Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading out tomorrow morning. Praying for the upper end of the 3" forecast!

Comment

Anyone planning on skiing in northern ADK should be prepared for "blowdown" (icedown) on the BC trails and in the woods - the ice storm did enough damage to bring down numerous limbs and larger chunks (snapped tree trunks).
      SRCA has numerous base (snow pack) washouts on Fish Pond truck trail (esp. the North side of "heartbreak" hill) in addition to trees across the trail (skied on 12/25) Icy base with light powder coating on top. Lake ice was in decent shape, but always check (yourself) before crossing.
      Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

Aspect will make a big difference - drove through Cascade Pass just now, some snow on the N facing side, but the S facing (Pitchoff) side was mostly bare ground with some patches of snow. Also there is a temperature inversion - right now at my house in Keene at 1800' it's 42F. It's clouding up, but I'm expecting rain right from the start. Maybe it will cool off...

Comment

Ick for you guys. We have gotten some 20-25 inches of snow this week in Western Maine/White Mtns..if anyone wants superb b/c skiing this is the place. Twelve inches in four hours tonight! Powder!( sog was forecast but it seems like fluff)

Two skiers got caught in an avalanche. Snow on top of ice is not usually a good thing.

More snow forecast for later in the week. We are on a two storm a week cycle and I heard that its expected to persist for some weeks.

Comment

I was in North Creek today. Stopped at Garnet Hill, they didn't get much snow and they didn't have the skis setup for my wife to demo so we went next door.

Siamese Ponds WA in the north is very icy and crusty. Skiing would be nearly impossible, trail was great with short snowshoes and would have been fine with spikes.

On the way up Morehouse to Speculator looked promising, lots of fresh snow there. Only had one set of skis though. I'm kind of ticked with GH, wish I would have went to Old Forge, bet they had fresh snow and I could have had her demo skis at Mountain Man.

SPWA was really nice though... cold... but nice.

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
              I was in North Creek today. Stopped at Garnet Hill, they didn't get much snow and they didn't have the skis setup for my wife to demo so we went next door.

Siamese Ponds WA in the north is very icy and crusty. Skiing would be nearly impossible, trail was great with short snowshoes and would have been fine with spikes.

On the way up Morehouse to Speculator looked promising, lots of fresh snow there. Only had one set of skis though. I'm kind of ticked with GH, wish I would have went to Old Forge, bet they had fresh snow and I could have had her demo skis at Mountain Man.

SPWA was really nice though... cold... but nice.

4" = dust on solid crust. Conditions on TGC would have been decent and no snowmobile noise to contend with

Comment

Some fresh snow in North Creek. Was at GH and there actually was some powder off the side of the trails. The groomed trails were actually pretty nice, not hard or icy.

Comment

Lake Ontario turned on again yesterday and last night. More than 10 inches on Tug Hill Montague area, while nearby BREIA accumulated at least 6 inches of fresh new powder on top of a healthy crusty base.
                  "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Nearly 2' in Old Forge. Roads were closed last night due to BLIZZARD conditions. Back to normal today.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
                      Nearly 2' in Old Forge. Roads were closed last night due to BLIZZARD conditions. Back to normal today.
                      hmm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tug Hill ("The Lesser Wilderness"), town of Montague.
                        Attached Files
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Wldrns - That is a dusting compared to what they might get buy Wednesday. Possibly another 4 to 5' coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                            Good XC on the BREIA trails and off trail in the woods near Boonville yesterday and today. Tug Hill has many inches of fluffy new snow over a deep hard older base.
                            I've enjoyed BREIA both on and off trail for many years. I'd like to try the Tug Hill area, but don't know where to go. I was in Buck Hill State Forest this past weekend - is that considered part of Tug Hill? I'm not necessarily looking for groomed trails. I'm used to/prefer breaking my own trail. Any direction you could give me would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK123 View Post
                              I've enjoyed BREIA both on and off trail for many years. I'd like to try the Tug Hill area, but don't know where to go.
                              The DEC web site has info and maps for several Tug Hill cross country ski trail networks.

Comment

Originally posted by adkh20 View Post
                                The DEC web site has info and maps for several Tug Hill cross country ski trail networks.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/353.html
                                Awesome. Thank you. I look forward to checking it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X