Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
gmorin71

Some ties

Hope everyone is getting through the winter ok. Couple recent posts were nice to see. Starts to remind us that we are in the home stretch. I donít know about anyone else but that cold stretch locked up a lot of the local spots that I fish in the winter so I havenít been out much. Iím on vacation so Iím hoping to get out for some steel Friday. In the meantime, been spending a lot of time at the bench thought Iíd share. Mainly out of boredom haha

Quill body dry fly (Iíve really come to enjoy tying quill bodies)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rZMQGPEIZZPgKCUj2

Golden stone

https://photos.app.goo.gl/I0md585B1KS8YsVx1

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
gmorin71

Orange body stimi. Don’t really like stimulators but they’re fun to tie

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yIv4W3jar1WVFiB72

Lee Wulff
Old 02-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Great ties!!! I'll take 2 dozen of each.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
wildbrookies

Gary,
Couldn't see the photos of your flies on the work computer but finally did on my laptop at home. All I can say is wow! Those are very,very nice! I love the quill body on the dryfly.Very realistic looking. Also,that stonefly looks like it can crawl away! Wish I could tie with so much detail ,perfection as you! Those will bring some dandy trout to the hand this year.
But, I need to ask you a question on the quill body.Did you have to prep and strip and soak your own quill before tying or is there similar material for sale at fly tying shops to save you time and effort. I love those BreadcrustsI tie and so do the local trout but what a time consuming task prepping the quills from a Grouse in the red/orange phase.

Also ,good luck if you go out for the Steelies! Report back please!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Great ties!!! I'll take 2 dozen of each.
ha, there goes the rest of my vacation

wb, thanks, much appreciated. the best store bought quill that I have found are the hand stripped polish quills. I have started stripping them chemically which I think is the best. All you need is 10 minutes, a water bottle, bleach and some baking soda. One package of peacock eyes will give you enough quills to tie flies for years. they can be colored with markers to match basically any hatch. the below photo is my favorite, no color, just natural. I use these for cahills

https://photos.app.goo.gl/STdObmRIaPc4C6By1

as for the bread crust, those quills are prepared differently than these so thats a whole different story. that is a great fly, I wish I had a better way to prep those feathers but all I have come across so far is soaking splitting by hand etc...

Lee Wulff
Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
RIngFly

Good work . Good fishing to you.
RIngFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
wildbrookies

Thanks for the great info. gmorin. I agree about the Breadcrust nymphs. They're a pain to prep. (can`t substitute with anything store bought,as far as I`m concerned)but the actual tying is fun and fishing them very exciting.But get ready!! Had some really big hits and big fish hate to let them drift by.HaHa!!Try`em,you`ll like`em!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Pauly D.

Wow! Amazing ties. Beautiful symmetry!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Wow! Amazing ties. Beautiful symmetry!

Lee Wulff
Old 02-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

One of many advantages of quill bodies is that they don't absorb water like dubbed bodies do. When the fishing is fast and furious you'll catch many more fish on quill bodied flies before needing to change flies. Tyin' one on has a whole different meaning for flyfishers , (right Pikebuster?).

The red quill is my favorite classic tie, better than the Hendrickson during that hatch and doubles later in the season for the Isonechia hatch.

Wednesday is the last day of Pheasant season here in CT, so Jack the Setter the SXS 16ga. and I will head out, really just an exercise this time of year, then I'll clean up the shotguns and start going over the flyfishing gear.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
gmorin71

I did it, I caved. Plunged into the dark side of our world and tied it up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VmWhaEr9djn53Zwg1

probably due to the current conditions and the thoughts of ice out still being way off. Am having some fun on little brookie tribs though.

Lee Wulff
Old 04-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
Tug Hill

Great looking flies. As for the orange stimulators, I once hit a may fly hatch on a remote ADK Lake. The trout were hammering the May flies in the emerger stage before they broke the surface. I didn’ have an exact match to the emergers in my fly box.

I took a orange stimulator , clipped back the hackle wings, put in wetting agent, and used floating fly line. Best weekend of ADK brook trout fishing, I ever experienced. My rookie fly fishing brother and I caught in excess of 100 . We killed 9 trout. We ate 3 over the weekend and each brought out our limit of 3 ,14”-16” trout .
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
Klinkhamer

Quill bodies

There's a few forms of synthetic quill body materials out there that does not break as easily as the natural when wrapping around the hook. No stripping and pre-soak required either. I'm tying up more wet flies, soft-hackles, and spiders myself these days. Going back to more traditional forms.
Nice ties.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
gmorin71

yes, and some are better than others. I, personally, strongly prefer the natural quills. If I do go synthetic, I definitely prefer the hemingway quills. If you can find a brand that works for you they can make some beautiful flies. Quills have become my go to for a while now. Love them.

I also was excited about the dragon tails. I had a number of patterns that I thought they would work well for. Well, this weekend, when I bought those mop fly bodies, I saw the dragon tails in person for the first time and they are HUGE! way bigger than I thought they were or expected them to be so no go on my ideas haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkhamer View Post
There's a few forms of synthetic quill body materials out there that does not break as easily as the natural when wrapping around the hook. No stripping and pre-soak required either. I'm tying up more wet flies, soft-hackles, and spiders myself these days. Going back to more traditional forms.
Nice ties.

Lee Wulff