Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming.

Looks like I won't be able to enjoy these new snows this weekend but we may get some locally I will be able to play in.

Comment

Skied today from North Point Road to Lower Sargent Pond (just west of Blue Mountain Lake). There was about a foot of new snow and the skiing was great.

I left Schroon Lake where there was about 5" of snow and drove west on Route 28. As I got west of Indian Lake, the snow got much deeper.
      Offonadventure.com

Comment

Great Data on Snow Depth

Here are some great sites I use to check on snow depth. I have found them to be very good.

This one is great if you use Google Earth:

Click on the most recent day for a snow analysis overlay and it will open up a KML file in Google Earth as a temporary layer. You can select snow depth as one of the choices. You can zoom anywhere in the US.

If you find this too complicated, or don't use Google Earth, check this snow cover site on Intellicast:

You can click pan and zoom to go anywhere in the US. I have found both to be pretty accurate. I used them today with good results.
        Offonadventure.com

Comment

Originally posted by Telemarkmike View Post
          Skied today from North Point Road to Lower Sargent Pond (just west of Blue Mountain Lake). There was about a foot of new snow and the skiing was great.
          A little OT but how was the condition of the trail and what would you say the difficulty i.e. how much climbing, descents, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
            A little OT but how was the condition of the trail and what would you say the difficulty i.e. how much climbing, descents, etc?
            Not difficult in terms of ascent. Only 500 vertical all day. A couple downed trees to go over or around. It is marked as a snowmobile trail, so if they get out there, that will ruin the skiing.
            Offonadventure.com

Comment

Near North Creek we got about 10".

We heard some whomphing while snowshoeing my xc trails. Usually means an unstable layer. Might be a good idea to do some test pits if you're skiing slides.

Have fun, Be careful.
              'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Here's another snow depth map

Comment

There is great skiing in the Saranac Lake area. The recent storm dropped 8-10" and conditions are good. The base was a little thin, so use caution in the woods and going down hills, but the rock skis can be put away.

Comment

Any news from this past weekend? I'm guessing most areas lost their snow.

Comment

We still have 1' of snow on the ground in the village of Old Forge.
                      BC ski conditions after the freeze will be excellent once it snows again.

Comment

Four wet inches on the ground here on Diamond Point. Still melting.
                        Are you in possession of all of your marbles?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Comment

Benson toward Rock Lake XC ski 12/27/13

Two of us skied thru the new 5+” over the remaining base from the earlier dumping but made it only 2 miles in. The last prior sign-in was Thurs 12/19 and some track could be seen up until we turned abound. With the melt off pre-Christmas, numerous tricky water crossings and two brief ski removals it was slow going. Coverage over rocks only marginal with some evident and often limited skiable path. Until more packed snow, I’d recommend metal edge skis and something wider than touring skis.

Not long after the bridge over W Stony Creek the trail up thru a gully was not skiable for many yards as there were no good snow bridges and some running water. The weather however was perfect – high 20’s, no wind, partial sunshine & some flurries. First mile up/down to the bank of the creek best stretch to ski, but maneuvering required in a few spots.

Lapland Lake XC center had primo conditions (per my daughter) and had a good crowd. We saw no one else on the N-P trail. 6-8” off trail. Packed trail only a few inches deep and not well set.

Comment

Good XC on the BREIA trails and off trail in the woods near Boonville yesterday and today. Tug Hill has many inches of fluffy new snow over a deep hard older base.
                            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Up in the Brant Lake area today, 2"-4" granular in the woods, icy crust on the snowmobile trails. Not ideal for skiing although good for walking.
                              Tick Magnet

Comment

Ice topped with about 2 inches of snow up in the Blue Mtn. Lake area yesterday. Didn't even bring my skis, didn't want to listen to them complain. Rain started while on my way out of the woods.

Comment

Working...
                                X