Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #1

Air rifles for hunting

We had a thread about air rifles , Missouri has just past a law to allow large calliber air rifles for deer hunting.
I wonder if NY would try it ?? likely durring rifle season but being a single loader .....

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2008-...-for-old-deer/

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
chaser
pond jockey

Fur, Fish & Game's February issue has an article about using big bore air guns for big game in it. I'd never even knew other states allowed it before reading it.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Does using my Red Rider against Peromyscus maniculatus count while at deer camp?
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #4

Only as practice chair rock , sight picture , trigger squeeze , lead on a moving mouse , safe background behind the target ,

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
chaser
pond jockey

The Red Rider has to be safer than the darts and Buck knives I've seen thrown at mice at hunting camp.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Sasquatch

Lewis and Clark carried a hand pumped air rifle on their voyage. If I remember correctly, they weren't impressed. I read the article in FFG as well. I'm not overly interested in trying it. Now, using an atlatl in PA sounds interesting, and yes, it's legal.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
CM_Stewart

Anybody know for sure if NY even allows air rifles for hunting small game? The regs specify gun or bow, but "gun" is not defined anywhere in NY Statutes. I sent an email question to the DEC a couple days ago (asking about air guns and blow guns) and haven't heard back yet.

Sasquatch - I'd double check the PA regs before hitting the field with an atlatl. It was proposed but I believe the proposal was tabled rather than approved.

Last edited by CM_Stewart; 02-14-2008 at 07:11 PM..
CM_Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #8

[QUOTE=CM_Stewart;88351]Anybody know for sure if NY even allows air rifles for hunting small game? The regs specify gun or bow, but "gun" is not defined anywhere in NY Statutes. I sent an email question to the DEC a couple days ago (asking about air guns and blow guns) and haven't heard back yet.
QUOTE]

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

Seems like a good guideline to follow.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
CM_Stewart

I finally got my reply from the DEC. Air rifles are not legal for hunting small game and upland game birds in New York, but they are legal for hunting unprotected species (red squirrels, woodchucks, starlings, english sparrows, pigeons, etc.). The reply noted that a hunting license is required to hunt unprotected species.
CM_Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #10

Yep , license required , good investment anyway
I usually just buy the sportsman , covers fishing , small and big game for $37
Funny , the laws <rolling eyes > , You can shoot a woodchuck with an air rifle ( or pistol ) but can't shoot a Grey squrrill with one