Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopRope-Friendly Climbs

Hello people.

I am new to climbing and a friend of mine and myself are looking for beginner climbs in the Adirondacks for this coming spring.

I have some equipment as listed below:

Helmet
    Dynamic rope, 60m
    Two belay devices
    10 Carabine
    Harness
    Daisy Chain
    Climbing shoes
    Prusiks
    Webbing

Lastly, I am going to pick-up a chalk bag and chalk.
    Last edited by Edb 46 er; 11-26-2017, 05:44 PM.
    Two Beavers

There are several good beginner top rope areas. As I always recommend for hikers, I highly recommend purchasing and reading the current paper rock climbing guidebook AdirondackRock. It has a wealth of information that is critical to know for climbing around here. And, it has an index of areas that are particularly suited to top roping.

After spending an evening with the paper guidebook, peruse the various pages on the AdirondackRock website, which can help you with up-to-date information. (For example, the trail to the once popular top roping area at Owls Head Mountain is currently closed.)

I know I am a broken record on this topic on the hiking forums, and I'm regarded as "obsolete" or a Luddite by all the cool kids who have all the world's knowledge on their smart phones. But I stand by this recommendation.

Comment

It would make a nice X mas gift. Thanks, TCD.
      Two Beavers

Comment

Don Mellor's Trail side Guide to Rock Climbing would be a great companion gift, to go with Adirondack Rock. Depending on your experience level, it could be a good source of knowledge, or serve to reinforce some of what you have already learned. It is pretty comprehensive, and would be a great starting place. It hammers home the importance of redundancy in your anchors, and safe belay techniques, two things you don't want to be second guessing, as well as a ton of other important information.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a guide take you guys out for a day, show you some good spots, and walk you through some of the practices, techniques, and tools of the trade. Climbing is a lot of fun, and even more so when you know you are taking the right precautions.

Tear it up!

Comment

IMHO, Don's books are a must...

Comment

I have Don's book that I dug out of my archives from when I was gathering research on climbing.

Also, I contacted my local Library and took out Adirondack Rock 1/ 2 copies by Jim Lawyer/Jeremy Haas. A whole lot of information to get started.
            Two Beavers

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas! Would check them out as well.

Comment

Working...
              X