Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Jackson

No wake zones

Spent a few days in Fish Creek Ponds area at a friends camp. Did a bit of kayaking around the area. Either I am going crazy or most motorboat operators refused to observe and heed the "no wake" zones...more than once I was nearly swamped because of these cowboys. Not to mention shoreline erosion (I can imagine)or wildlife disturbance. My friend and his wife told me it is a common occurrence there. Many of the hot dogs just don't care. No wake means "NO WAKE" .... not just slow up a bit. I understand DEC was there last summer but would like to see them again.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
dpc34

come to Lake George....always a thrill....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I was nearly swamped one time by some yahoo in an F150!!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
aft paddle

Egads!
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
Keithk
Keith

This will likely sound way more snarky than I intend it too, but going to Fish Creek and complaining about the powerboats is like going to NYC and complaining about the tourists.

I mean, yes, they absolutely should respect the no wake zone, and people are incredibly inconsiderate towards paddlers (some rugby-weekend moron nearly swamped my nephew and I today between flower and Oseetah)... but there are easily a hundred other places to paddle nearby where you wouldn’t have to deal with it. Heck just paddle through to follensby clear, problem solved.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Jackson

No wake zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
This will likely sound way more snarky than I intend it too, but going to Fish Creek and complaining about the powerboats is like going to NYC and complaining about the tourists.

I mean, yes, they absolutely should respect the no wake zone, and people are incredibly inconsiderate towards paddlers (some rugby-weekend moron nearly swamped my nephew and I today between flower and Oseetah)... but there are easily a hundred other places to paddle nearby where you wouldn’t have to deal with it. Heck just paddle through to follensby clear, problem solved.
And that is exactly what I did !
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Rich Lockwood

motors

I spoke to a motorboater on foloumsby clear who was going aufull fast considering the HP limit. he said He replaced his motor decals to meet the limit!
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Lucky13

Power boaters who neither know or obey navigation rules. Who'd have thought?

Get the little numbers off the side of the boat, and make a call to the local police.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
jblaser

I am not familiar with the location where you are; was the F 150 on a road or driving through a pond/stream?
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I was nearly swamped one time by some yahoo in an F150!!

Ah yes...Alder Pond pre-Irene.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote