Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #121
cityboy

[QUOTE=Pumpkin QAAD;189988]The one down side I could see is that the state doesn't manage the land as well as the private users, particularly for hunting. It's not a coincidence the biggest bucks in the Adirondacks come off property like what Gooley leased.

As a hunter I agree with you. I'm pretty sure Finch Pruyn was given 20 years to log (even on the part sold to NYS) so the hunting should be good for at least that long. I think but am not certain that logging on wilderness land is not allowed so I think it will eventually go down hill. Even the Indians used to burn to renew the land so maybe with Global warming nature will take care of the problem for us.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #122
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
"If we were to use referendums"

DuctTape we do use referendums for land questions. I distinctly recall a few years back voting on a land swap from some adirondack hamlet with NYS land. It passed I believe.
If we are thinking of the same ballot, this was a Constitutional Amendment which as its final step was for public vote. A Constitutional Amendment is very different from a referendum. I am not sure our State Constitution even allows for legislation to be based on public referendum (unlike California).

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #123
TBPDPTI

cityboy:

Regarding logging, you are correct. The lands which are owned by NYS are to be transferred into the NYS Forest Preserve. Those are the lands protected by the NYS constitution, and are not able to logged, according to that writ.

The other 56: Summer: 53/56(1st); 12/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 3/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #124
geogymn

This being a purely speculative question: With the recovery of forested land across NY state is there a concern with supply not meeting demand?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #125
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
This being a purely speculative question: With the recovery of forested land across NY state is there a concern with supply not meeting demand?
What do you mean?

I know that supply to the mill in Glenns Falls will be fine with the concessions in the plan. Even with this land purchase there's still a lot of park in private hands (remmber most finch lands will still be managed). Lumber prices are up some but definately well of the highs. Certain wood was hard to sell last year and firewood has gone up in price. But maybe I'm not getting the question.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #126
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
What do you mean?

I know that supply to the mill in Glenns Falls will be fine with the concessions in the plan. Even with this land purchase there's still a lot of park in private hands (remmber most finch lands will still be managed). Lumber prices are up some but definately well of the highs. Certain wood was hard to sell last year and firewood has gone up in price. But maybe I'm not getting the question.
Sorry about the vague question. Maybe it should of been is there enough manageable land, both private and state, to meet the demands of this renewable resource ? I don't mean the aesthetic demand but rather, fuel needs, pulp needs, lumber needs, etc? Does NY have enough forest land for manufacturers?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #127
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Hard to say with housing construction in the pits the last few years and demand down. But even without finch there is a lot of lumber produced in NYS and a vital industry for upstate NY. 18 million acres are forested in NYS.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...f/economic.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...df/2010tpo.pdf
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #128
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Hard to say with housing construction in the pits the last few years and demand down. But even without finch there is a lot of lumber produced in NYS and a vital industry for upstate NY. 18 million acres are forested in NYS.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...f/economic.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...df/2010tpo.pdf
Wow, that answers a lot of questions. Thanks for the links!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #129
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

But again that finch land has been run perfectly for many years to produce the wood that the market wants and in good quality(just like the hunting example). I think the state or the nature conservancy really balanced it out well by getting the conservation easements and allowing the forestry management to continue on a large portion of the property.

I'm amazed at all the moving parts in this and that it still worked. Hopefully the land classification process isn't a slugfest.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #130
jan

I freely admit I'm just impatient and don't want to wait five more years to access this property...that being said, it really bugs me that the NC spouts off about how wonderful this will be for the public who've been denied access for 100 years and how great it will be for the local economies. They use that argument to raise funds and polish their image, but they've done nothing to allow access. In fact, they spent some of those funds on NO TRESPASSING signs. It didn't take them long to sell 92,000 acres to a logging company (so much for protecting the forest). Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for logging jobs etc. It just burns me that they seem to be hypocrites when it comes to allowing access.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote