Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
lisainthewoods
Louie on Lewey & Snowy behind

Lake Harris paddling or surrounding area

Never having camped there, I just made reservations for a site on Lake Harris this summer. My husband and I are looking forward to spending time in the area and were wondering about near by paddling opportunities on the lake or adjoining waterways. We enjoy a remote feel and are recreational kayakers. I'm looking for a day trip idea with a picturesque destination for a picnic or a swim. I would prefer to be able to go from our site but if there is something nearby that's nice we could also drive to it. Thanks 😊
Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
bluequill

Lake Harris is very nice but you will not get a remote feeling there. Just up rt 28 a couple of minutes is Rich Lake which is very nice. Twenty minutes away you have Henderson Lake which is outstanding but requires a half mile easy carry/ cart. Bring your bikes and peddle the 5 miles to Great Camp Santononi and just down the road is Goodnow firetower with awesome views. Ten minutes away down Goodnow Flow Rd is the Essex Chain of Lakes too. Plenty of places to paddle and things to do in that area.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Buckladd

Bluegill is right about Harris and the surrounding waters, especially Henderson and the Essex Chain. There's also Cheney Pond and who knows, by then you may be able to get closer to Boreas Ponds? And there's the new access to County Line Flow not far from there, which I hope to check out this year.

I'm not sure if you can do this anymore or not, but one time, while camping at Harris, a bunch of us did a trip from Rich Lake to Harris. It involved portages on private land, which was a allowed at the time. They kayak shop up there should know. It was a nice little trip.

To this day my wife hates Harris because one time we camped there and a guy with a jet boat (not jetski) spent all of Friday night and most of Saturday just going in circles, making noise and huge waves. Point being: motor boats can be an issue, but you can get away from them if you get on the Hudson.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

As those guys mentioned, Henderson, Essex Chain Lakes, Cheney Pond (and the Boreas), County Line Flow, Hudson River, Boreas Ponds, Newcomb Lake are all nearby, with varying levels of effort to get to them. There's also Wolf Pond, an adventurous upstream romp.

I've enjoyed camping at Harris for over 30 years, it's generally pretty quiet, but I like it most for its location.
Out of all the mentioned spots, I have photos of all of them (and more yet not mentioned), some spots offer breathtaking views.
If anything really intrigues you, ask for some photos, or browse through my linked photos, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
ADKJoe

Exploring Henderson Lake

My opinion is Henderson Lake is definitely worth the small effort to get to. The trail is wide and flat. If you don't have a kayak/canoe cart definitely invest in one as they do come in handy. Anyway enjoy your adventure this summer!

https://adirondackjoe.com/2017/10/01...enderson-lake/
Old 03-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
There's also Wolf Pond, an adventurous upstream romp.
Is that doable as a flatwater paddle? Or even the Boreas upstream from there? If so, looks like fun!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
lisainthewoods
Louie on Lewey & Snowy behind

Thanks for all the great info. I think Henderson does sound really nice and a good possibility.
When I got out my gazette I realized I had highlighted Lester Flow ( having read a trip report a while back) , so that's another option. I definitely need to purchase carts as well.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

If you don't mind some wading and class I-II whitewater, Hudson down to Blackwell Stillwater will be exactly what you're looking for (if water levels are ok).
There's a short carry (wheelable) at the end, and you'll need a second vehicle or talk to croudsplitter folks for a shuttle and water level / conditions (is there paddlers' Uber in Newcomb yet?)

Last edited by timberghost; 03-02-2018 at 06:22 PM..
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Is that doable as a flatwater paddle? Or even the Boreas upstream from there? If so, looks like fun!
Buckladd and Lisa,

Here's a link to a trip report for Cheney Pond and the Boreas to rt 28N. Above the old dam site is an easy, fun flat water trip. Below the dam is strictly a downstream run. Somewhere in the TR I muse about adequate water levels, using the Hudson River gage.
http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=19074

And here's a link to a trip report to Wolf Pond, maybe better, maybe not since the lean to was built there. Either way, the views were the best to be had before Boreas Ponds were accessible.

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=9861