Newcomb either while paddling last year.

Last edited by Bob K; 07-20-2018 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Addition
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

You could always bring your own canoe and paddle up the Newcomb River to Newcomb Lake...it's just a hop skip and a jump from lake Harris!! (OK, maybe a bit more than that)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
cityboy

Good to know. I've often wondered about those boats in the boathouse. No locks or chains plus oars are there too. Wish I had known then it was for public use. Since there was no signs saying it was OK I did not dare take one out. Canoes looked in good shape about a month ago.

About 10 years ago I paid the horse wagon guy to portage my canoe in and out. Really nice lake. I always make two or three trips in a summer to visit the great Camp and lake usually on bike. One of my favorite spots for bike, hike and swim. Now I can add canoe too.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Sinite

Newcomb River

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
You could always bring your own canoe and paddle up the Newcomb River to Newcomb Lake...it's just a hop skip and a jump from lake Harris!! (OK, maybe a bit more than that)
Didn't I read a post from you a while ago that detailed this trip? If I remember correctly it was more lining and portaging than paddling on this river between Harris and Newcomb lake?

Last edited by Sinite; 07-21-2018 at 06:03 PM..
Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Sinite

Moose Pond near Newcomb Lake, shoreline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I haven't been there in years. Is it still a really muddy shoreline? last time I was there it was just mud and postholed hoof prints.
So the whole shoreline is mud? I wonder if it is worth the trip? I was planning to bring my boat there some time.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
So the whole shoreline is mud? I wonder if it is worth the trip? I was planning to bring my boat there some time.
To be fair, the last time I was there was in the spring, and it had been raining a lot. I would defer to someone else to tell you what it looks like currently. I was wondering myself.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #15
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I only visited a small amount of the total shoreline, and both times were in August so the water would have been lower. I don't remember what the bottom was like, but I do know I was able to easily wade out into the water far enough to get unobstructed views of the Ermine Brook Slide and the far end of the pond, so I don't think it could have been very muddy at that time and place or I would remember it.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
Didn't I read a post from you a while ago that detailed this trip? If I remember correctly it was more lining and portaging than paddling on this river between Harris and Newcomb lake?
I did post a report about that particular trip, it was maybe half and half paddle/carry.
If there were trails, or even decent herd paths (ala Harrington Brook) it would be an easier trip.
As it was, it has become the standard by which my gang compares all other trips!!