Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Brookies From Hades

Every once in a while you hear something. A rumor, a whisper of something good if you're willing to really willing to work for it. At the end of your journey there will be brookies as long as your arm. Big, corpulent, dumb brookies just waiting for your fly. The stuff that keeps you up nights, keeps you addicted.

Glen started it. He suggested we go back in there, even though it's a death march. "The brookies were 16" last time and that was 3 years ago. Just think how big they must be now!"

We're three years older and the packs feel heavier. We started off through head-high Witchhopple. It was easy going until we hit the deadfalls, boulder jumbles and red spruce thickets. A short hike, an easy hike if there was a trail, took us most of the day. I found myself wishing the V's overhead really were flying monkeys and that a couple of them might take pity and spirit us to our destination. NSL.

Our campsite was as we'd left it last time, unused. Sublime. Once camp was set up we had the evening to fish.

The first one stripped my fly off the leader on the grab. We did manage to land a few nice ones.

The next day Glen shouted 'Big fish!" He never does that. I turned to see his rod tip dive underwater. Then everything went slack. He fired off every four letter word in his arsenal, a couple of which weren't in my vocabulary until then. "I might lie outrageously but I never exaggerate. That was a five pound brookie" were his sanitized sentiments.

The fishing alternated hot and cold, the warm weather not helping. Work intruded, this time tapping Glen on the shoulder instead of me. We slogged out, taking much of the day.

Glen headed for home the next morning and UpstateDave and I hit a favorite pond. It was downright hot out and the fishing was slow. Dave left, I camped and stayed.

The next morning I was up early and headed straight for a bit of shoreline that showed promise the day before. It was red hot until 11:00AM. 19 brookies landed, 9 of them good ones, one of my best days ever. And that was under bright skies in Tee shirt weather. Go figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1.jpg (67.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg G2.jpg (127.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg G3.jpg (121.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg G4.jpg (101.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg G5.jpg (90.9 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg G6.jpg (86.6 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg G7.jpg (94.9 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg G8.jpg (107.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Ghost Brookie.jpg (146.3 KB, 292 views)
Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Crokit
crokit

Great fish Mister!
Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

BEAUTIFUL nice catch
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
serotonin
ember

Vt...

I was very worried here for a few days,
but your story just explained everything.

Now I Know where my flying monkeys flew to...

Thank you.
And don't be afraid to feed them.
They tend to behave gently with gentle souls.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
serotonin
ember

They have provided me with wonderful aerial footage
of you catching and loosing fish.

But getting the Go-Pros off their necks
has left me typing with two fingers
and a face that looks like its been stung by a swarm of bees.

Now... i'm just hangin' on to Mary's stump
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Brookie hunter

Sounds like it was worth the effort to me. Nice ones
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Gman

Great report!
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Glen
Check please

Naturally the good fish pics are all on my camera and I can't locate the usb connecting cable. Ordered one from ebay so will post in a few days. As Vtflyfish stated, the hike was hell. Averaged a quarter mile an hour, broke a Leki trekking pole, went down about six times, shins are skinned,etc. The best shower I ever had was in town that night. It took 20 minutes just to get all the spruce needles off me.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
geogymn

Sounds like an adventure not soon to be forgotten. Happy for you guys, nice fish!
Old 10-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
mar71

Amazing as usual, you guys keep me going with the incredible pics. Nice Job VT and Glen..
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Rusty and the Maniac

Ahhh, great story! Makes gettin skunked the other day that much worse...
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Nice! Thanks for the report.

Those are really some nice looking brookies.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
Zachnaturephotographer

Awesome report and pics to match. Thanks
Zachnaturephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
St.Regis

Not much prettier than a fall brook trout. Hard work yielded great results! Congrats.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
RichieC

They say brook trout are back in the Adirondacks!... The decimation of manufacturing and greener technology in the midwest is beginning to reap rewards on those of us who slogged through the worst of times. These make me happy to see.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
St.Regis

I'm not glad for the decimation of manufacturing in the USA.

Glad folks are catching nice brookies though.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
chaser
pond jockey

As always, very impressive VT
Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #18
x_600_x

OK thats it. Leaving in the morning, just me, my 12' Radison and the next two days of my life in a dry sack. Ill be trolling for browns up in Franklin Co with Wabblers - But these fall brookie pics have me thinking of throwing the Radison over my shoulder for a walk into my favorite Brookie pond while I am up there!
x_600_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
wildbrookies

Like always! You guys have not only the know how, but the determination and perseverance in which it takes to get into some of those tough places. But, it paid off with some really pretty char!! Nice guys!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
Glen
Check please

Maybe Vtflyfish will now tell you how he managed to get lost even with the use of a moving map GPS. Sensing disaster, I grabbed a compass and put us back on track. We would now be somewhere in New Hampshire based on his last course.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote