Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #141
WalksWithBlackflies
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

This past weekend: A decent swarm of my brethren on the summit of Giant. Mosquitoes were horrible on the Washbowl trail.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #142
earn my turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post
I am not attempting to conquer nature and it isn't a matter of ignorance - it is just attempting to alter our environment to make it more bearable - just like building a shelter (house).

I understand that most everything has its place in the ecosystem. I am not suggesting we eradicate the blackfly - just lower the numbers of the ones that swarm/bite me.
They said the same thing about kudzu as being the ultimate slope stabilization 30 years ago. No one told it that it wasn't supposed to leave the slopes. ooops!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #143
Hobbitling
spring fever

How is the localized use of dead, freeze-dried bacterial protein, to kill a tiny fraction of the black flies in the adirondacks the same as introducing a potentially invasive species?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #144
SJUSTORM15

Any reports from Indian Lake yet?
SJUSTORM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #145
JClimbs
Callousedhand

Black flies are figments of your imagination. All the blood streaming down your neck is a pigment of your imagination. The withered husks of hikers you pass during the day are, as well.
Do not try to avoid the Black Fly with your mind...only think, "there is no black fly."
JClimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #146
AngusPSIU

Few bugs at Fish Creek

Camped at Fish Creek Ponds this weekend. Very few black flies (no bites). Some mosquitoes. Wind helped, but even the first calm evening, nothing bad.
AngusPSIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #147
woodcamper

Black nasties

I am paddling with friends on and near Rollins Pond. Unless the State shuts down that week! Any black fly reports for that area and up through Follensby Clear Pond area?

Thanks in advance.

Wood
woodcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #148
b00tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcamper View Post
I am paddling with friends on and near Rollins Pond. Unless the State shuts down that week! Any black fly reports for that area and up through Follensby Clear Pond area?

Thanks in advance.

Wood
But, a gov't shut down is a pretty good time to head to the backwoods!
b00tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #149
woodcamper

True, a very good time to be in the woods. I will just need a new base camp!
woodcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #150
dharter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUSTORM15 View Post
Any reports from Indian Lake yet?
Any reports? Going up 6/25. How about the deer flies or the stable flies? Trying a new campsite this year for the annual trip (sites #9+10, Green island). I've been waiting 358 days for this. Flies or not.
dharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #151
natrdude

Question Mosquitoes

I was just at Salmon River Reservoir this past week and the mosquitoes were relentless 24/7 for 4 days. I was going to take a 7-10 day kayak trip up through the St Regis Canoe Area next week. Anyone know how bad the mosquitoes are in this area right now?

And yes, the White Nose Syndrome killing off our bats and increasing the insect populations have definitely been noticeable in the Adirondacks.

Thanks for any info about the skeeters in St Regis Area!

Natrdude
natrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #152
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Those stinkin' Deer Flies

OK, last week it was the lower Cedar, the week before it was the Flow and the upper Cedar, and today, it was the Kaydeross, the paddling was great, but that's not the point.

All 3 times I was eaten alive by Horse and Deer Flies, while my darling bride barely had any of them around her.
The only difference between us, other than the obvious, was that she wore sunscreen and I did not. She has very fair skin and burns easily so she slathers up always. Whereas I can count on one hand the number of sunburns I have had in my life, so I rarely use any protection of that sort.

Could that be keeping the flies away???

About halfway through our paddling today, in total desperation, I used her Hawaiian tropic 50 SPF sunscreen lotion.
From the moment I smeared the stuff on, not only did I not get another bite, but I also lost my constant cadre of 6 or 8 or 10 little friends. I couldn't believe it!! Did I spend the last few outings suffering (and I do mean suffering!) needlessly, when all I had to do was smell like a public beach?
I would still see the occasional deer fly zoom by, but it didn't stick around and completely gone was the orbiting throngs...

Anyone else have similar experiences?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #153
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post

About halfway through our paddling today, in total desperation, I used her Hawaiian tropic 50 SPF sunscreen lotion.
From the moment I smeared the stuff on, not only did I not get another bite, but I also lost my constant cadre of 6 or 8 or 10 little friends. I couldn't believe it!! Did I spend the last few outings suffering (and I do mean suffering!) needlessly, when all I had to do was smell like a public beach?
I would still see the occasional deer fly zoom by, but it didn't stick around and completely gone was the orbiting throngs...

Anyone else have similar experiences?
No, But if that's what worked, you just sold me on that, versus the earlier concoction I tried on this thread of the equal amounts of Fly Dope and Citrinella Oil. That Stuff (Fly Dope) Stinks to HIGH HEAVEN and would keep any living animal/human with in 500 Ft of me, Clearly away from me! P-U.

I would much MUCH rather smell like a Coconut, hands down.

What I want to know is if it works on BlackFlies?

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote