Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Qtip

Tupper Lake project

I was just wondering what the status was of the proposed Tupper Lake developement project; considering the mortgage/homebuilder downslide and the problems that have arisen from it.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Qtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

Published January 26, 2008 05:30 am - Orvis shooting range dropped from resort development plans in Tupper Lake.

Tupper project heads into mediation
Shooting school dropped from plan

By KIM SMITH DEDAM
Staff Writer

TUPPER LAKE -- Mediation sessions among about 35 parties and developers of the Adirondack Club and Resort lumbered toward the starting gate.

And they didn't stall.

Several contentious issues automatically fell to the wayside when developers announced their decision to remove an Orvis shooting school and clays course from the project plan.

The change seemed news to the five environmental groups, which remained concerned that the shooting school, criticized primarily for potential noise impact, might show up again in a later proposal.

TOO CONTROVERSIAL

In an interview during a break, lead developer Michael Foxman said the shooting school is no longer part of the application.

"It was so controversial, it wasn't that important to us," he said.

The amenity was part of an Orvis branding that Foxman said remains with the project despite the change.

"It's just process."

Green groups at the meeting did ask Adirondack Club and Resort attorney Tom Ulasewicz to put in writing the decision to withdraw the shooting school. Fly-fishing and fishing guides are still part of resort plans to build about 664 units of housing, a marina, riding trails, hotel accommodations and condominiums on 6,400 acres around a restored Big Tupper Ski Area.

WORKING OUT TERMS

Sticking points on mediation issues looked like an impasse until a recess worked out terms of order that established a place to begin.

After about a half-hour in side discussions, attorneys for the developer and opposition broke with a brief memorandum of understanding.

Mitch Goroski, an attorney for the APA, read a brief summary of the list of issues:

Mediation will be a voluntary, open-ended process to begin with issues identified by the APA order to adjudicatory hearing.
Assuming progress, mediation will then move to priority issues raised by any party.

Any party may withdraw from the process without prejudice if they find it too restrictive or unproductive.

PERMITS

Christopher Lacombe, attorney for the Department of Environmental Conservation, said developers have not furthered permits pending for stormwater management and other elements of the project.

But, Lacombe said, complete applications are not a precondition to mediation. He suggested moving issues raised by DEC applications to the end of the mediation process.

CLOSED SESSIONS

The mediation sessions will remain private and closed to the press and the public, limited only to parties of record, mostly environmentalists and adjoining landowners with a vested interest in the impact of the resort development.

Parties involved in mediation will likely have to sign a confidentiality agreement, a contract that Tupper Lake News publisher and adjoining landowner Dan McClelland said he would sign.

At the end of the mediation, a transcript of agreements reached or issues unanswered will be presented at a public hearing, ahead of the adjudicatory hearing process.

Mark Sengenberger, director of regulatory programs for the APA, clarified the nature of documentation required for APA approval.

"Stipulations that evolve from the process would have to be supported by testimony and the potential positive and negative impacts, not merely that everybody agreed to do a particular thing."

Mediation provides a record, he said, that is the basis for APA final review.

Dun'kin donut, the movie gallery, the bottle redemption center, the movie theater and jarden plastics are all closing in Tupper lake. So will the last person shut the lights off when they leave.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

How many people are losing their jobs at Jardin?
Next will be Fortunes and TL Supply, all that will be left will be Stewarts...and the Vet office...
Sounds like not enough tourists stopped on the way to the Wild Center..
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
adk-46r

Published March 19, 2008 10:00 pm - Jarden Plastics Solutions falls to foreign competition.

Tupper Lake plastics plant to close
Foreign markets doom Tupper plastics manufacturer

By KIM SMITH DEDAM
Staff Writer

TUPPER LAKE -- Jarden Plastics Solutions Inc. will close its production plant here, putting almost 70 people out of work.

Franklin County Legislator Paul Maroun received a letter, dated March 13, from company President Charles Villa Jr., who is based in Greer, S.C.

Villa informed county lawmakers, as required by the Workers Adjustment and Notification Act, which allocates federal funds for retraining when a company moves manufacturing overseas, Maroun said.

The letter maintains that the company can "no longer maintain viable operations" and will lay off its 68 employees -- everyone from the plant manager to packers -- effective Sunday, May 18.

Maroun said the company has provided good jobs for people from Tupper Lake, Long Lake, Piercefield and surrounding communities since it bought the former Oval Wood Dish Co., which happened on Sept. 26, 2003, according to Town Historian Jon Kopp.

The blow of the closure left lawmakers scrambling to find a solution.

"Sixty-eight is a lot of jobs in Tupper Lake, and a lot of the employees are our volunteer firemen," Maroun said.

The employees are not members of a union. They were informed of the layoffs Wednesday, though many in the community had suspected the end was near.

Tupper Lake Town Supervisor Roger Amell said there had been talk even eight months ago of Jarden closing its manufacturing operations this spring.

"They lost the poker-chip contract in the fall but said there was enough work until April," Amell said. "It's the foreign market, just like anything else. We can't compete."

But lawmakers are looking to sit down with Villa and other Jarden Plastics Solutions officials to explore a potential deal producing plastic table wear for the state prison system.

The deal would blend location with economic-development incentives, Maroun said.

"With the right mix of facility and incentives, we could do something with this guy."

Marty Mozdzier, executive director of Tupper Lake Chamber of Commerce, said they've been in communication with the company.

"We are incredibly sad that that is the move they need to make. We've communicated with them throughout this period of time, but it is a corporate decision. We are not sure what we would be looking forward to, with Adirondack Park Agency regulation generally against many forms of manufacturing. But we're going to be very attentive to any opportunities we can find."
Jarden Plastics Solutions took over operations from the former Oval Wood Dish Co., which had been in Tupper Lake for almost 100 years.

The company, originally based in Michigan, bought more than 100,000 acres of forest and stumpage on surrounding Adirondack lands and rebuilt a factory to open around 1917, according to early accounts of county history.

The plant initially generated its own electricity from wood byproducts, which later became Tupper Lake's electric department. Cheap power was considered an enticement for industry, even then.

What is left of the Oval Wood Dish lands are being held in trust with a purchase agreement pending for development into the Adirondack Club and Resort.

kdedam@pressrepublican.com

About five years ago before jarden took over there were about 200 employees.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
Old 04-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

No joke about turning the lights off, 70 ppl seems like a HUGE hit for TL. That with the other small businesses....
Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
adk-46r

upper town board accepts reassessment
Town to take 30% off each property’s reassessed value

By NATHAN BROWN, Enterprise Staff Writer
POSTED: April 18, 2008
Save | Print | Email | Read comments | Post a comment
Email: "Tupper town board accepts reassessment"
*To:

<--TO Email REQUIRED!

<--FROM Email REQUIRED!

TUPPER LAKE — At a sparsely attended but lively meeting Thursday afternoon, the town board voted 3-2 to accept town Assessor Larry Cole’s recent reassessment of the town, but to knock 30 percent off everyone’s assessed value.

Town Supervisor Roger Amell said after the meeting that this was his idea. He said he thought it would be more fair than adopting the assessment as it was, given a current drop in real estate prices. Amell said the board hadn’t yet decided whether to order another reassessment for next year.

“We’re going to get through this one first, and then make a decision where we’re going to go from here,” he said.

Many property owners have complained since the results of the revaluation of the town’s 3,200 parcels were announced last month, saying their assessed values increased disproportionately. Overall, the town’s assessed value jumped from $297 million to $521 million.

“Hopefully, the Board of Assessment Review can work out the issues,” Amell said.

The assessment will be sent to Malone to be certified on May 1, and the town Board of Assessment Review will start hearing complaints after that. Until then, town residents unhappy with their assessments can speak to Cole about changing them.

Amell pointed out that, out of the 200 people who have complained about their reassessments to Cole so far, 90 have had their assessments reduced.

“We’re here to represent everybody,” Amell said. “Hopefully we can do what’s in the best interests of everybody.”

“I think they made a huge mistake,” said Peter Day, owner of Day Wholesale and a leader in the recent campaign against the reassessment. “Our revaluation is extremely flawed — full of gross inequities, due to the gross incompetence of the assessor.”

Day predicted that the board’s decisions will lead to lawsuits by property owners unhappy with their assessments and that the town and school district will have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees, and possibly back taxes if the courts rule in favor of the property owners. Day also said the large increase in the town’s value would lead to reduced state aid for the school district, since the state’s aid formula takes a town’s overall per-capita value into account.

“They know it’s flawed,” Day said, referring to the town board. “They all admitted it’s flawed.”

Before the motion to accept the current reassessment at 70 percent passed, town Councilman Shawn Stuart moved to call on Cole to scrap the reassessment and use the old numbers for the 2008-09 tax roll, with some additions for newly built properties.

“We all know we need a new revaluation, and this gives us time to move forward,” Stuart said.

“I think it’s more than reasonable to ask the assessor to work off the old tax rolls for one year while we work these numbers out,” said town Councilman John Button.

“If it doesn’t get accepted, he resigns,” Amell said.

Town Councilwoman Kathleen Lefebvre voted against the motion, saying Cole would never accept it. She had said earlier in the meeting that the town board had the legal authority to order a revaluation, but not to substitute its judgment for the assessor’s.

“No matter what we do, the final judgment is in his hands,” said town Councilman Jay Skiff. “We can’t set it aside.”

Town Attorney Dave Johnson said there was little legal precedent to support either side.

Stuart’s motion was defeated 2-3, with Lefebvre, Amell and Skiff voting against it. Lefebvre then moved to accept the assessment at 70 percent of its face value, and this passed 3-2, with Stuart and Button voting “no.”

“Kathleen Lefebvre doesn’t want the assessor to quit,” Day said after the meeting. “Kathleen Lefebvre’s husband (former town of Altamont Supervisor Dean Lefebvre) appointed Larry Cole years ago.”

Several town property owners showed up at the meeting to reiterate their complaints about inequities in the assessment. Michelle Moeller gave the example of three trailers in her neighborhood. One, which was assessed at $34,000, has a basement and looks like a house from the outside due to exterior work the owner has done. Another, which was assessed at $45,000, has no improvements on the property except a garage. The third, which was assessed at $66,000, has no improvements and is 28 years old.

“I feel our assessor should be let go,” said Cheryl Vaillancourt.

“I think the new evaluation is so flawed, so many blazing inconsistencies, blazing mistakes, you can’t approve it,” Day said.

Contact Nathan Brown at 891-2600 ext. 26 or

The good news is that two of our three soft ice cream stands opened this weekend.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Lute Hawkins

Sometimes I think the whole idea of the Adirondack park is unsustainable...the idea about a forever wild park where people live in it.

I have no irons in this fire since I only can visit for one or two weeks a year, but...

People who live there can't even keep their jobs making fukcin plastic poker chips because the rest of us would rather buy the cheap foreign junk?

Developments in Tupper Lake for the crowd with money to burn? Yeah I know Tupper Lake is dying, but turning it into another overcrowded, plasticized freakzone like Lake Placid or Lake George can't be the answer, not in a "forever wild" park.

Oh I see...the 70-odd out-of-work employees can work for the moneyed snotnoses when the development is finished, waxing their boats and performing various maid services, until the illegals push into Tupper Lake and take even those jobs.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but I feel the park getting smaller in spirit, I see it getting alot less wild, and in 20 years, I think it will be a shadow of what it was meant to be, if anyone in 20 years remembers just what that was.
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Keithk
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
Sometimes I think the whole idea of the Adirondack park is unsustainable...the idea about a forever wild park where people live in it.

I have no irons in this fire since I only can visit for one or two weeks a year, but...

People who live there can't even keep their jobs making fukcin plastic poker chips because the rest of us would rather buy the cheap foreign junk?

Developments in Tupper Lake for the crowd with money to burn? Yeah I know Tupper Lake is dying, but turning it into another overcrowded, plasticized freakzone like Lake Placid or Lake George can't be the answer, not in a "forever wild" park.

Oh I see...the 70-odd out-of-work employees can work for the moneyed snotnoses when the development is finished, waxing their boats and performing various maid services, until the illegals push into Tupper Lake and take even those jobs.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but I feel the park getting smaller in spirit, I see it getting alot less wild, and in 20 years, I think it will be a shadow of what it was meant to be, if anyone in 20 years remembers just what that was.

I think it's unfair to say TL is dying. While it's obviously bad that Jardin is closing, I think it's equally surprising that it has stayed in business this long. Where else do you see manufacturing in the 'dacks? I don't see any factories in SL or LP either. Or anywhere in America for that matter, pretty darn hard to compete with $1 a day labor in China.

I think that the nature of TL is changing and will have to continue to change. TL was a lumbering/manufacturing town, and has been the slowest of the tri-lakes to adapt to the new reality that is the ADK's. The Wild Center was a small step in the right direction, but a step nonetheless. I think most of the locals realize that the tides have turned, and that's why so many of us hope that the ski area re-opens. There is IMENSE tourist potential here from a paddling/biking/hunting/fishing standpoint. The problem is that so little seems to have been done to take advantage of this, or to encourage it.

However the fact of the matter is that MANY local people cannot afford to live in LP, and more and more of them (us) can't afford SL either. People CAN still afford to own a nice home in TL, and I think that alone guarantees some level of continuity within the town.

From an educational perspective, ALL of the tri-lakes public schools are suffering similar losses of enrollment. Lets not even talk about Keene, Newcomb, Long Lake, etc. If TL is indeed in a sense "dying", then so are the towns with larger economies; we're not losing people any faster than the other towns. If we're dying, it's dying in the sense that it becomes harder and harder to make a living here, and I think that's true throughout the park, not only in Tupper Lake.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Lute Hawkins

The first time I went through TL was back in 1991. This was before I knew anything about the Adirondack park; I was returing from a trip to Montreal, heading toward Utica, and decided to cut through the mountains to see what it was all about.

My gf at the time wanted to stop in a phramacy, so we found one in TL. I spotted a sporting goods store on a corner and went in to see what they had in airguns. I walk in, the shelves are practically bare. The owner tells me that "things are bad up here", and while he's willing to order something you might need, he can't afford to maintain any sort of inventory. Hint #1.

Around 1999, I start joining chat forums and found a large one on Yahoo dedicated to the Adirondacks. One of the founders of the group had family in Tupper who owned a business. Invariably, whenever TL was mentioned, it was never about an economic uplift; just the oposite. Hint #2.

Passed through in winter of 2003-2004 to check out famous Tupper Ski Bowl. Closed; snow base 1 inch. Hint #3.

Passed though TL in 2003. The sporting goods store was deserted. Hint #4.

Passed through again in 2005. Went to some barbecue restaurant (name escapes me). Good food, but place had 4 people in it...the cook, a waitress (albeit cute!) and my gf and me. Hint #5.

Passed through again last year to check out the wildlife center. Restaurant closed. For good. Hint #6. And to top it all off, I somehow managed to accidently clog one of the two available toilets at the wildlife center, so that must have cost the town thousands to reengineer the plumbing.

Believe me, when I say that I see TL as a dying town, I say it sadly. The place is at a great location on a beautiful lake and has a long colorful history, and if I was able to purchase property up there, TL would be among my preferred areas...but the fact is, if that development is built, the only people living in TL will be the new owners, the mayor, and the illegals brought in to service the new owners. Housing complexes like that have no business in a "forever-wild" park and are far less aesthetically appropriate than the proposed cell towers disguised as trees on all the peaks.
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Keithk
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
The first time I went through TL was back in 1991. This was before I knew anything about the Adirondack park; I was returing from a trip to Montreal, heading toward Utica, and decided to cut through the mountains to see what it was all about.

My gf at the time wanted to stop in a phramacy, so we found one in TL. I spotted a sporting goods store on a corner and went in to see what they had in airguns. I walk in, the shelves are practically bare. The owner tells me that "things are bad up here", and while he's willing to order something you might need, he can't afford to maintain any sort of inventory. Hint #1.

Around 1999, I start joining chat forums and found a large one on Yahoo dedicated to the Adirondacks. One of the founders of the group had family in Tupper who owned a business. Invariably, whenever TL was mentioned, it was never about an economic uplift; just the oposite. Hint #2.

Passed through in winter of 2003-2004 to check out famous Tupper Ski Bowl. Closed; snow base 1 inch. Hint #3.

Passed though TL in 2003. The sporting goods store was deserted. Hint #4.

Passed through again in 2005. Went to some barbecue restaurant (name escapes me). Good food, but place had 4 people in it...the cook, a waitress (albeit cute!) and my gf and me. Hint #5.

Passed through again last year to check out the wildlife center. Restaurant closed. For good. Hint #6. And to top it all off, I somehow managed to accidently clog one of the two available toilets at the wildlife center, so that must have cost the town thousands to reengineer the plumbing.

Believe me, when I say that I see TL as a dying town, I say it sadly. The place is at a great location on a beautiful lake and has a long colorful history, and if I was able to purchase property up there, TL would be among my preferred areas...but the fact is, if that development is built, the only people living in TL will be the new owners, the mayor, and the illegals brought in to service the new owners. Housing complexes like that have no business in a "forever-wild" park and are far less aesthetically appropriate than the proposed cell towers disguised as trees on all the peaks.
Well, there are 2 pharmacies (Rite Aid and Kinney's), 2 of the resturaunts that had closed re-opened this year AND 2 new ones opened (Little Italy and the Brick Oven Cafe, which shut down for the winter but is re-opening in a couple weeks, yay). The Wisebuys is going to be renovated as they switch to the Hacketts name. I'm not claiming the town is booming, it obviously isn't, but it's silly to suggest that the town is dying. It's just not happening.

Just last week, there was a big article in the Enterprise about how the owners of the new Whiteface Lodge development (we're talking 10s of millions of dollars here) are "returning the property to the creditors" or something along those lines. This is in LP, not TL. When everyone thought Camp Gabriels was closing up until a couple weeks ago, you should have heard people in SL talking about the impact on the town and what they thought it meant for the future.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that the ADK's or the Tri-Lakes are doing well economically, just that Tupper Lake is not losing people or businesses any faster than the other tri-lakes towns.

As for your comment that the only people living here would be the mayor and the new owners, this is just completely false. People are moving to TL because the prices have become so inflated in SL and LP. Yes there are a couple houses in our neighborhood for sale, but there are NOT vacant homes sitting unoccupied around town. In LP a substantial number of the houses sit empty for 95% of the year. Afterall, why own a multimillion dollar home on the lake if you plan on spending more than 2 weeks in it a year, right? gotta love the wealthy.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
As for your comment that the only people living here would be the mayor and the new owners, this is just completely false. People are moving to TL because the prices have become so inflated in SL and LP.
I think part of the concern is that IF the Big Tupper development goes in, then Tupper Lake will go the way of Lake Placid. If the development was successful, and Tupper all of a sudden became a trendy place to be, then you could kiss that affordable real estate goodbye.

I know there is a group of adjacent landowners who are actively opposed to the proposal, and who have been part of the current effort to stall it at the park agency.

I have no opinion on the development myself, but I'm just mentioning this for discussion purposes.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
Keithk
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
I think part of the concern is that IF the Big Tupper development goes in, then Tupper Lake will go the way of Lake Placid. If the development was successful, and Tupper all of a sudden became a trendy place to be, then you could kiss that affordable real estate goodbye.

I know there is a group of adjacent landowners who are actively opposed to the proposal, and who have been part of the current effort to stall it at the park agency.

I have no opinion on the development myself, but I'm just mentioning this for discussion purposes.
Very true, with a good portion of that opposition coming from the Simon Pond neighborhood. That being said, judging by the number of businesses sporting "we support the Big Tupper Development" signs, and word around the town, I think it's safe to say that a majority of the TL residents support the proposal at least in part, if not in its entirety. I havn't heard ANYONE who is opposed to the ski area re-opening, but obviously many people have major reservations about the "village" that's supposed to be built over there.

Now if we want things to get interesting, lets talk about that lovely mass mailing the ADK Council sent out in TL last year. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.....

Aldo Leopold
Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
Bill I.

Quote:
Now if we want things to get interesting, lets talk about that lovely mass mailing the ADK Council sent out in TL last year. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.....
Please DO share the details! One of the Simons Pond people I listened to said she cringed when she saw this.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
havn't heard ANYONE who is opposed to the ski area re-opening, but obviously many people have major reservations about the "village" that's supposed to be built over there.
From what I know, that seems to be the problem...rather than a modest plan to update and re-open Big Tupper, the developers want a huuuge project, which would clearly favor the wealthy out-of-towners Lute mentions. If they scale it back, then it seems more reasonable.

Of course, that may be their plan all along - go out with all guns blazing, then scale back to what they really wanted to appease everyone...some negotiatin strategy!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
adk-46r

Quote:
Well, there are 2 pharmacies (Rite Aid and Kinney's), 2 of the resturaunts that had closed re-opened this year AND 2 new ones opened (Little Italy and the Brick Oven Cafe, which shut down for the winter but is re-opening in a couple weeks, yay). The Wisebuys is going to be renovated as they switch to the Hacketts name. I'm not claiming the town is booming, it obviously isn't, but it's silly to suggest that the town is dying. It's just not happening.

Just last week, there was a big article in the Enterprise about how the owners of the new Whiteface Lodge development (we're talking 10s of millions of dollars here) are "returning the property to the creditors" or something along those lines. This is in LP, not TL. When everyone thought Camp Gabriels was closing up until a couple weeks ago, you should have heard people in SL talking about the impact on the town and what they thought it meant for the future.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that the ADK's or the Tri-Lakes are doing well economically, just that Tupper Lake is not losing people or businesses any faster than the other tri-lakes towns.

As for your comment that the only people living here would be the mayor and the new owners, this is just completely false. People are moving to TL because the prices have become so inflated in SL and LP. Yes there are a couple houses in our neighborhood for sale, but there are NOT vacant homes sitting unoccupied around town. In LP a substantial number of the houses sit empty for 95% of the year. Afterall, why own a multimillion dollar home on the lake if you plan on spending more than 2 weeks in it a year, right? gotta love the wealthy.
There were three pharmacies in Tupper when I first moved here. The new restaurant that opened appears to be doing well. The ironic part of this place is that one of its new owners was also co-owner in the ski resort that failed and was sold to the new developers. The pine grove restaurant will be closing soon because the owners are going to retire. Little Italy does well as it does in other towns around the adk. park. The Brick oven is far from a restaurant. It is nothing more than an over priced coffee shop that wants to cater to the elite and prey on summer visitors. It is closed more than it is open. I went in Wise buys yesterday to see for myself if it has improved. It is about the same only now it is a dollar store with power tolls and lawn and garden equipment. All you have to do is to take a trip to Plattsburgh on a weekend to see that Tupper is dying. The Mall, Sam's Club, Walmart and all the other stores and restaurants are packed with Tupper residents who need to travel sixty plus miles one way just to get what they need at a decent price. When you consider taking a day to shop and the price of gasoline approaching $4.00 per gallon that you can still save money by going out of town to do business confirms Tupper is dying. I went to Albany last night with a local restaurant owner and we spent the six hour round trip trying to list the businesses that have closed in the last 10 t0 15 years in Tupper. Just when we thought the list was complete we thought of another one that bit the dust. True many new business fail in the first couple of years but many of these were well established businesses that could no longer survive. So look around Tupper and compare. Saranac lake and Placid's downtowns are booming in comparison to Tupper Lake. Get out and drive around the whole town and see the fore sale signs. Look at the rundown vacant buildings even on Park st.. Take a tour of the downtown trailer park for a dose of reality. Things always look better through rose colored glasses so take them off and take a close look around town. As in most communities the school census is dropping and most of those who do graduate From here leave town for good paying jobs that are few and far between here. With the Local population getting older and the youth leaving town it is only a matter of time the town will be taken over by outsiders seeking a second home for vacations. Consider the fact That Sunmount is a state facility and is subject to the whims of politictions. several of these facilities in in NY state have been closed over the past few years . It would be disasterous for Tupper Lake and it would ruin the town; but keep it in the back of your mind it could happen.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Whats the story with the new power line being cut on Rt3 from Seveys Corners to TL? Seems like TL doesn't need more power, unless its for the Nature Center....if so seems like a poor trade for all the trees being cut for the right of way.

Or maybe someones knows something about the ski area and isnt talking?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
skins05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Whats the story with the new power line being cut on Rt3 from Seveys Corners to TL? Seems like TL doesn't need more power, unless its for the Nature Center....if so seems like a poor trade for all the trees being cut for the right of way.

Or maybe someones knows something about the ski area and isnt talking?
I have been wondering about that line as well the past few times I have driven to school. wondering why they are putting up a whole new line in the first place, and second and i guess more importantly, why they are destroying so much of the forests to put it up. they are clearing like a 100 ft from the road in order to put the lines up. its a shame.

And not only does it go from TL to sevey corners, it extends well up onto 56.
skins05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #18
adk-46r

Plans to bring a new 46-kilovolt power line into Tupper Lake to help relieve years of frequent blackouts and power problems were unanimously approved Thursday by the Adirondack Park Agency.

The decision was hailed by those who’ve worked to bring the project to fruition, like Ben Peets, former chairman of the Tupper Lake Power Commission. “After eight years of work and twenty years of no power and low power, we’re seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,” he said.

The new 26-mile transmission line is designed to improve the reliability of the electric system in the Tri-Lakes region.

But environmentalists had questioned the route selected by the New York Power Authority, specifically a six-mile detour off of Route 56 in Colton that would circle a section of Forest Preserve land.

Instead of cutting across acres of forest and wetlands, they pushed for the line to cross state land along the highway corridor – something that would require an amendment to the state Constitution.

John Quinn of Tupper Lake, the APA staff member who presented the project to the agency’s Regulatory Programs Committee, said further delays would only perpetuate public safety concerns. “Yes there will be adverse impact with the clearing and somewhat land loss,” he said. “But you have to take into consideration the public, social and other benefits. We believe those benefits dictate this is the most reasonable approach.”

But Commissioner James Townsend suggested the amendment could still be pursued while work begins at either end of the line. “What’s another year if you’re talking about a thirty year project,” he said.

Rick Hoffman, designee from the Department of State, said it was unfortunate the constitutional amendment hadn’t been sought earlier. “With all the planning on this, you would have hoped somebody would have flagged this issue and gotten this constitutional amendment process rolling,” he said. “I think our hands are tied at this point. To send this to public hearing sends the message we don’t want to send.”

Randall Beach, designee from the Department of Economic Development, said he traveled the route on Wednesday. The location for the line has been “well-thought out,” he said. “Knowing the economic impact this will have to the entire Tri-Lakes area, particularly Tupper Lake, and the safety impact, I think it’s very important we proceed,” he said.

The project was ultimately approved by a unanimous vote of the committee and then the full agency.

Following the meeting, David Gibson of the Association for the Protection of the Adirondacks said he was disappointed with the decision. He said the governor could have started an amendment process with the Power Authority a year ago. “The alternate is unnecessary. It’s damaging and comes close to very sensitive resources in the park. It creates a new 75-foot swath through six miles of Adirondack territory that seems very unnecessary.”

But Ben Peets said worries about impact to the forest have to take a back seat when the welfare of the community is at stake. “We have miles and miles of telephone lines and power lines through the park,” he said. “The safety concerns of the people should be paramount. It has to be.”

The next step for the Power Authority is to work with National Grid on detailed design and engineering for the line. Easements also have to be acquired from a number of landowners.

Construction could begin late this year with the line estimated to be operational by the winter of 2008-2009.

You have to live here to realize the amount of power outages. Tupper has only one feed line coming from the north and when it is down there is no alternate line to provide power. I would be willing to bet that there are more home electric generators percapeta than any other town in the state. when the power goes out all you can hear is generators. The gas stations that have generators have long lines of people filling up there gas cans for the long hall. The second line will not guarentee continuous electric service during a major ice storm like the one this year and the one in 98 but it should greatly improve the smaller outages that occur on a regular basis
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

It sure is ugly tho, I guess after it greens up it wont look too ugly. I wonder if it were done in more prosperous area if the corridor would have been approved. Maybe they can also open up the corridor for recreation linking TL with the outside world. I have always enjoyed that section of RT3 and was shocked at the cutting right on the highway.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
Old Rivers

As i view all the projecs that have been evolving over the past 10 years it seems that the politicians & business owners have the philosophy, "If we build it they will come" All they seem interested in is $$$ while the working class will be priced out and replaced with city folk. I have owned property in the area for several years and bought it because at the time it was still unspoiled. That's the way I liked it then & still do.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote