Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Rock/Ice Climbing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #21
accoustic
Administrator

I just picked up Wilderness Mountaineering at my library. It's the only one they had.

Ok so I'm gonna read the more I can before the third of January, and my friend's uncle will teach me a few things about avalanche safety.

But I'm definitely heading to the ADK the third of January with 2 or 3 of my friends (they are quite as in shape as me), but I still don't know the safest and the easiest slide climb in there. Is it Dix by the Great Slide ?????

Thank you
accoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #22
JClimbs
Callousedhand

There's no cut-and-dried answer to that question. If avalanche risks are high when you go, all slides would be bad. I don't know what the conditions are like in the HP, but if they've had similar warm/cold spells as more southerly regions, then the snow we received today will be sitting on a crust of ice. I suspect it will sluff off before the 3rd, but there's really no telling. Keep your eyes on the Mountaineer website and don't hesitate to call them for information. They're great in that regard.
And don't of course, forget to drop in and shop there, too. They're worth investing in.
JClimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #23
James_W
Trad Climber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClimbs View Post
Keep your eyes on the Mountaineer website and don't hesitate to call them for information. They're great in that regard.
And don't of course, forget to drop in and shop there, too. They're worth investing in.
Agreed. Really great shop regardless of prices, keep it local. And drop in for the Books alone. I was able to find an early release from the American Alpine Club on the Central Columbia Range in BC.
A few hours mountain climbing turns a rogue and a saint into two roughly equal creatures. Weariness is the shortest path to equality and fraternityóand liberty is finally added by sleep - Friedrich Nietzsche

James_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #24
accoustic
Administrator

Dix expedition

Hi everybody,

I'm just giving you some news of my expedition in the dacks.

In the morning, we went to the mountaineer shop to have some information about eh trails and buy some stuff (very nice guys, very helpful information, I liked this place). After that, we walked to the lean-to in really deep snow (it was like if we were the first to go there since a very long time). We installed our tents and tried to survive to a -30 degree Celsius night with a 90% humidity :P (I'm not guessing those conditions, it's really what have been registered). The next day, we hadn't much time but we use the trail that goes to the summit. When we passed under the slide, two of us stayed at the bottom of it and me and another guy climbed the easy half of the slide just to have a look of the difficulty. We were definitely the first out there, we had to keep our snow shoes to be able to walk. The slide on the extreme right seems to bee the easiest, and you can bushwhack to the right to get to the trail if anything wrong happen. And trees seem to give a good protection in case of an avalanche, and also seem to be big enough to attach a rope. Next time, I'll definitely rent some equipment and try it.

If anyone is planning a trip on Dix, you can send me an e-mail for more detailed information about the snow and trail condition.

I really appreciate this trip. But I'm a bit disappointed to did not have the equipment to try the slide, It was a a cold but awesome sunny day.

Ciao.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
pico23

Marcy in 3 hours? Did you fly in? isn't it like 14 miles from any direction? That's a 4.5 mile per hour pace in the winter? Did you at least ski? I'm lucky if I can hike it in 3 days ...nice work. Heck slant rock takes me 4 hours to get to on a good day. I hate my parents and my crappy genetics.

However, being in great shape doesn't mean you'll be a great technical climber. Actually provided your fit (not fat) it's more mental then anything. When your climbing you stand around a lot more, cold affects you more, and simply defying gravity in adverse conditions is mentally straining.

I'd start reading, practicing knots, prussiks, etc. then take some lessons, or simply find a competent partner that doesn't mind a newb tagging along. Read the above listed books, then read them again.

One thing people don't realize is a few days of guided lessons doesn't make you a safe climber. Repetitively practicing and learning new skills does, as does paying attention to seemingly minute details when defying gravity.

I always argue with the people who took 2 days of self rescue classes and never practiced again that they wasted their money. On the flip side they argue that just because my partners and I practiced it (and taught ourselves) that we probably won't do it right. The compromise would be to practice, figure out the basics, and then take a guided lesson(s), then practice some more.

My little brother knows how to cover his mouth when he coughs, but never does it. When I ask him not to cough in my face, he says, "I know I should cough like this (into his sleeve)". I say, great to have the theoretical knowledge, now you have to apply it in the real world. That's my take on guiding vs. doing. (btw, he's only 4 years old).

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes
pico23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
accoustic
Administrator

loll Marcy in three hours isn't that hard. It took me three hours just to get to the summit. And Marcy dam is a popular hike so the snowshoes trail isn't deep snow. Finally, my 5 years of Track and field also helped me.

P.S. : Thanks for your advise pico23
Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #27
pico23

Ah, 3 hours each way....a little more reasonable. still too fast for me!!!

Yeah, I ran track...52 second 400m. sub 2:00 800m, which I was proud of, but I talked the the coach at Arkansas and he politely laughed at my #'s. Hey, best track program in collegiate history, just happened to be the wrong school for me to walk on at!!!

You must have been a distance runner.

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes
pico23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #28
accoustic
Administrator

Yeah, 3000m most of the time

You did under 2:00 and 52 ; Impressive.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #29
KurtVon

I'm enjoying the track talk here haha. Yea those good old track days, makes life on the trails just a bit easier. since you guys are sharing your stats...

here's my stats
high jump 6' 5"
javelin 185'
400 m - 50 sec

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #30
accoustic
Administrator

cool stats. Well I'm from Quebec so I can't really appreciate your high jump accomplishments because it's in feet :P....loll But converted in metric it seems great.

I'm still not there, I'm only 16... But I run under 9:30 on a 3000m, under 4:30 on a 1500 (I haven't done a 1500m this year yet so it's not representative) and I'm under 17:00 on road race 5k. Maybe a time on a mile would be more familiar for you, but I'll do my first one next weekend at Hanover. It seems that I am the only one who's still running. Are you keeping yourselves in shape?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #31
KurtVon

I justed graduated from High School last year and am in my first year of college. Yea I constantly am keeping myself in shape. Still running pretty much everyday with a lot of weight lifting. Weekends I usually head to the peaks and do some hiking at a fast pace because I can and its a good work out to!!! Although I'm not doing track anymore, I'm still considering transferring to NYU for their business program and TRACK. That means no ADKs though
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote