Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Elbow

Brookies in lakes

I am new to adirondack fishing. Not asking for spots to fish, bit wondering best methods, baits etc to catch brookies in lakes and ponds. I am not a fly fisherman,use spinning gear from a conoe. Ive caught lots of brookies from streams in vermont but getting them from lakes and ponds is new to me. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Craig
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

If they are hitting, mepps aglia spinners have worked for me.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
wildbrookies

There has to be past posts that pertain to spin fishing for lake/brookies but I will just say, the ol` Lake Clear Wobbler trailed by about ~18" of light mono with a juicy worm has been the go to rig up there for a long ,long time. Flies trailed behind will work also. Hope this helps but a search for past posts on this subject should turn up more techniques.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
skillzman1

+1 Lake Clear...finding the right speed is the sweet spot!

Anybody tell me why my lake clear rig keeps snarling up? I have swivels both ends, bad swivels? too many swivels?
Old 03-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
+1 Lake Clear...finding the right speed is the sweet spot!

Anybody tell me why my lake clear rig keeps snarling up? I have swivels both ends, bad swivels? too many swivels?
+2 on the Wabbler. Troll slow then slow it up even more. Find the bottom.

Skillz this used to happen to me when I trolled too fast and the the spoon would spin instead of wobulate. Sometimes my leaders were too long as well. I used swivels on both ends too and never had a problem if I kept my trolling speed in check.

Now that I fly fish the line gets snarled up around me instead!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
wildbrookies

Ditto on the that nasty spinning of the line.Then, I tried better ball bearing swivels that helped and also doubling them up on both ends totally eliminated any line twisting. Just a thought.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
skillzman1

Good to know! I fish from an inflatable raft that I pack in. It gets a bit frustrating trying to keep everything in check between direction, speed and casting/rowing. The least bit of wind and the raft goes sideways, the speed gets all screwed up, the line twists....
But on a calm day you run out of bait fast because a trout can't resist a copper and chrome wobbler with a dillie tagging along!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Stillhunter

Dillie Dillie
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
picketpin

re: wabbler convo

an old timer once told me to put two snap swivels back-to-back from line to wabbler and one from wabbler to 18" mono to fly or bait.
picketpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by picketpin View Post
an old timer once told me to put two snap swivels back-to-back from line to wabbler and one from wabbler to 18" mono to fly or bait.
worth a try, thanks!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
wildbrookies

Yup.exactly!!... two swivels on top of the Lake Clear and one on the bottom towards the worm,fly,whatever,will be good.. but , still can`t let out too much line or go too fast. The wobble is the key..watch the rod tip for that nice slow wobble.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
I am new to adirondack fishing. Not asking for spots to fish, bit wondering best methods, baits etc to catch brookies in lakes and ponds. I am not a fly fisherman,use spinning gear from a conoe.
3 pieces of Jolly Green Giant canned corn on a size 1 mustad....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote