Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
OntarioSkiBum

Site Closures on Follensby Clear Pond

I'm not sure if this was discussed here or not, but I stumbled on this while searching for the Saranac Lakes WF unit management plan. Looking at the plan, they will be creating new sites on Upper Saranac to make up for the closures on FCP.

IMO Upper Saranac doesn't have the same appear as FCP, unless you're bringing in power boats. My guess is that the power boat crowd's impact will probably be greater than what FCP is subject to.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...by-clear-pond/
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Msample

Wonder where they are adding sites on Upper Saranac, my impression was that most of the shoreline was private land.

The sites on Follensby do see a lot of use.
Msample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
OntarioSkiBum

The details are in here. http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...fprescamps.pdf

They are creating and closing sites throughout the WF, but FCP and US we the biggest losers and gainers.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msample View Post
Wonder where they are adding sites on Upper Saranac, my impression was that most of the shoreline was private land.

The sites on Follensby do see a lot of use.
Actually a fair bit of USL shore is forest preserve. I don't have a percentage for you though. I've camped out there at the "old" sites, and they are really nice. Some are far, far, far better than anything on Follensby. The appeal of Follesby was always lack of houses and large motor boats.

There are some pretty ostentatious houses on USL though which, to me, kind of kill that camping aspect. You can almost always see one or another. The lake shore is really curvaceous, so that does help some.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
There are some pretty ostentatious houses on USL though which, to me, kind of kill that camping aspect. You can almost always see one or another. The lake shore is really curvaceous, so that does help some.
That's my take on it. The motor boats would kill it more for me than the houses though.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
That's my take on it. The motor boats would kill it more for me than the houses though.
There are times the boats stop going though... but the houses are always there
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #7
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Saginaw Bay on USL, I've never camped on USL but that bay is nice, all state land and almost never sees motor boats, except the occasional fisherman. I do row the guideboat down there for an occasional tour or fishing outing.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
sweeper

I think the biggest losers are Pollywog and Little Green.

I don't understand why LG was hit so hard. It's no-pay car camping spaced further apart then Square or Rollins.

I also like those sites on the lower east side of P-wog, ALL of them need to go?

I do see the need for some of these closures but I think they went too far, which is what bureaucrats do.

Civilization comes to SLWF
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
madison

Does anyone know when these closures are supposed to happen? I camped on Follensby Clear last summer and all of the sites were still open then. It was a good thing too, because a lot of them were occupied.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Msample

Interesting they left Lower Saranac alone - I can't imagine all those sites meet the 150' privy to water offset, or the .25 mile separation standard.
Msample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
sweeper

It's only a proposal at this point.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msample View Post
Interesting they left Lower Saranac alone - I can't imagine all those sites meet the 150' privy to water offset, or the .25 mile separation standard.
Totally different management strategies. One is intensive use, the other is wild forest.

Not sayin' the sites on LSL are good or bad, but they tend to try to keep the wild character more in tact in wild forest, primitive and wilderness areas. This means closing and moving sites from time to time. It's already been done and ongoing in the Canoe Area, so I don't see this as being any different. They tend to expect more use in WF areas, but at some point they do need to shift sites to let the old ones re-vegetate. If they don't, the forest often becomes trampled and compacted and stripped of wood to replenish organic soils. 20 or so years and it will look like new again, and they can rotate it back in.